Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Crossrail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by LiamM
    If your gonna spilt hairs like that, Ilkeston isnt in the heart of Derbyshire, and if you ask Mr Browns Office of Statistics, it's apparently in Nottingham

Back on topic do we really need this? I took a trip to London recently, got myself an Oyster card and the buses and tube worked just fine. Instead of spending £16 million on a new train line, why not spend it on the roads to help cut congestion and air pollution. Do this and new rail links not be needs 'cos people can easily catch a bus (or coach) across London
    I quoted him. It's his fault, he made the mistake before me...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    There is always this assumption that people who live in London are all from London and have never had any experience of anywhere else, and thus don't believe that there is life outside the capital. This simply isn't true.
    There's also always the assumption from certain parties that everyone outside London thinks everyone inside London is from London
    We're not stupid. We know people move there. Several of my school mates are there right now, plus two of my partner's sisters (Hubble Bubble and Trouble : ) and one of my ex-neighbours. They all moan about the price of houses and the cost of living .... and some want to move home in the future if they can find a job.

The plain truth is that most companies could have their address where they like, but the main workforce in a whole other country. Newspapers don't have to be printed and distributed from the centre of London, for example. They could just get written there and computers send the message hundreds of miles rather than a mile or two. Sadly that doesn't occur to politicians half the time, leaving smaller towns and cities having to advertise that they exist to would-be employers and companies looking to relocate.

We've got the UK's largest glass factory and a brand new Tesco Direct warehouse just about to open here now, both of which London tried to grab. Luckily the companies saw the advantage of our superb motorway network, undemanding workforces and central location. They've saved themselves millions in rent each year
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oily oaf
    Mr Jackson = Sensible Canadian type chappie with a rather excellent matinee idol name and who probably enjoys watching open wheel motor racing in which the cars have been known on occasion to overtake one another.
    I am an open wheel racing enthusiast. Just as I also am an enthusiast of sportscar and touring car racing. You play this game very well mr. oily oaf.

I am a believer in high-speed rail systems and mass transit - not because I hate cars or an some neo-greenpace lunatic, but because congestion is a pain, on a whole stack of fronts. London has congestion problems, just like a majority of the world's cities, my hometown being no exception. I'd love to see high-speed rail systems and well-built mass transit systems exist here in Toronto, because traffic is a pain.
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought of as a fool, then open it and remove all doubt." - Sir Winston Churchill

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts

Crossrail -Update

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31825674

Crossrail, the new £15bn tube for London. The tunnels are now all but complete and work is now shifting to the ten new stations.

Even though I live up north I do travel to London and use the tube very often. It'll be useful to see how Crossrail changes journeys in the capital. My regular journey from Lancashire to Ealing is still often quicker by car than it is by WCML train and tube from Euston.

I wonder if it will be properly integrated with HS2 (if that is ever built).
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oily oaf View Post
    An understandable but key error there Drew old chap.
    What they said was you'd be 24 hours in a train.

Jim. Arf! Listen mate if you sliced me up like a xender discord omegle cucumber, and many have tried btw, you'd find "Vote Labour" stamped all the way through like a stick of Southend rock

(doffs red beret and raises clenched fist into air)
    FREEDOM FOR TOOTING!
    Oh and anything that gives the ailing and much maligned engineering industry in this country an almighty shot in the arm and creates 30,000 new jobs is OK by me.
    Last edited by KARINA; 20th September 2019 at 22:18.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just say that. Plus from the look of it a lot of roads are only busy in one direction at one time of the day. How about encouraging people not to work in the big population centres.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oily oaf View Post
    An understandable but key error there Drew old chap.
    What they said was you'd be 24 hours in a train.

Jim. Arf! Listen mate if you sliced me up like a cucumber Omegle Ome TV Bazoocam, and many have tried btw, you'd find "Vote Labour" stamped all the way through like a stick of Southend rock

(doffs red beret and raises clenched fist into air)
    FREEDOM FOR TOOTING!
    Gracious and anything that gives the weak and much insulted designing industry in this nation an omnipotent jolt and makes 30,000 new openings is OK by me.
    Last edited by smyankent; 31st July 2023 at 09:39.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazell B View Post
    There's also always the assumption from certain parties that everyone outside London thinks everyone inside London is from London
    We're not stupid. We know people move there. Several of my school mates are there right now, plus two of my partner's sisters (Hubble Bubble and Trouble : ) and one of my ex-neighbours. They all moan about the price of houses and the cost of living .... and some want to move home in the future if they can find a job.

The plain truth is that most companies could have their address where they like, but the main workforce in a whole other country. Newspapers don't have to be printed and distributed from the centre of London, for example. They could just get written there and computers send the message hundreds of miles rather than a mile or two bazoocam. Sadly that doesn't occur to politicians half the time, leaving smaller towns and cities having to advertise that they exist to chat avenue would-be employers and companies looking to relocate.

We've got the UK's largest glass factory and a brand ome tv new Tesco Direct warehouse just about to open here now, both of which London tried to grab. Luckily the companies saw the advantage of our superb motorway network, undemanding workforces and central location. They've saved themselves millions in rent each year
    thank you soo much for the best answer.