Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New Manufacturers in MotoGP??

My apologies if I get anyone too excited here. I was wondering if there has been any word regarding the possibility of any new manufacturers participating in MotoGP in the next year or two?? I remember reading recently (part of the Shiver release presentation) that Aprilia may consider re-entering the fold in the next few years. I would love to see that! I also remember talk of Benelli (Qiangjang) and Zongshen having ambitions of getting involved by 2008 or so some time ago. Hollow threats??

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ilmor

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I believe Aprilia is planning a 2009 World SBK entry with a 999cc V4 so a possible MotoGP return will only happen after that is sorted. I think the chinese talked about entering MotoGP but quietly backed down as soon as they realized whats really involved in developing and running a GP prototype.
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Apart from Aprilia maybe joining in the sometime in the next 5 years, I really don't see any other players trying to join the MotoGP circus unless there are any playboy millionaires willing to waste their money on an Ilmor style venture. Be nice to see the likes of BMW enter but I really don't see it given the type of customer base they cater to.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks guys for your imputs! That's kinda what I was afraid of.

I guess I can be patient for Aprilia to come up with something down the road (soon please), and hope that Ilmor will someday have their engine developed to a point where customers may be interested, or perhaps to where they can race with their own team again. It's a bummer things didn't work out for them (yet?).

I was one of those fans who were totally excited last year when BMW was being rumored as to taking a shot at MotoGP, and disappointed when they decided to put any plans they had on hold. While MotoGP may not cater to their traditional fan base, I think it's possible a racing effort by BMW in MotoGP and even World Superbike would open the floodgates to a new sport-oriented customer base. I would have enjoyed watching them try!

Ultimately, I'd like to see MotoGP with a 25-30 rider grid, and I think one of the ways that may happen would be by having a few more manufacturers involved. It would certainly spice up the variety of teams and machines a little if nothing else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No I don't think there are any real plans for new manufacturers to enter MotoGP in the near future. In fact I think we'll lose one or two before we get any new ones.

The only likely candidates are BMW, Aprilia and KTM. BMW have never been serious about MotoGP and I can't see that changing, especially now they have their own F1 team. Aprilia have been burnt badly by the premier class on a couple of occasions and I don't think they are serious about MotoGP at the moment and like KTM they are interested in WSBK which will keep them busy. Oh and once that is up and running they will both have to begin building replacements for their 125 and 250's. Those projects will keep both of them busy until around 2015.
    Jono Porter 12/05/81 - 09/06/04
    MX's Celeb Crush - Sue Bird :love:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mx311
    No I don't think there are any real plans for new manufacturers to enter MotoGP in the near future. In fact I think we'll lose one or two before we get any new ones.
    What teams are likely to get out of MotoGP? Kawasaki and Suzuki if they don't start winning? Ducati?

I'm under the impression that the Japanese would rather just be at the back and be involved in the high tech world of MotoGP rather than admitting they cant built a high tech bike and drop out.

With the tobacco sponsorship supposedly coming to an end I though Ducati would be in trouble if they lost Marlboro since a big part of their budget comes from them but I don't think that will happen soon and even if it does with their current form I think they will be able to find a replacement.
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Kawasaki have dropped out before and if their big name rider signing still sees them languishing mid-pack, they may well swallow their pride and concentrate on WSB.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mx311
    The only likely candidates are BMW, Aprilia and KTM. BMW have never been serious about MotoGP and I can't see that changing, especially now they have their own F1 team. Aprilia have been burnt badly by the premier class on a couple of occasions and I don't think they are serious about MotoGP at the moment and like KTM they are interested in WSBK which will keep them busy. Oh and once that is up and running they will both have to begin building replacements for their 125 and 250's. Those projects will keep both of them busy until around 2015.
    alright, I think BMW have neither seriousness about Motogp nor commercially producing bike in general. They produced a very segmented bike, their name is identically a brand of car. Entering motogp (again) may take a risk ruining reputability of Aprilia which have blossomed their domination on smaller classes.
    However seeing them to join motogp in the future would be fine though.
    KTM is among those who have biggest chance trying motogp, considering their performance of smaller classes constantly challenge at the front. Just a trying, likewise Aprilia when the result wasn't like what have they expected, they will retire thereafter.
    At worst, I don't hope the failure Ilmor project happens again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think all the above mentioned manufacturers would only embarrass themselves by entering Motogp. If any of them did, they would be Tailend Charlies for 2 or 3 years, using riders that are ready to retire, or up and comers that just won the 'B Grade Yallamini cup for midgets with dislexia', and then claim that they are better off spending their money on R&D for their new, next generation 3 mode grip warmers with built in controls that change the colour of the speedometer/tachometer dials with the aid of their new onboard computer at the press of a button. I think we will see the likes of Hyosung entering Motogp before we would see BMW,Aprilia,MV or KTM IMO.
    Sandra O is YUMMY