Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

D-Air: Incredible Technology

Have a go at this impressive bit of tech from Dainese.......... this is the reason we don't need to have prototype bikes and parts taken away for the sake of "close racing"....

Technology like this just wouldn't happen without the technology barrier being pushed.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63765

Simoncelli first at deploying D-air

By Toby Moody Saturday, November 3rd 2007, 10:50 GMT

Marco Simoncelli yesterday became the first motorcycle racer to have taken advantage of an air bag system integrated into his leathers when he crashed off his Gilera 250cc bike at Valencia.

The Dainese D-air is an independent system solely carried on the rider that comprises of three accelerometer, three gyros and a GPS system all fully enclosed into the rider's aerodynamic 'hump' on his back.

When these sensors sense a low side or high side, the system deploys by using software that took three years to write.

A small battery powers the device that then can inflate the 37-litre air bag in less than 40 milliseconds.

Cleverly, so far as motorcycle racers are concerned, should the device deploy and the rider is not injured, nor his bike damaged, the system can be detached, enabling the rider to continue racing.

Tests were initially done using a stunt rider (pictured).

Like the advent of full face helmets and back protectors, this new device may well be adopted in everyday motorcycle racing.

Dainese are continuing development for road usage.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great idea, which probably won't get much further than the very top level of racing due to cost (I suspect that the airbags will be destroyed with each deployment that successfully prevents/reduces injury). But if it hits the shops I'd be interested in it for road riding.

What can be done to protect the hip/pelvis area in highsides? That's the big one (other than spinal damage, of course).
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah, you'd need the full "Michelin Man" suit to protect from every crash.
    I believe the main focus of these Dainese ones is to stop collar bone injuries. Very cool.