Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Overtaking may becaome a thing of the future

Justice is blind but doesn't have to be stupid.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Lose the Aero (maybe reduce it by... say 50%)... and go back to slicks.

The teams will each try to get an advantage over one another... which will likely result in a Status Quo !!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I dont like the idea of switchable front wings, outlawing flaps, chimneys, winglets and bargeboards sounds good
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Looks like another huge expense in R&D and then we'll still end up with the faster cars at the front running away from the slower cars behind. F1, is like the rest of life, the more things change, the more they stay the same.
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Well the loss of all those fiddley flaps and things should reduce the dependence on upper dodywork downforce and make the cars less sensitive to turbulance. I'm optomistic that these should at least help, but I'm not holding my breath.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A thing of the future? This should be happening NOW!

I'm tired of watching 70 lap parades.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Back to Basics

I've been proposing this for bloody years.
    Get rid of all those fiddly winglets and funnels, barge boards and diffusers and stipulate a horizontal rear wing with just a specidied depth for the wing profile. The rear wing is really necessary to carry advertisements and, therefore, cannot be eliminated.
    Now if we can get rid of those automatic gearboxes somehow, then we will get a helluva lot of overtaking. You can put a less capable driver in a fast car, but he will lose out on downchanges while braking and cornering and then changing up while accelerating without Trax. Any mistake will allow the slower car with a better driver to get ahead; then the poorer driver in the faster car will get his chance in the straights to catch up.
    If you have a six speed bocx and a driver has to manually change down to just second gear while braking, that will require a helluva lot of finesse not to lose time to a following car. Miss a gear change, and the guy behind gets a faster run out of hte corner and down the straight.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    I've been proposing this for bloody years.
    Get rid of all those fiddly winglets and funnels, barge boards and diffusers and stipulate a horizontal rear wing with just a specidied depth for the wing profile. The rear wing is really necessary to carry advertisements and, therefore, cannot be eliminated.
    Now if we can get rid of those automatic gearboxes somehow, then we will get a helluva lot of overtaking. You can put a less capable driver in a fast car, but he will lose out on downchanges while braking and cornering and then changing up while accelerating without Trax. Any mistake will allow the slower car with a better driver to get ahead; then the poorer driver in the faster car will get his chance in the straights to catch up.
    If you have a six speed bocx and a driver has to manually change down to just second gear while braking, that will require a helluva lot of finesse not to lose time to a following car. Miss a gear change, and the guy behind gets a faster run out of hte corner and down the straight.
    Exactly. Also many circuits built for the purpose of assisting overtaking now (eg Bahrain and China) don't have flow so therefore the difference the driver can make in a lesser car at these circuits is much less than, say, Spa or the original Nurburgring. The driver making the difference is one of the things that people want from F1, and if Bernie and Tilke just build tracks that have lots of hairpins, then they reduce that scope and I think the audience and the drivers lose out.

Instead, what needs to happen is the cars need to be wider so that they have more feel. Which hopefully, when added with much lower downforce and an increase in power, will result in the cars sliding around on track. The fans would like that. As long as they LOOK fast and are spectacular. The problem with the change to the 2.4 L V8s is the fact that the cars are slower and still drive on rails. Which isn't that spectacular. Less speed on the straights + more speed in the corners reduces the overtaking opportunities.

Finally the tyres need to be harder so that theres less marbles. Which is the reason why cars for the most part cant take a different line to pass through corners.
    Hopefully they do consider those points so F1 is improved for all involved.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just The Basic

I can't see anything wrong with what currently happens in todays' F1. The idea of more overtaking in four wheels would be something everyone have dreamed about than routinely watching 70 laps of parade.

Rather than consider it as boredom, the less overtaking is what makes F1 and four wheels sport is in its exclusivity than two wheels, besides it is just something inapplicable to make the same level of overtaking in car racing as bike.
    The smart strategy being applied in every single race, plus every innovation made on the car, and the quality of the driver, are supposed to offset that less overtaking.

If the driver feels that there is another room where it earns some speed to overtake someone, furthermore in the typical of track supporting driver to make overtaking, like wide track, wide hairpin etc. overtaking can be made wherever and whenever the moment is right.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The tires and marbles proportion have been observed to make the best output instead of increasing and decreasing the component of either the tires or its rim of marbles. The more rubber will give more resistance on the ground while the more marble will give more burden than it should.

It only needs the driver to pick up more rubber to make the car rapidly running than change composition of the tires-marbles, just the basic