Page 19 of 127 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David St. Hubbins
    Thanks, DrJack, for finally giving us your thoughts on what happens next.

Remember though, and I know you know it, since you posted it, that the JDS case doesn't go to trial until October. Since it hasn't happened yet, no one has been convicted yet. The fact remains that the defendants may be guilty, but it's wise not to sentence them yet.

But you've pretty well convinced me of your pro-irl bias. Not that there's anything wrong with that....
    There will be no convictions. Its a CIVIL class action lawsuit against the Company and 10 others are named. It's strictly about a money settlement. It may be settled before anything happens. It won't affect CC much to the dismay of the IRL fans.
    Champ Car Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In response-

Rumors about CDW?I don't think so,made up by IRL fanatics trying to denigrate the series. Red bull may may be committed to nascar, although I think they are missing their target audience.

I don't think any CC teams will switch to IRL but 1 or more IRL teams may switch to CC.

CC is not for sale.If it were ,why wouldn't TG buy it.

The IRL will announce another street race(maybe) and TF will go into a tailspin. No one else will care. (see Sonoma)

Actually Jack ,if you would refrain from personal attacks and not taint your predictions with obvious bias, they 're not bad, but a little wishful on the IRL side. I don't think there will be a series sponsor without a merge. And the new car is just postering as it is just paper right now. Alot depends on manufacturer involvement and that's sketchy at best. I also think ABC/ESPN will flex some muscle on any contract extensions with the IRL and they will make them pay or get the 500 at a discount.As for IRL, it will be just more of the same.

BUT this is dead on-

Overall, my sense is that the Indy Car Series will continue to struggle for true credibility with drivers and the media if they remain hell bent on creating such obviously contrived racing in an effort to reach the mythical casual fan. To me, this is a key issue. Doesn't anyone pause and ask themselves if this tactic has worked? From the looks of it... no. Using ChampCar's current state as a competitive benchmark is also foolish at best.

I think the whole Split has been about underestimating how much damage would be done by alienating the generations of hard core auto racing fans who love and respect the Indy 500 and what it really stands for. I can’t imagine the NFL, MLB or the NBA taking the same risk. The closest things to this stupidity have been the MLB and NHL Strikes and you can plainly see how those actions helped each of those sports!
    It's the reason why Milwaukee isn't succeeding.The trickle down effecct. A whole generation has not known or been exposed to the greatness of what INDY once was, because the alienated fans of the split have not taught them or taken them to the races or watched it with them on tv.It's played right into nsacar's advantage. There is only one person to blame and that is TG, he owns it and he broke it.

So CC forges on with its own identity and events not depending on just one to make them viable while IRL still tries to recreate the past. It's too late.
    Champ Car Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sanguin
    while IRL still tries to recreate the past. It's too late.
    Why do I get the feeling CC is doing the same?
    "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair." - General George S. Patton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pvtjoker
    Why do I get the feeling CC is doing the same?
    I don't know. I think Champ Car is trying to create something new, and that's exactly what you among others (including sometimes me) tend to criticize.
    The only thing that doesn't lie in racing is the stopwatch. (Derek Daly)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum
    Champ Car is mostly great racing, but it has become the playground of a few hobbyists, and just doesn't make any economic sense. Most of the teams could easily find homes in other racing series and we could move on to the future.
    Just where? The IRL going around in circles pedal to the metal I think not. To F1 same I think not. Road racing series, maybe.
    :dork: 1 of Original 100 Members

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old3Fan
    Just where? Road racing series, maybe.
    PCM came from Grand-Am, some teams like Walker and Coyne have been around a long time and run wherever they can. They both have extensive oval experience. Stoddart will always find somewhere to land. The engineers and crew can easily move on to many other series. There will be some losers (in addition to the fans), but it won't be an apocalypse.
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sanguin,

Do you think there will be some encouraging announcements from CCWS before the next race in Australia?

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetch
    I don't know. I think Champ Car is trying to create something new, and that's exactly what you among others (including sometimes me) tend to criticize.
    Whats new about it? Its like an F1 imitation series at the moment.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally Posted by Quetch

Whats new about it? Its like an F1 imitation series at the moment.
    Actually it is almost true. CCWS at the moment resembles F1 a little:
    - power - 730 bhp - the same as F1
    - tires - hard and soft option - the same in F1
    - standing starts
    - road and street circuits with a trend to spread in Europe, Asia.

Of course there are differences:
    - cars are heavier (with fuel 650kg versus 820kg so-so during the race)
    - turbo engines on methanol and PTP buttons
    - 1hour45minutes basis of racing distance
    - there is only one 'model' racing car for everybody

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And something more - i can see that TG and IRL are in a very good position now. Here is my opinion - it is a matter of time, maybe 2 or 3 years when the IRL may become in the matter of the schedule like old pre-split Indycar (if TG wants it of course). All to be done is to add another 2 road and 2 street races to the current schedule and remove 2 ovals and ... we have it. And if IRL uses a brand new car (maybe even rules) at that moment (after 2 or 3 years) things will be quite different from now. IRL will be more attractive to sponsors, spectators ... and drivers (because it will be less considered as a series where cars go around in circles). It will became like so desired MERGER series we want , BUT WITHOUT A MERGER!