Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmr2
    Nice win but he still cant get the job done on an oval
    Correction, he already got the job done on THE oval, and won the Indianapolis 500. Nothing he does for the rest of his career can raise the bar any higher than that.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trumperZ06
    Been waiting for you to chime in RA...

Y'all must have had some PARTY...

after Juan Pablo's win yesterday !!!
    I've been having a ball.
    Just reading on all the forums I can get into and it's amazing how many people are so polarized with Juan. Many of course are enjoying the ride and many others just can't stand that he is doing well at all - and of course it's hallariouse to see the excuses they come up with because he ended in front of their fave drivers.

any way . . . back to the topic.

that was a jewel of a ride Juan had yesterday.

race
    mokin:
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    It was a great run by Juan and I think he outdid my expecations for him. Contrary to what people think, winning a road course race in the Cup series by someone with road racing experience has not really been done by a "ringer" since Dan Gurney at Riverside. The Cup drivers ARE good road racers. Tony Stewart had the flu at the Glen a few years back, was like death warmed over and sick in his suit, yet he held off Ron Fellows in a pure duel of speed for over 20 laps. Ron is no slouch in any race car has been in, and is one of the smoothest road race drivers out there, with a lot of experience in heavy tintops. Yet Tony handled him. The top 10 Cup drivers are every bit as proficient at this type of racing as any ringer for the most part. So Lets not be silly here and say JPM is head and shoulders above. He is however their equal and maybe a smidge better, and he had a crew chief get him in and out at the right time to take advantage of the situation. He took advantage of what was given him, and he drove smoothly and well to win. That said, he just as easy could have lost. There is more to this than just driving your balls off, for many great road racers have come in and showed great speed and skill, and never beat a Cup regular in over 30 years. JPM just showed what we all knew, that he is as good if not a hair better at this turning right stuff then anyone who was there yesterday. Now, back to the ovals, and Ganassi has to get a good car under him. They have not been on the program so far on a consistent basis and if JPM was on a top team, maybe he would be looking at the Chase right now. I don't think he will on an oval this year, but if he keeps his head, he will get top 10's and do well. He just has to realize that NASCAR is more about preserving your equipment when the setup is off, and getting the car in the sweetspot on long runs. IF he realizes this skill of car management, then we will see him in Victory Lane at some place besides Infineon and the Glen. We shoudn't be surprised he did well here, but a win is always an accomplishment and he did the little things right. He has that immense skill that got him to f1. Now he has to harness a different skill, for NASCAR is all about survival.....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tstran17_88
    Really? That's why Gordon, Johnson, Stewart & Hamlin are unbeatable too!

pretty much on a road course yest until Juan arrived..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ACTF_ZETT
    Correction, he already got the job done on THE oval, and won the Indianapolis 500. Nothing he does for the rest of his career can raise the bar any higher than that.
    I take youre point i should have been more specific but i was talking in context of nascar not open wheel racing.
    I would have thought his monaco grand prix win is far more prestigous than the indy 500.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Mark, good post and I agree. I do think the last non-regular "ringer" to win on a road course was Mark Donohue back in 1973 in Roger Penske's Matador. Gurney's last win was almost 40 years ago in 1968
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmr2
    I take youre point i should have been more specific but i was talking in context of nascar not open wheel racing.
    I would have thought his monaco grand prix win is far more prestigous than the indy 500.
    It is. As is the Nextel Cup Championship and the Daytona 500.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luvracin
    Luck is as important as skill in motorsport. Every successful driver will agree. It takes nothing away from the success.

oh. and well done JPM.
    The best definition I've ever seen for "luck" is: when preperation meets opportunity.

Yesterday, a lifetime of preperation met an opportunity.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Lee Roy, you have it right on this one, preparation and skill met opportunity.

Whatever one thinks of JPM, they know he will be a factor on the two road courses. As time goes on, I think the ovals will be more to his liking....and then the fun really begins..
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlenis
    pretty much on a road course yest until Juan arrived..
    Oh, so we were only talking specifically about road courses? My apologies.
    I'm choosing Joey Logano as my avatar. I feel he is a worthy ally.