Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

London - Sydney 1977 Citroen Cx 2400

Maybe an unusual request for information, but hey. Im looking for photos and any details anyone can tell me about the 1977 Citroen CX used in the London - Sydney Rally with Paddy Hopkirk and two other drivers. Does anyone know what happened to the car?
    A long time ago I know, but Im hoping someone can help.

Many thanks in advance,

Dom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G249XDP
    Maybe an unusual request for information, but hey. Im looking for photos and any details anyone can tell me about the 1977 Citroen CX used in the London - Sydney Rally with Paddy Hopkirk and two other drivers. Does anyone know what happened to the car?

Many thanks in advance,

Dom
    I recommend you to ask this in the "Rally History" thread. I'm sure one of those buffs knows the answer

http://rallybase.motorsportforum.com...112605&page=32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There's a book called Citroen en competition by Dominique Pagneux (french text) which has at least one image and brief text about this car.

Liked 178 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G249XDP View Post

Many thanks in advance,

Dom

Dom
    AFIK, the 4 CX2400 were entered by Citroen Australia (with only under-the-counter help from the factory, then ran by Marlène Cotton, wife of René Cotton who had died unexpectedly). They were 4 of them for Paddy Hopkirk, Claude Laurent, regular Citroen "works" driver in these days, Jean-Paul Luc, an enthusiastic privateer who rallied in the 70's CX's in EU events such as the 1000 Lakes, and ended his carreer driving a Renault 5 turbo in the US pro championship, and Jim Reddiex, well respected aussie driver who made his name in Australia's marathons (Round Australia Trials).
    They were no match for the Mercedes team (nor Zasada's private Porsche who ran atop of the field only to lose buckets of time near the end) and ended in 3rd (Hopkirk), 4th (Laurent), 7th (Luc) and 10th (Reddiex).
    If you need more info, I can dig from french magazines of the day which - chauvinistic as usual - covered the Citroen entry extensively.
    JP

5. Likes: Rally Power (24th August 2020),the sniper (22nd August 2020)
    Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    Well, there's are some positives to thread bumping spam bots! Nice info djip.

7. Likes: pantealex (23rd August 2020)
    Liked 65 Times in 46 Posts
    The Hopkirk car apparently was sold to an Australian farm to round up sheep after the London to Sydney 1977 event. (some text is not right in the link below? - Cowan and co won the 1977 event in the Mercedes)

https://cxrallycar.webs.com/history.htm

9. Likes: the sniper (23rd August 2020)