Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts

Do you remember..

..where you were when some of the major events in history occurred ?

1963 November 22nd - JFK assassination
    1969 July 20th - Moon landing
    1977 August 16th - Elvis died
    1982 - Argentina's invasion of Falkland Islands
    1997 August 31st - Princess Diana's death
    2001 - 9/11
    2003 December 14th - Saddam Hussein captured
    2005 - 7/7 London Bombings
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    I'll get the ball roiling

1963 November 22nd - JFK assassination - N/A

1969 July 20th - Moon landing - N/A

1977 August 16th - Elvis died - N/A

1982 - Argentina's invasion of Falkland Islands - N/A

1997 August 31st - Princess Diana's death - I was asleep and my brother woke me up early in the morning to tell me

2001 - 9/11 - I was at school when the attacks happened but 1st heard about them on the bus home

2003 December 14th - Saddam Hussein captured - At home sat next to the Christmas tree watching TV

2005 - 7/7 London Bombings - In my brothers house, I woke up and turned on the TV. The news was reporting an explosion caused my a power surge
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1997 - I was in bed and heard my mum outside my bedroom door telling my brother that it had happened. Her exact words were "the Princess of Wales died last night".

9/11 - I was at home, waiting for term to start. I thought I'd sat on the TV remote when the news flash came up as I'd been watching daytime TV.

2003 - I didn't hear about this until I saw it on the news.

2005 - in the office where I was working. The girl opposite me had been looking at the BBC news site instead of working and told everyone that a bus had exploded in London.

I'm too young for all the others.
    Speedqueens website is offline while I rehome it, but it will be back, and much bigger than before.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1963 - not born

1969 - not born

1977 - don't know I was 4!

Falklands - Only saw it on the news after school.
    Diana - With a bad hangover and my mate ringing to tell me at 10 in the morning

9/11 - Watching live at work after a collegue said what was happening (he was talking on the phone to someone who was working in the area when the first plane hit)

Hussein - On the news

7/7 - On the radio driving into work
    Cleland is a legend. :cool:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

No idea , I was only 2

I had just woken up and my Dad shouted through the door that the Liverpool v Newcastle game was cancelled as Diana had died.

2001 - 9/11

Was off work sick, and was on the internet messing about, when my mum called me downstairs to watch the unfolding news. No sooner had I sat down when the 2nd plane hit.

Can't remember.

Can't remember exactly, but I was off work sick (worrying trend here!) and saw it unfold on the news.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1982 - Fawklands: I was only 1, so memory is a bit fuzzy.

1997 August 31st - Diana: Doing night shift for an extremly anti royal newspaper (if you shared the sentiments, it was THE place to be, if not then probably would have been uncomfortable).

2001 - 9/11: In the high street, huddled around a TV shop with complete strangers whilst on the phone to the other half trying to explain the significance.

2003 December 14th - Saddam Hussein captured: Can't recall.

2005 - 7/7 London Bombings: On a training course in Manchester (I live/work in London) with the other half working for the railway (not a pleasent feeling).

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    '97 - My brother woke me to say "Diana and that Dodi guy are dead". I didn't really car, didn't know either of them and it was like half seven in the morning.

Can't remember about 7/7 or Saddam but I remember 9/11. Came home from college and was really annoyed cos my Mum didn't answer the front door and I had to go round the back. Spent the next 4 hours watching coverage. Got a new coat that day too.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    1963 November 22nd - JFK assassination
    Not born.

1969 July 20th - Moon landing
    Ditto.

1977 August 16th - Elvis died
    Ditto.

Was only three years old.

In a static caravan in Germany, on holiday with my parents. I turned on the local radio station at 7am, only to hear the British national anthem playing, which confused me. Then the announcer said 'Prinzessin Diana ist tot'.

2001 - 9/11
    With my then boss driving around rural Norfolk villages listening to complaints about drainage, parking, etc, even after everybody knew about what had happened.

Not significant enough in my book for me to remember.

Trying to get a bus back to Wimbledon from Springfield Hospital in Tooting.

By the way, I think the Berlin Wall coming down should be added to this list. I remember watching the TV coverage that night, because my parents suggested I should.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1997 August 31st - Princess Diana's death - first heard about this on the radio on a Sunday afternoon. Thought it was a prank at first.
    2001 - 9/11 - ditto, but it was a Wednesday morning.
    2003 December 14th - Saddam Hussein captured - no idea.
    2005 - 7/7 London Bombings - ditto.

Well, that wasn't very interesting...
    Give Leon a kick and tell him to get to work!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oh Gawd it's "show yer age time" again

JFK - In the back of my dad's motor crossing Vauxhall Bridge

Moon Landing - Looking daggers at my mum who'd just hauled me from my cosy pit to see "History in the making" Thanks for that Ma

Elvis - Can't remember. Uh huh. Thang you very much (leaves building)

Falklands - At home nursing a badly burned foot after contriving to pour molten aluminium down my workboot. Owwwww!

Diana. In a small backstreet apartment in Lisbon

9/11 At home with a back strain. I've had a tough life eh folks?

July 7 - At work panicking about the well being of my eldest son and only daughter who work very close to the scenes of 2 of the explosions.

1980 - When Trevor Brooking of blessed memory stooped low to head home the winner against Arsenal in the FA Cup Final - Seventh Heaven.

PS with regard to the London bombings do any of you guys remember when the lovely Andrea put out a frantic APB for BDunnel who went AWOL from the forum for days after the incident?
    Tragically Ben was absolutely unscathed and in an almost staggering act of disregard for our feelings somewhat shamefacedly returned to us about a week later and explained that he'd attended a depraved sado/masochism party on the evening of the outrages and been absent-mindedly left suspended from the ceiling in a small flat in Wandsworth with a tangerine in his gob.
    I must confess that when I heard the news I blubbed shamelessly.
    Oh golly Oh gosh Had a lie on the couch with a nice bit o' posh from Burnham-On-Crouch:mad: