Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Crossrail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Excuse me, but is there any need to be quite so confrontational all the time? What I just said was a perfectly reasonable comment, and I don't think it requires any further explanation.
    I was having a joke I was merely frustrated (at myself) for not having any ideas that weren't already being put into practice
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark

It would be nice just to build a load of new houses in a previously unpopulated area, but of course people need jobs, and those jobs tend to be in London, you just get people commuting in instead, and so the cycle continues

That's what I was trying to say, why have the jobs in London in the first place?

PA Listings, a media information firm, left London to come to a village near here. Now the village is full of their employees and it's brilliant for all concerned. The company has low overheads being in a low rent area, the staff moved out of the city and have bigger, nicer homes in a great setting and better schools, plus the locals had extra customers for their car dealerships, shops and so on. House prices rose a bit, but we can live with that. Those thousand people are better off, thanks to a forward thinking company. Why can't others do the same thing?

We can read, write and count outside London :
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I was having a joke I was merely frustrated (at myself) for not having any ideas that weren't already being put into practice
    OK, apologies. I couldn't tell on this occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazell B
    That's what I was trying to say, why have the jobs in London in the first place?

PA Listings, a media information firm, left London to come to a village near here. Now the village is full of their employees and it's brilliant for all concerned. The company has low overheads being in a low rent area, the staff moved out of the city and have bigger, nicer homes in a great setting and better schools, plus the locals had extra customers for their car dealerships, shops and so on. House prices rose a bit, but we can live with that. Those thousand people are better off, thanks to a forward thinking company. Why can't others do the same thing?

We can read, write and count outside London :
    But, like it or not, having a London address is probably more 'useful' (I can't think of a better word) to many companies as things stand than one near where you live. This is probably rather sad, but it's definitely the case. In addition, relocating a whole business isn't an easy process because of family ties, etc. And there's the fact that London, like it or not, is the capital and will always have certain advantages as a result.

The establishment of a federal system of government would probably have had the effect it's had in many mainland European countries of decentralising business as well as power, but there has never been much of an appetite for it, sadly. Neither would it necessarily be practical for reasons too numerous to go into here (sorry, Daniel... ).

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    But, like it or not, having a London address is probably more 'useful' (I can't think of a better word) to many companies as things stand than one near where you live. This is probably rather sad, but it's definitely the case. In addition, relocating a whole business isn't an easy process because of family ties, etc. And there's the fact that London, like it or not, is the capital and will always have certain advantages as a result.

The establishment of a federal system of government would probably have had the effect it's had in many mainland European countries of decentralising business as well as power, but there has never been much of an appetite for it, sadly. Neither would it necessarily be practical for reasons too numerous to go into here (sorry, Daniel... ).
    Oi! Stop pointing out my inability to think of things that are already unthunk

I love the fact that my work isn't in the middle of a bustling city Today I walked to the shop and it was quite nice. I love the fact that my quality of life is better than that which I'd have in the middle of London or Manchester. But that's just me. But I'm a simple person and I prefer the fact that I have woods about 2 minutes walk from home over having "good" nightlife. I suspect a lot of people agree with me but there are many more who would find where I live incredibly boring!
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    You see the same thing on the likes of "Relocation, Relocation", where they like the idea of moving out of London, but want to keep a 'crash pad' because they think there is no live outside of the capital.. Of course they then give up the crash pad idea when the realise there is civilisation outside of the M25
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    You see the same thing on the likes of "Relocation, Relocation", where they like the idea of moving out of London, but want to keep a 'crash pad' because they think there is no live outside of the capital.. Of course they then give up the crash pad idea when the realise there is civilisation outside of the M25
    I ventured north of the M25 once.
    I had to turn back after my car was sacked by warlike Picts who tried to tune my car radio into Radio Alfred The Great FM
    Oh golly Oh gosh Had a lie on the couch with a nice bit o' posh from Burnham-On-Crouch:mad:

There is always this assumption that people who live in London are all from London and have never had any experience of anywhere else, and thus don't believe that there is life outside the capital. This simply isn't true.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    There was a featured quote on the BBC website about the budget report which said "Before the chancellor thinks about taxing us all more to fly and use our cars, how about some investment in public transport outside London?".
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blimey I've just learned of another good reason not to go "up Norf".
    Apparently the clubbers in Yorkshire have taken to injecting liquid estacy into themselves using dental syringes.
    They call it "E by gum"

I'm here till 22nd October. After that I won't be. (he said mysteriously) murf:
    Oh golly Oh gosh Had a lie on the couch with a nice bit o' posh from Burnham-On-Crouch:mad: