Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MotoGP - Phillip Island

Seeing as since there hasn't been a thread started on this , especially since half of this board are Aussies, I figure I will try give a bit of a preview to this round.

MotoGP
    Phillip Island is a picturesque, flowing riders track that allows a lot of riders to overcome their bikes deficiencies. The racing is usually tight and fierce with the weather being a real wildcard given the track is situated on the Southern Coast of Victoria. With such a deep field in MotoGP, probably two-thirds of the grid are a realistic podium chance if things go their way. Following is a bit of a rundown on the protagonists:

The main contenders
    Obviously if we're talking the main men, newly crowned World Champ and 07 season dominator, Casey Stoner, has to be first cab off the rank. Casey has been supreme all year and with the weight of the title now off his back, he is free to go for broke. Conversely, crowd favourite Valentino Rossi also now has nothing to lose and wins to gain so he can race at or past his very limit. The Hondas are becoming stronger as the season progresses and both Nicky Hayden and Marco Melandri have done well at the seaside circuit in the past and should figure up the front again. Dani Pedrosa has had a solid second season and should never be discounted but Phillip Island hasn't always been kind to him. Suzuki have been the real find of MotoGP in 07 and Chris Vermeulen has proven to be very quick, wet or dry, if he knows the circuit. His teammate, John Hopkins, has had a very impressive season to date securing his first podium positions. Will the Anglo-American be able to snare his first win this weekend at a place that hasn't seen his strongest performances.

The outsiders
    Loris Capirossi and Alex Barros two are old warhorses that haven't had the best of seasons. Both are fast at the Island and on their day are still capable of springing the odd surprise. The Kawasaki Racing Team are much improved this year, earning their first podium of the year at the last round in Japan via Randy de Puniet. Randy was very fast in qualifying last year in Aus and will be keen to turn that into a fast race pace this year. Ant West is a real dark horse and will be really pumped to come to his home round on competitive machinery for the first time. Japan saw his strongest qualifying result and had it not been for a ride through penalty for a jump start, he may well have got his first podium. Colin Edwards has raced the Island on many occasions and knows all the tricks and even though his year has been less than stellar, he has a solid record there and is certainly capable of giving the top guys the hurry-up. Toni Elias could do absolutely anything this weekend. If all clicks he will really add some spice to the race and is highly entertaining to watch.

Bringing up the rear
    The Tech3 Yamaha boys of Sylvain Guintoli and Makoto Tamada have had a trying year on underperforming Yamaha's and inferior, though improving, Dunlop tyres. Veteran, Carlos Checa will be keen to do well in his final Australian GP but recent form says he will struggle. Keep an eye on these three though if rain falls which is a high possibility. Chaz Davies has the opportunity of a lifetime in replacing the sacked Alex Hofmann at Pramac Ducati for the rest of the year. He will be up against it but was superb in his fill-in ride for the team at Laguna earlier this year and may surprise. Shinya Nakano has been most disappointing this year, struggling on an under-developed Honda and finding it difficult to come to terms on Michelin tires again. Unlikely to feature very high. Finally, bringing up the rear for team KR is Kurtis Roberts. KR are really struggling in every facet and Kurtis will be doing well to make the qualifying cut-off and not get lapped in the race.

Well, that's my MotoGP preview. If anyone wants to do a 250 and 125 one then feel free. I gotta go pack ready to leave tomorrow. Ciao!
    Get off my lawn

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Nice review there... whats the weather meant to be like down there?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nicely done mate Ill just make my predictions.. Better do wet and dry..

MotoGP:

Wet-
    1. West
    2. Vermeulen
    3. Melandri

Dry-
    1. Stoner
    2. Rossi
    3. Hayden

250:

Wet-
    1. Dovizioso
    2. Kallio
    3. DeAngelis

Dry-
    1. Lorenzo
    2. DeAngelis
    3. Aoyama

125:

Wet-
    1. DiMeglio
    2. Smith
    3. Pasini

Dry-
    1. Pasini
    2. Faubel
    3. Pesek

Cant wait, bring it
    I opened up all the windows..the air is cold, the tub is boiling hot..It's like Sweden, man. Sweden!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I am busting with excitment atmo

I dont know if its too ambitious to go for an all-aussie podium but hey a girl can dream cant she

Casey been the fastest in the two practice sessions to date and unless something drastic happens he wont be caught on Sunday
    Casey Stoner: 2007 World Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If its an all wet race Sunday. I reckon it maybe just a fair bet to go with Aussie 1,2,3... Melandri is pretty good also in the wet and will be up there amoungst it too.

If its Dry!!! its going to be pretty hectic at the pointy end. Casey will be damn hard to run with in the dry I predict, let alone catch... and maybe Loris will go hard with him also to if he can get up the grid during qualifying... Iam waiting to see how Chris and Ant do in final qualifiying also, team green are looking a little dangerous too should be fun....

Go the Aussies mokin:
    #1 #7 #13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've started getting the annual phonecalls from my 'mates' at PI - I answer the phone to hear the bikes howling past, bastages
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom
    I've started getting the annual phonecalls from my 'mates' at PI - I answer the phone to hear the bikes howling past, bastages
    thats what my mate did when he was working @ the F1 GP in Melbourne
    Casey Stoner: 2007 World Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Isnt it a sign Phantom, that you should get your arse down there
    I opened up all the windows..the air is cold, the tub is boiling hot..It's like Sweden, man. Sweden!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom
    +1, but replace mates with bike obsessed uncle.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Stoner is damn fast on race tyres, really quick, alot quicker than the others anyway.. Good quali laps from Pedders and Rossi but still unsure about their race pace..

Westy was in the top five on race tyres, just struggled with his qualy rubber, both Kwaks should be strong for the race with DePuniet looking damn quick on qualy tyres, as usual.. Suzook = wtf? Hope the race is dry, bring it on

Davies is about where its to be expected but im sure he'll hope for a better race..