Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

suspension tech help needed

Are there any suspension buffs out there who can help me find out how to determine the required roll stiffness of an anti roll bar?
    (Not the calcs for bar stiffness ) The calcs i need are for for required roll stiffness so i can design a bar to suit?
    If not do you know anyone who does or where i can find out?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abi_22
    Are there any suspension buffs out there who can help me find out how to determine the required roll stiffness of an anti roll bar?
    (Not the calcs for bar stiffness ) The calcs i need are for for required roll stiffness so i can design a bar to suit?
    If not do you know anyone who does or where i can find out?
    The required roll stiffness of an anti roll bar??

Just comments......

I think you're looking at the roll stiffness of the vehicle, or the front and rear suspensions, not the roll stiffness of the bar. In other words the required amount for the bar is that which is necessary to give the right amount for the vehicle.

The bar itself will have different torsion properties based on material and size (cross-section and length), but most of all, based on the length of the "arms" at each end.

As to the "required" amount for the vehicle... depends on what you want, or what the customer wants - is it a sports car? a luxo-cruiser? a racing car? a Mack truck? And it all ties in to spring rates and even shock settings, too. For example. if you have really soft springs but a very stiff anti roll bar, you could actually lift your inside wheel off the ground when cornering agressively - and if that's your drive wheel, and you don't have a limited slip diff... you won't be cornering fast for long.

Just some thoughts... Cheers
    //
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life.....unless I buy something.