Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I believe the reference was to say that they are 'more like prototypes with a roof than the road cars they are based on'
    Which is pretty much correct, as I believe only very minor parts of trim, if anything, actually come from the production lines..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Holroyd
    I new a bloke that had a street legal Porsche 917 replica in the Gulf Colours, Sadley he passed away. The car is up for sale.

http://www.porschesport.com
    Count Rossi, of Martini fame, went one better in the 70's- Porsche converted a genuine ex-factory team 917 to street-legal spec for him (well, approximately street-legal- apparently he had trouble getting the car registered in Europe, so had it registered in the US and ran it on Alabama plates....)

http://www.qv500.com/porsche917street.php

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Vern Schuppan also used some of the (I believe) RLR-fabricated chassis and converted them into road-legal 962's from his base in Japan, albeit with much-altered bodyshapes..

The Dauer idea was a little further, as Jochen Dauer was doing a similar thing in Germany, but for Le Mans the Porsche factory team got involved and took racing 962's, converted them to road-legal status to get them registered as a GT, then took the same cars and converted them back to, in effect, flat-bottomed 962's to meet the GT1 regs and promptly won Le Mans in 1994
    I think that was the ultimate pisstake but to Porsche for doing it!

There are also other examples of people who have converted 1995/6 era 911GT2's to road-legal spec.

As for the other way, the Rollcentre Racing British GT TVR Cerbera Speed 6 of 2001 started out life as a road car, and the 'CAT' engine in a private Lola a couple of years ago at Le Mans was just nicked out of a VW Touareg after VW refused to sell the engine alone.

And of course, all Le Mans cars were road-legal up to a point in the 50's, and used to be driven to the track and then back home again afterwards in some cases!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LMP road legal

I too would love a road legal version of an LMP. I know Mosler make something similar if you do a google search of mosler. Also Caparo T1 is supposedly the closest road legal vehicle to an F1 car but I think it looks more like an LMP1.
    If you want any of these cars you may have to win the lottery when its a rollover!!!