Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crossrail

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazell B
    What a load of utter and complete poo

30,000 new jobs from a simple rail link? I don't think so. How do they come up with these figures, I wonder?
    Even if it's anywhere near true, wouldn't all those people wanting homes just add to the high cost of living in the areas that are already too costly to buy a home in? Why not stick those new jobs somewhere that could do with a boost (where was that ex-Rover plant, again?) and halve the cost of building a new rail link there?
    It's the age old problem, you have an area of high demand, then you succumb to that demand and build more houses and thus the demand grows exponentially.

It would be nice just to build a load of new houses in a previously unpopulated area, but of course people need jobs, and those jobs tend to be in London, you just get people commuting in instead, and so the cycle continues
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Encouraging people to work from home would be a good start.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Encouraging people to work from home would be a good start.
    Encouraging employers to have non-standard hours and staggered starts would help too. Plus from the look of it a lot of roads are only busy in one direction at one time of the day. How about encouraging people not to work in the big population centres. They did that in Perth with having a "satellite" city and it's helped with traffic issues as people aren't all going the same way at the same time.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Encouraging employers to have non-standard hours and staggered starts would help too.
    Indeed it would, though this has become more normal anyway.

Plus from the look of it a lot of roads are only busy in one direction at one time of the day.
    As are a lot of trains.

How about encouraging people not to work in the big population centres. They did that in Perth with having a "satellite" city and it's helped with traffic issues as people aren't all going the same way at the same time.
    With the London commuter belt having expanded so much over the years, the impact of doing this may have been reduced. In any case, many large companies have chosen to locate their main premises in nearby towns in the south-east like Reading and Slough, and traffic congestion in those places can itself be bad. Building new towns isn't really an option anywhere, either.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Not necessarily. Doesn't need to be new towns either. If people are travelling 50 miles East to go to London then make them travel 50 miles West The place I work in could be in London but it isn't and I suspect that's because of subsidies from the Welsh assembly to get businesses to set up shop in Wales. A few years ago there would have been nothing here and now there's a business park and houses and a lot of people who would have been travelling to Liverpool, Chester and Manchester don't I was lucky enough when I was living in Perth to be able to get the train in the whole way or get dropped off close to work and take the bus to work. If I'd had to drive to my job (in the middle of Perth) it would have been horrid.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As Dave's explained it so well, I shall change my tune and sing it's praises in York Minster on sunday.

28,000 graffiti removal personnel sounds a superb way to spend our cash. They'll need the minimum wage plus a tenner, what with heroin being so expensive darn sarf :
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Not necessarily. Doesn't need to be new towns either. If people are travelling 50 miles East to go to London then make them travel 50 miles West
    They are already doing so.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    They are already doing so.
    Can you not use that as an answer to everything please Let me have at least one valid point which hasn't already been put into place

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    The thing that gets me is that Manchester and Leeds were both wanting relatively small amounts of money for their tram systems and they were refused. But this gets the go ahead.
    Because sometimes, just sometimes, we Londoners like to have our tax money spent on ourselves for a change :P

Can you not use that as an answer to everything please Let me have at least one valid point which hasn't already been put into place
    Excuse me, but is there any need to be quite so confrontational all the time? What I just said was a perfectly reasonable comment, and I don't think it requires any further explanation.