Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossrail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think such a system is a good idea for a number of reasons. First off, anything that decreases traffic congestion is ALWAYS a good thing, is it not? And new roads is kinda hard to do in a city the size of London, is it not?
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought of as a fool, then open it and remove all doubt." - Sir Winston Churchill

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    The thing that gets me is that Manchester and Leeds were both wanting relatively small amounts of money for their tram systems and they were refused. But this gets the go ahead.
    Tram projects have been rejected in London too.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentJackson
    I think such a system is a good idea for a number of reasons. First off, anything that decreases traffic congestion is ALWAYS a good thing, is it not? And new roads is kinda hard to do in a city the size of London, is it not?
    Yes and yes.

This project hasn't just been dreamed up for the hell of it. There are all sorts of reasons why this is necessary, congestion on existing routes being a primary one. It will certainly plug a big gap in London's transport provision and make certain journeys much, much easier. However, the claim of 30,000 jobs is ridiculous. These things are always overstated.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamM
    Instead of spending £16 million on a new train line, why not spend it on the roads to help cut congestion and air pollution.
    One tube train on average takes 500 cars off the roads in the first place which in theory saves on pollution and most certainly congestion.

Building infrastructure generally shows forthought and planning on the part of government and as Mr Jackson has pointed out, you can't really build any new roads through the capital anyway, hence the reason for the underground in the first place.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    One tube train on average takes 500 cars off the roads in the first place which in theory saves on pollution and most certainly congestion.

Building infrastructure generally shows forthought and planning on the part of government and as Mr Jackson has pointed out, you can't really build any new roads through the capital anyway, hence the reason for the underground in the first place.
    Mr Jackson = Sensible Canadian type chappie with a rather excellent matinee idol name and who probably enjoys watching open wheel motor racing in which the cars have been known on occasion to overtake one another.

Hehehehe I had the feeling this one would ruffle the feathers of the non London dwelling populace I can hear the blood thundering in your temples folks.
    I tell ya what though, I bet that famous old railway buff and cloth cap wearing Northern bloke Fred Dibnah would have been all in favour.
    'E liked a bit of engineering did Fred

(blows long blast on steam whistle, lights pipe and settles down to watch a History Channel Special in which Londoners are widely implicated in the onset of Global Warming, the shifting of the tectonic plates, Stalin's Great Terror, The Tsunami, The Holocaust, Scotland's failure to do quite well in the football World Cup, the slow destruction of The Great Barrier Reef, Australians, famine in Africa, the awarding of a recording contract to The Cheeky Girls, the attempted assassination ofJ R Ewing, the rise of fascism in 1930s Spain and Noel Edmunds).
    Persecution complex? Moi?
    Oh golly Oh gosh Had a lie on the couch with a nice bit o' posh from Burnham-On-Crouch:mad:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamM
    If your gonna spilt hairs like that, Ilkeston isnt in the heart of Derbyshire, and if you ask Mr Browns Office of Statistics, it's apparently in Nottingham

Back on topic do we really need this? I took a trip to London recently, got myself an Oyster card and the buses and tube worked just fine. Instead of spending £16 million on a new train line, why not spend it on the roads to help cut congestion and air pollution. Do this and new rail links not be needs 'cos people can easily catch a bus (or coach) across London
    Split hairs, me? nah, I was having a joke with Oily. Not sure about Mr Browns Office of Statistics, but I do know the towns folk of Ilson would have some thing to say about the county they think they live in
    England, Land of Hope and Curry :)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    16 mill sterling eh? That seems very cheap for a railway line.

Maybe Mark can tell me this fact is right, but wasn't the Tyne and Wear Metro somewhere in the region of 180 million back in the 80s? And they already had track going round...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monaro Doorslammer

Maybe Mark can tell me this fact is right, but wasn't the Tyne and Wear Metro somewhere in the region of 180 million back in the 80s? And they already had track going round...
    16 BILLION Beemer old chap.
    Cheap at 'alf the price IMHO

Curryhead. Wolfie Smiff not a Cockney?!!!!!!
    Be'ave yerself! You'll be telling me next that Del Boy was born in Leighton Buzzard and that Her Majesty The Queen comes from a long line of bloody Germans
    Oh golly Oh gosh Had a lie on the couch with a nice bit o' posh from Burnham-On-Crouch:mad:

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monaro Doorslammer
    Oooh you missed some zero's my old mucker, you can hardly get a grade seperated junction for that sort of cost these days.

Most of the track was existing outside of the city, but through Newcastle and Gateshead they had to bore new tunnels, build a new bridge across the Tyne, and a new viaduct past Byker. Some existing track was used but it was far from being just a simple matter of converting existing lines.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazell B
    What a load of utter and complete poo

30,000 new jobs from a simple rail link? I don't think so. How do they come up with these figures, I wonder?
    You don't use London railways much, do you? It's 2000 jobs building the thing, then 28000 people employed to clean the graffiti off!
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u