Page 78 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast
    Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    There’s a large nature park not too far from my home that has lots of trails for hiking, running and biking. A beautiful day there on the weekend.
    The park is quite hilly with the south end overlooking downtown:
    Great photo schmenke!

I did 156km in June which is a massive difference to usual, quite pleased but would like to do better!
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    There’s a large nature park not too far from my home that has lots of trails for hiking, running and biking. A beautiful day there on the weekend.
    The park is quite hilly with the south end overlooking downtown:

Looking east provides a view of some of the hilly terrain, some of it quite steep. Killer on the quads .

On my ride the other day all of the 90 feet of elevation change was at the local park... a much smaller more compact version of your photos. We aren't supposed to ride the hills any longer, but I forgot. Being we have had lots of rain they were mushy, and it was quite the burn on the quads. I tried at one point to go up the trail that had no grass, but it was steep enough to induce wheelspin.

There are a few decent trails in this area, just none I can bike to without a really long ride for a mountain bike. I might start hitting the state park and oceanfront areas some if I keep it up. I just hate to drive somewhere to ride.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Jamie,
    Mountain biking isn't about distance in the same way I guess.

If you want a route try picking up route 14 which will take you from near your place up to Consett then turn onto route 7 back down to Birtley via Beamish.

Some of the paths a bit scetcky for a road bike but easy riding for yours.

There's loads of other off road gravel routes you can do plenty distance on. Just go to google maps and choose the bicycling overlay.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    288km's cycling and 28.25km running for June, although I had a week and a bit off the cycling cos I was feeling ill. I was also developing a sitting knee pain, but having spent time at the chiropractor and investigating various ways of stretching I discovered all I needed to do was lower the saddle by about 1cm.

If the weather permits I'm aiming to top 600km on the bike this month, I've started doing the full commute in one direction every other day, so a 40km one way, 4 times a week

Sent from North Korea using the dark network
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Jamie,
    Mountain biking isn't about distance in the same way I guess.....
    Indeed. In the nature park mentioned above, I'd be surprised if I managed 20kms that day, but man, what a workout!
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Indeed. In the nature park mentioned above, I'd be surprised if I managed 20kms that day, but man, what a workout!
    Which leads to a question. Do any of the workout tracking apps account for downhill and uphill speeds and adjust for calories burned? Or do most simply average miles/time? I know Endomondo has settings for several types of biking, but I don't know what variables are involved. It may well even account for the variables of flatland biking with a mountain bike... I'm clueless.

The only thing that got my quads burning a little today was cutting through some real soggy area. I think it was worse than the hills the other day. Thankfully wet but enough vegetation to not be muddy. I may have to skip a day or two on the bike soon... my gluts are killing me. Not from muscle strain, but from not having been on that seat for any distance in a while!

As for me, a bit over 21.5 miles this morning on the BOMB (Beat Up Mountain Bike). I'm scoping some local rides that might be mroe traffic free, as the major bike routes have far too many full stops at intersections. Some of the transitions are bone rattling for paved trails... may as well be off the road.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter
    Which leads to a question. Do any of the workout tracking apps account for downhill and uphill speeds and adjust for calories burned? Or do most simply average miles/time? I know Endomondo has settings for several types of biking, but I don't know what variables are involved. It may well even account for the variables of flatland biking with a mountain bike... I'm clueless....
    That is a very good question. The mapmyrun app tracks elevation, seemingly fairly accurately:

Although whether it calculates based on GPS signal or simply the terrain data from google maps I don’t know.
    I never use the app for cycling though; only running .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

If I could set a perfect pace I could test it and find out. Chances of that happening are slim.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    55 miles today but felt like further as there was a huge headwind the entire outward leg. Doing 5mph in bottom gear on terrain I would normally be in the big ring doing about 15mph.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicemms
    I don't want to loose weight/ get fit because I am a good weight and in good form I just want to build up my muscles a bit.

Any ideas how?
    Exactly bro. Anyone who has a bulky body doesn't want to lose that..... by no cost !! damn sure.....