Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118 LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1172
    Liked 233 Times in 115 Posts
    My model painting skills are not great, but for completeness here are couple of images of the painted car

I am about to set off designing the full size version with the target of setting a blisteringly fast time down a rapid Rally Finland (or 1000 Lakes Rally as I prefer to know it) stage
    Last edited by NickRally; 24th March 2019 at 20:23.

2. Likes: pantealex (24th March 2019)
    In the summer break, one more example of my 037 built, this time in classic motorsport colours, and presented to a friend of mine on his birtday. The sand dust weathering (in my dreams) is courtesy of a Moroccan tarmac special stage

4. Likes: the sniper (11th July 2019)
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Any rally model car fans around to continue this chat here.
    My favs are service van & trailer & rally car combos.
    xx models.jpg

Chaps and chapesses, these are trying times for the world and I truly hope you are keeping well and that we are out of the woods sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, staying home and concentrating on the daily chores and home schooling, occasionally there is time to spare for my model making hobby. Anyway, I hope the images below brighten up the day a bit (though it has to be said, we have been having gorgeous weather in the last week here in the UK).

I actually built the first 1/43 scale model in October last year (one of the red ones in the images below) and that went to Miki Biasion (1983 European rally champion with the original 037), who I met at Rally Legend. That was followed by few more models - the grey and dayglo red was given to a colleague at work as a wedding present at the start of the year, while the weathered Martini one, found its way to Carlos Sainz Sr after a chance encounter with him at the end of January. For these models I was lucky to get the last few remaining sets of Kyosho's Dslot 1/43 tyres in the couple of sizes that suit my model.

Couple of 1/64 models that also went to friends - definitely very challenging in terms of painting without errors:

Just before we went into lock down, I got a very small and relatively accessible 3D printer from Anycubic (Photon), using liquid resin process (variation of SLA), which should be ideal for small models as in theory it is very accurate, but haven't had the time to try it out yet. If all is well, I hope to give it a go soon.

All the best and stay well,

Nick

7. Likes: dimviii (27th March 2020),pantealex (28th March 2020),Rally Power (3rd April 2020)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Great stuff Nick; keep up the good work.

Btw, there’s a recent piece about the astonishing hybrid 4wd (!) 037 developed by the late Mr. Volta. It worth taking a look: https://www.diariomotor.com/competic...lly-037-4wd-h/
    Rally addict since 1982

9. Likes: dimviii (4th April 2020),NickRally (21st April 2020),pantealex (4th April 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Great stuff Nick; keep up the good work.

Btw, there’s a recent piece about the astonishing hybrid 4wd (!) 037 developed by the late Mr. Volta. It worth taking a look: https://www.diariomotor.com/competic...lly-037-4wd-h/
    Thanks Mate, much appreciated. I somehow missed your post - I was aware of Volta's project, but hadn't seen the article in the link above, great stuff, it is so sad that Giuseppe Volta is gone, I am sure he would have given us many more reasons to pay attention to his projects.

Also, with the current lockdown in the UK, I was able to devote time to finding the right settings for my SLA desktop 3D printer and after two weeks of exhaustive activities, I am happy to say I've got something that can produce decent results. Few images below showing the "production run" so far, with some of the prints less perfect than others, and the first finished model:

11. Likes: pantealex (22nd April 2020),Rally Power (8th October 2020)
    Hi guys, visiting once again Rally Legend in San Marino over the past weekend, which was moved a week ahead of its schedule to clear the coming weekend for Rally Sardinia, I did a first run for the next size up for our Rally 037 MkII project, this time in 1/6th scale and using a nitro engine, in the rally village. The size of the model and the tools required to run it, necessitated going by car from the UK through France, and as a result I am in my second day of self-isolation now back home 😊. Running a nitro engine is sure way more involved than an electric motor, but the electric motor wouldn’t have been half as cool as the nitro. Having said that, I could taste nitro fumes in my mouth for two days afterwards.
    Moving the rally ahead of its schedule meant I was hard pressed to finish the model on time, in fact I left home without it being fully finished, doing the final touches in the hotel in San Marino on Saturday. As such neither the engine nor the suspension were properly tuned, but good enough for a short demonstration run in the paddock.
    The running gear is from a 1/8th scale buggy (Hobao Hyper VS) – I wanted to only use the transmission from the buggy and design my own suspension, but as the timescales were very tight, I ended up using the standard suspension as well, which I have to say is plenty good enough on mechanical level.
    The chassis (bolted to the standard aluminium buggy chassis), the three piece bodywork and the wheels are 3D printed in SLS nylon by Shapeways (who did a great job delivering the parts ahead of their standard schedule and to an outstanding quality), while the tyres are from Pro-Line. The engine is Trackstar ~4.5cc.
    Next, all being well and once out of self-isolation, I will start working on the proper tuning of the engine and the suspension.
    Below is a short video of the run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jon6hp3US2U

13. Likes: Jarek Z (8th October 2020),pantealex (9th October 2020),Rally Power (8th October 2020)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    You're getting closer to 1:1 . Nice to see the project evolving mate.
    Rally addict since 1982

15. Likes: Jarek Z (8th October 2020),NickRally (8th October 2020)
    Cheers mate, your support is truly appreciated!

17. Likes: Jarek Z (8th October 2020)
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,731 Posts
    Can you show some pictures of your Lancia on your "racing track"?
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

19. Likes: NickRally (9th October 2020)