Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I definitely see Latvala as a champion of the future and I'm pretty sure Malcolm thinks that too. So based on that I don't think he would want to let him go to another team but on the other hand he is a year away from being a serious challenger. So what does Malcolm do? Not an easy decision for him - does he look short term or long term.

Ask yourself this question.

What does Malcolm do with Latvala in 2009 if he puts someone else in the team next year?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I agree Finni, petter is a somewhat underrated driver for the moment. I really wish for him to have som proper wheels and his spirit back. It would be very nice if Ford could get hold of him, but I guess old quarrels between him and Ford might hinder that a bit...
    Winner Best Signature Championship 2007! Winner of BSC 2008! Winner of BSC 2009!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My history is spotty pre-2000 so I can't say for sure (please correct me if I am wrong, I'd rather be wrong and learn something than just be wrong).

BUT

Has a single driver ever gone through such a bad spell as Petter after winning a championship and won a championship again? I can't recall a driver doing so poorly and then winning a championship again (but my historical knowledge is only for the most current era).

I think Petter's career as a championship contender is over...
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll take Duval over Latvala at Ford. Looking at Duval's current form, he hasn't faded at all. With Hirvonen on gravel and Duval on tarmac, Ford will have a quite good line up. I'm not so sure that Petter will go to Ford.

And for Suzuki, I want to see Gardemeister and Aava.
    Waiting for Subaru to come back to be :champion:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L5->R5/CR
    My history is spotty pre-2000 so I can't say for sure (please correct me if I am wrong, I'd rather be wrong and learn something than just be wrong).

BUT

Has a single driver ever gone through such a bad spell as Petter after winning a championship and won a championship again? I can't recall a driver doing so poorly and then winning a championship again (but my historical knowledge is only for the most current era).

I think Petter's career as a championship contender is over...
    I'm affraid you're right...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finni
    Seriously Petter Solberg is the only driver who could challenge Seb - with the good car. Solberg has shown in past years that he surely has measure of Marcus and Seb. His current form don't tell his potential (too many problems with Subaru).
    I totally agree. For a competative championship I do hope Petter goes to Ford.
    He's not my favorite driver, and I find it hard to buy all the excuses at the moment, but he is fast and can definitely be a championship contender in the right car. I'm sure he hasn't lost all his form.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curry
    Ask yourself this question.

What does Malcolm do with Latvala in 2009 if he puts someone else in the team next year?

I think Malcom has more important questions in his mind than Latvala conserning the year 2009. Like how to convince Ford to continue rallying program.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finni
    Seriously Petter Solberg is the only driver who could challenge Seb - with the good car. Solberg has shown in past years that he surely has measure of Marcus and Seb. His current form don't tell his potential (too many problems with Subaru).

I find Gardemaister and Duval - not to mention H. Solberg - as quite absurd alternatives to fill Ford's first seat. Gardemaister is good 2nd but that's it. I would rather take Atkinson than Garde in my team. Garde has never impressed me in terms of raw speed (watch for instance Germany this year). Duval has ultimate pace only on tarmac. On gravel he would have hard time to match Latvala's current pace.

If Solberg is excluded I see that Latvala is the best option. To me it seems that he has some reserves and potential to find ultimate top-pace of wrc.

If Solberg remains to Subaru and Subaru remains as last few years it's a bit scary to think Loeb's domination. Altough I think that there is fairly good chance to see Subaru's comeback to good form. However, Ford would be most safe option to Petter.
    I agree 100%
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    However, the bible of motorsports, Iltalehti which is never wrong say that it's Latvala who replaces Marcus.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/urheilu/2007...02835_ur.shtml
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    However, the bible of motorsports, Iltalehti which is never wrong say that it's Latvala who replaces Marcus.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/urheilu/2007...02835_ur.shtml
    I thought that this bible is Ilta-Sanomat...
    Martin Holmes about Sebastien Loeb: "Misery is being beaten when you just can't understand why".