Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stewart,R.Gordon,J.Johnson coming to IRL...and other dreams

For most IRL supporters, there has been this common talk about Tony Stewart returning to the series, also included have been former competitor Robby Gordon, and Jimmie Johnson following his childhood wishes by competing in the series. What a pipedream! Although if just 2 of the aforementioned Nascar guys fled to indy it would certainly boost the fan base and increase the ratings and awareness. However, Stewart, who use to profess that HE would return, lately has been quite detached from that. furthermore, any mass exodus from nascar would probably be halted by litigation. There are hopes and dreams for openwheelers to make that style THE preferred style in the US, so it seems that these rumors and speculation fill the gap. I don,t think any nascar guys will be going to indy unless it is the week of the 400, just as the ccws/irl merger(another positive, yet highly unlikely scenario) will be tossed about 1,000 times in 2007. It's not that any of those things wouldn't be the coolest ........so would Jessica Alba and Scarlett Johansson sharing MY love.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    File any NASCAR star coming to either open wheel series under "Ain't Gonna Happen".

There are only a handful of (legitimately) paying seats in the two series combined. The best anyone can do is argue that the "cool factor" is higher in single seater formula cars. But if to have to give up a fat salary and merchandising fees, and then pay to drive one, how cool is that?

The most I've heard any of the above named drivers say is that they'd either like to win the Indy 500 (Stewart and R. Gordon), or that they once had dreams of winning the Indy 500 (Jimmie). I haven't heard any of them say the first word about wanting to run in the IRL.

My hope is that some day, a bunch of the younger NASCAR guys (who coulda, shoulda, woulda been in American open wheel) will take some of the spare change in their pockets, buy some old Lolas, Reynards, Eagles and/or Swifts, purchase some club spec engines from Cosworth, and then let the fans into VIR to watch them go at it for an afternoon of goofing around and having fun.

Considering the toys these guys tend to collect, I see that as possible, if not likely. But leaving NASCAR to race in the IRL... uh... would Jessica and Scarlett be wearing schoolgirl uniforms or cheerleader outfits for you? Or would they be wearing tight white t-shirts and you invite them in out of the cold rain?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

school-girl outfits....preferably

Stewart had said ina 2005 speedtv'swindtunnel appearance that after he is "done" in nascar , he would like to return and race the season in an indycar, that would give him the best possibility of winning the 500, I still think he was blowing "smoke" to fans and Dave Despain. Robby said he would not race in the series untill the "Danica - weight" issue was resolved. The notion , as I said earlier is just a far-fetched cry from IRL fans, who long to see the sport return to its former glory.................................OH YEAH , I love the schoolgirl angle, Britney Spears has built an entire career on "One More Time" video. Alba would be mmmmm...........

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonGeorge
    Stewart had said ina 2005 speedtv'swindtunnel appearance that after he is "done" in nascar , he would like to return and race the season in an indycar, that would give him the best possibility of winning the 500, I still think he was blowing "smoke" to fans and Dave Despain. Robby said he would not race in the series untill the "Danica - weight" issue was resolved. The notion , as I said earlier is just a far-fetched cry from IRL fans, who long to see the sport return to its former glory.................................OH YEAH , I love the schoolgirl angle, Britney Spears has built an entire career on "One More Time" video. Alba would be mmmmm...........

When Tony is done with NASCAR, he will be what? 40-42?
    What is Indy?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CCFanatic
    When Tony is done with NASCAR, he will be what? 40-42?
    If you are implying that he will be "over the hill", just remember these drivers

Mario Andretti, Champ at age 44, race winner at age 53
    Emerson FIttipaldi, Champ at 42, race winner at 47
    AJ Foyt, Champ at 44, race winner at 46
    Johnny Rutherford, Champ at 42, race winner at 48
    Al Unser Champ at 46, race winner at 48
    Bobby Unser, Champ at 40, race winner at 47

OW needs drivers to have long careers and be a destination series if it ever hopes to regain it's former stature. Paul Tracy should retire because he's going to be 40? Nah, he needs to race at least 10 more years.
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    snip... furthermore, any mass exodus from nascar would probably be halted by litigation. snip...
    I can't imagine any possible litigation that could stop it, once driver/team/sponsor was pissed off enough to want to leave the golden goose. If there ever was an exodus from nascar it most likely would be started because of litigation. If AT&T loses their suit with Nascar I could easily see them say to RCR "If Nascar doesn't want us, we'll go somewhere that does. Here's $30mil sponsorship find a series (IRL/CC/ALMS/NHRA/etc) to run in and we'll even sponsor the series for another $30mil a year." Threatening to suspend drivers for tech issues could really blow up in Nascar's face, if they take their sponsor $ to another series for a month or so.

Well, many of us long to see the sport return to its former glory. Me, h#ll, I've about given up on anything past upper level club racing at this point, but I still keep a lil flame of hope alive.

Stewart likes that money. Stewart likes that fame. Stewart likes that competition... that NASCAR brings. When they called him to the trailer and tanned his britches a few months ago, he could have jumped ship (planned it anyway) or done what he did: lower his head and say that he was sorry for being a bad lil race car boy.

He can race in NASCAR easily into his late 40's or maybe early 50's... as long as he still has some spark and drive. By the time he's ready to retire, one or the other (or both) of the current O/W series will be gone, IMO.

The schoolgirl thing works, but consider the subtle possibilites of cold rain and tighty-whities.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesi
    Threatening to suspend drivers for tech issues could really blow up in Nascar's face, if they take their sponsor $ to another series for a month or so.
    No, that would teams make respecting the technical rules, like in f1. If a car is illegal it will be disqualifyed. Two years ago Honda was banned for two races because of an illegal car. When they know they get penalized, they try don't breaking the rules... F1 has not problems with it like NASCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesi
    I can't imagine any possible litigation that could stop it, once driver/team/sponsor was pissed off enough to want to leave the golden goose. If there ever was an exodus from nascar it most likely would be started because of litigation. If AT&T loses their suit with Nascar I could easily see them say to RCR "If Nascar doesn't want us, we'll go somewhere that does. Here's $30mil sponsorship find a series (IRL/CC/ALMS/NHRA/etc) to run in and we'll even sponsor the series for another $30mil a year." Threatening to suspend drivers for tech issues could really blow up in Nascar's face, if they take their sponsor $ to another series for a month or so.
    With all due respect, Jonesi, why would AT&T (or anybody else) offer the same level of sponsorship to go to series that have perhaps a 1/10th the sponsor value of NASCAR Nextel Cup? For $60 million, they could enter at least one car in each of those series you mentioned and act as title sponsor for both the IRL and CCWS.

And the combined sponsor values probably still wouldn't equal what they get in NASCAR. Sad, isn't it?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Incredible how some people forget the past. Rewind to as recent as 1992, what is more popular, IRL or NASCAR? That was not long ago at all. It is only a matter of time before the tide turns and the nations number 1 racing series will change again.

The way things are going lately this could happen sooner than you may think. NASCAR is making some bad choices that is really getting "real" NASCAR fans upset. Now with the recent talk that they are seriously discussing moving the Daytona 500 to November, trust me, thats going to start some fires.

Why does Roger Penske and Chip attend every IRL race? Why is nearly every innovation (safety or technical) started in the Indy Car series?

IRL crowds are growing again, and even though they have a long way to go, and some of the choices being made by the IRL are not too great either, the tide will turn again.