Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you can't answer a few questions from Joe Public, perhaps you shouldn't be putting on the vest?

And I am sure I have never met you nor talked to you ever, so maybe you should stop insulting the people that go to spectate?
    Please tell me these 'important' things that marshalls have to do that would prevent them talking to the ordinary people?
    I will be rich, as soon as I invent a machine that can punch a man in the face over the internet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well iv got my info pack and registration number for when i apply for the National B licence from Motorsport Ireland and NOW i know when the rallies are on and where they are. Theres none on locally so might try head up to Donegal next month. There does'nt seem to be any affiliated motor clubs in Louth either. Right that info was easily got (though had to pay E20 for it), but when theres no local rallies and you dont know anyone else who's into rallying or where to look its not easy.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza2541
    If you can't answer a few questions from Joe Public, perhaps you shouldn't be putting on the vest?

And I am sure I have never met you nor talked to you ever, so maybe you should stop insulting the people that go to spectate?
    Please tell me these 'important' things that marshalls have to do that would prevent them talking to the ordinary people?

Sorry but what are you babbling on about?

Read what I said, I'm talking about being a competitor and having dopey speccies coming up to ask inane questions when we are about ready to go etc.

Spectators are mostly a pain in the butt, bring nothing to an event yet expect to be catered for. Only use they sometimes have is they may push you back onto the road when you come off.

When I asked how you got involved I assumed you were involved and not just a speccie, no wonder you didn't answer as you are not involved.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolton Midnight
    Sorry but what are you babbling on about?

Read what I said, I'm talking about being a competitor and having dopey speccies coming up to ask inane questions when we are about ready to go etc.

Spectators are mostly a pain in the butt, bring nothing to an event yet expect to be catered for. Only use they sometimes have is they may push you back onto the road when you come off.

When I asked how you got involved I assumed you were involved and not just a speccie, no wonder you didn't answer as you are not involved.
    I have been marshalling for 21 years, mostly on local events, but have done Ulster and the Circuit on a few occasions. IMHO, rallying is there for spectators without them there would be no sport. But then again that is an Irish perspective, I would not be qualified to talk about your events as they are foreign to me.
    I will be rich, as soon as I invent a machine that can punch a man in the face over the internet.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza2541
    IMHO, rallying is there for spectators without them there would be no sport.
    How's that then?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How's that then?
    No spectators mean there is no benefit for sponsers. No sponsers mean no rallying.

Do you think there is a link between the attitudes of 'hollier than thou' pricks like yourself and the decline of the the BRC?

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Sponsors, do you mean?

Do you really think the sponsors give a moments thought to a few bobble hatters stood mid stage?

Magazine, TV, web coverage is far more important to them.

Many events run a strict no spectator rule and they do fine.

For an event to run it needs organisers, then entries then marshals. I am glad to be all of those things as well as a holier than thou prick and not a spectator as they bring nothing to an event other than hassle and grief for the organisers.

The BRC is in decline because of poor management.

Don't spectate, marshal then you would be helping the sport.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey,
    Kind of new to these forums and started rallying last month myself. Im only 19 but found the best bet was to go to a local event and network. I found the events are actually very social (well in England anyway) by the end of the event was a load of people including many marshalls and competitors gathered and having a chat around the beer stand.

Just a thought, a friend of mine got into driving by starting as a navigator. Found it was very useful because it ment he could do few laps himself during test laps etc.

Wouldnt get fixated on getting a sponsor either, it may never happen. From what I've heard the lower end events you probably wouldnt get sponsored for but you might want to try a local radio station, write a formal letter explaining everything and list what they will get out of it. Here in Salisbury the local station has agreed to sponsor me but in return have to arrange VIP passes to local events (which they use as prizes to local listeners) and that I have to attend the local motor show every year (which is good publicity since the sponsored cars tend to be in the local papers/news).

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Sponsors, do you mean?

Do you really think the sponsors give a moments thought to a few bobble hatters stood mid stage?

For an event to run it needs organisers, then entries then marshals. I am glad to be all of those things as well as a holier than thou prick and not a spectator as they bring nothing to an event other than hassle and grief for the organisers.

The BRC is in decline because of poor management.

Don't spectate, marshal then you would be helping the sport.

I'd imagine that most marshals, competitors and mechanics get into the sport after watching it as a spectator. I have been spectating for many years and soon to start marshalling next year by getting involved with my local motor club (not that it's be much good as we don't have many events around Exeter ).

Also you must have noticed that although there are still quite a few spectators on these so called 'closed' events. And yes the sponsors do worry about spectators, maybe not in the bigger championships but certainly a lot of smaller teams have got to struggle because they don't get on TV.

While I agree that spectators like me can be a pain in the arse surely you'd have to be a t*** to complain about the decent folk out on the stages. Okay we don't have high vis vests but each one of us would be glad to help if a competitor was in trouble. Quit yer moaning :
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting post, rallying must be very healthy in your area because in mine our national championship has no tv coverage save for when someone gets hurt, magazine coverage is ok but limited to overall and class winners, maybe 10/15% of the entry in any rally typically gets a mention or photo. Web coverage, a web site updated a few days after events, yet people still get sponsors, maybe the 'bobble hatters' are more important than you think

I think I'll have to agree with your statement that 'I am glad to be all of those things as well as a holier than thou prick' although the rest of what you say IMO nonsense and you actually seem to be proud to display the attitude to fans that stopped me travelling each year to follow the RAC Rally/Rally GB
    Deep down I'm a sound bloke!