Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 101 Times in 36 Posts

NZ Rally Championship 2007

Interested to see who, and in what cars, will be lining up for the 2007 NZ Championship.

Richard Mason is currently building a new Impreza. Same as Westie and Sam ones from this year. He's hoping to have it ready to enter some of the Production Car rounds of the Summer Racing Series as well.

Neil Allport Motorsport is building 4 Fiesta ST for newly introduced Fiesta Sporting Trophy which will run in the National Championship events. Not sure who has lined up drives in these.

Anyone got any news on other drivers.... Westie, Emma Gilmour, Sam Murray, Dylan Turner, Brett Martin, Dean Sumner, Mark Tapper, etc.

Hopefully some of the Rally Extreme runners will step up to the national championship in 2007 as well.

2007 Overall Pickems Champion
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    This year I followed on Motors TV most of the rounds of the 2006 NZ rally championship (Rally of Otago became my favourite). Interesting points scoring system, on each leg of the rally, not to mention the technical regulations for the Kiwi 2 category. As a motorsport journalist, I watch and I travel to rallies all over the world, but New Zealand definitely has what it takes for a fabulous national championship, especially the roads. I'd like to live there too for a while, to discover the country on a mountain-bike.

There is a remote possibility for me to attend the 2007 Rally New Zealand. In this case, I'd like to have a Lion Red with you, Kiwi rally fans, there. Till then, please keep me up to date with news from the NZ rally championship.
    "Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus"
    http://rallyeracing.wordpress.com/

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    I also watched the NZ rc on Motors TV. Simply awesome roads!
    .................................................. ..................................................

Liked 131 Times in 60 Posts
    Me too! Great roads, great action!
    I wish I had some cards in my collection from crews from NZ!

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    @Mihai: what is there so special about Kiwi 2 tech regulations?
    .................................................. ..................................................

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    You can use any engine as long as it is sourced from the same manufacturer as the car (although you can't make any modifications to the engine compartment/bodyshell). In an interview I saw on Motor TV, a competitor said he will put an Evo 6 engine on his Mitsubishi (Colt?)-based Kiwi 2 rally car. These cars should have normally aspirated engines but I think he got an approval from the NZ rally governing body or something.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi guys
    as one of the organising team for the Otago Rally its amazing to learn that it has been screened in Romania! In 2007, the Otago Rally will once again be the first round of the NZ Rally Championship and will be held on the weekend of 13-15 April. Planning is well advanced and details for anyone interested will be progressively posted on http://www.otagorally.co.nz

The Kiwi 2 class is for 2WD cars that may be modified as per the regulations approved by Motorsport NZ - see http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Pdf/06%...dule%202WD.pdf
    I'm not aware of an Evo 6 powered car - the rules state that engines shall be naturally aspirated. The class has developed as a low cost way to compete in a 2WD car and has worked well to provide an opportunity for competitors who can't afford to run N4 cars at the top level. In 2007 the NZRC will see the addition of the Fiesta Sporting trophy and we are all waiting to see how that will develop.
    Norm

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Good on ya, mate! Keep on the good work! As long as it'll be broadcasted by Motors TV, I'll be watching this year's NZ rally championship too. We have photo contests on Romanian forums (something like 'Name the car' but you have to name the driver primarily) and images of Mason, Gilmour and West are a common sight. Spotcha later!

Liked 84 Times in 30 Posts
    Don't suppose there are any rallies on in NZ during the last two weeks of February are there?

I know it's before the season proper begins, but I'm touring with the wife and was hoping to see some motorsport (preferably rallying) while I'm there - I'm on South Island the weekend of 17/18 Feb and North Island on 24/25 Feb.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Could I suggest that yoiu change your weekends around. 17/18 is a major race meeting at Manfeild which is in the lower part of the North Island. V8's GT3 Porsche Formula Ford and Toyota Racing Series amongst the classes competing. This is a B I G Meeting

25th is the Southern Festival of speed race meeting around the streets of Dunedin. This is an international classic car race meeting and one not to be missed
    “It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts”