Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazz9908
    Makes out that we are no better than him.
    Remember that both the trial and the execution were carried out by Iraqi institutions.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by studiose
    Remember that both the trial and the execution were carried out by Iraqi institutions.
    Just like when Saddam was in power. Things haven't changed much.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeansBeansBeans
    I don't agree. The man needed to be tried for his crimes.
    The trail was never going to be fair and the outcome was inevitable.

I've seen a video of the rope being placed around his neck but I don't think the actual hanging will be shown.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    The trail was never going to be fair and the outcome was inevitable.
    Would you favour a world where the state is able to execute un-armed suspects without trial?

Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    Just like when Saddam was in power. Things haven't changed much.
    Interesting statement.

Before the invasion, Iraq was a stable dictatorship whose citizens could be executed basically because Saddam Hussein didn't like them. Now, Iraq is an unstable democracy whose citizens can only be executed if a court of law finds them guilty of a grievous crime.

Things haven't changed much...?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Interesting statement.

Before the invasion, Iraq was a stable dictatorship whose citizens could be executed basically because Saddam Hussein didn't like them. Now, Iraq is an unstable democracy whose citizens can only be executed if a court of law finds them guilty of a grievous crime.

Saddam's regime had courts too. I'm sure Iraqi citizens can still be executed if those now in power don't like them and claim it's a grievous crime in the eyes of the current government. The claims about death squads in Iraqi police and torture in Iraqi prisons may not be totally ungrounded.

Saddam was hanged because he punished those who tried to assasinate him. I'm sure it was a grievous crime in his eyes. I'm sure every nation would punish those trying to kill their leader. For example, the man who tried to assasinate Ronald Reagan in the 80s is still in prison. Isn't it inhumane? You don't get that long prison sentence just for an attempted murder here in Finland.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I suppose before the overthrow, people had to watch out for the government, now it's just anybody you don't know.

I feel sorry for the Iraqi people that have to live with this :\

Saddam was hanged because he punished those who tried to assasinate him. [...] I'm sure every nation would punish those trying to kill their leader.
    Let's not forget that the punishment was the killing of 148 people without trial. Can you please list all countries that are likely to produce this kind of a response to an attempted assassination of their leader?

For example, the man who tried to assassinate Ronald Reagan in the 80s is still in prison. Isn't it inhumane? You don't get that long prison sentence just for an attempted murder here in Finland.
    Different countries have different punishments. The severity of punishments in Finland is by no means the universal ideal, but just one of the options.

There a significant difference, however, between trying someone according to the laws of a country and simply killing opponents. Surely you must realize that.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Interesting statement. Now, Iraq is an unstable democracy whose citizens can only be executed if a court of law finds them guilty of a grievous crime.

FOX News roundup time?
    Seems there has been no shortage of executed citizens that are tortured and then shot in the back of the head, blown up etc. in Iraq daily.
    Executed is the correct wording.
    There has not been a need of a busy court doing overtime to bring it about.

Or is it just collateral damage?
    Won't you re-up for the greatest moral cause since Sodom and Gomorrah?

Quote Originally Posted by TOgoFASTER
    FOX News roundup time?
    Seems there has been no shortage of executed citizens that are tortured and then shot in the back of the head, blown up etc. in Iraq daily.
    Executed is the correct wording.
    There has not been a need of a busy court doing overtime to bring it about.

Or is it just collateral damage?
    No, it's murder. Carried out by persons who are not sanctioned by the Iraqi government.