Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nigel Mansell ... Indy 500 or CART Championship?

Just curious.... and this is probably pure opinion from everyone who responds... but did Formula 1 World Champion Nigel Mansell come to North American Open-wheel racing to win Indianapolis or to win the CART Championship ???

I have been trying to find articles on Nigel Mansell's mindset when he came here.
    Also... did other F1 drivers come here for Indy or the CART (series) Championship ?? Fittipaldi, Piquet, etc.....

note to Nigel Mansell..... sorry about Dennis Vitolo.
    HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, i think he came to Indycar to win the title and for the fun also (aside the money). When i watched the interview with him immediately after the 1993 Indy500 he said that race had been one of his best races (he finished 3-rd).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't think he came for either. He came because of a contract dispute with Williams following the '92 F1 season. He has said in sevearl interviews that coming to the US was not his first choice.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    The CART championship.
    Starter.....is this your opinion or have you heard or read that he specifically stated this as his reason for running IndyCars ?
    HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would like to think first and foremost he wanted to win the title, but also the '500 since he would've been one of only 3 Brits and the first Brit since '66 to win it. If he only had wanted to run the '500 then he wouldn't have bothered battling the IndyCar veterans the entire year. He also wanted to defend his championship in '94 and not just try to win Indy.
    Fittipaldi probably wanted both. He was practically dropped from the F1 scene, everybody said he was too old and had lost it without really taking into account that he wasted his final F1 years with his cousin's inept team. He wanted to show that he had still alot to give to racing, and he was right.

Piquet only wanted to win Indy, he was probably just too lazy to drive the entire season. Too bad, really. This guy was just absolutely fantastic in terms of making it thru the race somehow another. And his practice times at Indy were quite competative. But as I said, he was probably just too lazy. Kudos though for giving Indy a second shot after his terrible accident.

Cheever and Johansson IMO only came to America because they couldn't get a decent ride in Europe anymore. Same probably goes for Moreno, C. Fittipaldi, Yong, Danner etc.

BTW, as far as I've heard Villeneuve never cared much for the IndyCar championship. He only wanted to win Indy in America.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdalbey
    I don't think he came for either. He came because of a contract dispute with Williams following the '92 F1 season. He has said in sevearl interviews that coming to the US was not his first choice.
    Maybe he said that AFTER his disappointing '94 season. As far as I know, Williams wanted to keep Mansell, and Prost had no objections against Mansell as a team mate. Mansell made big a__ statements (like he often did) that he'd like nothing more than taking it to Prost on equal material, but he never got around actually doing it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Komahawk
    BTW, as far as I've heard Villeneuve never cared much for the IndyCar championship. He only wanted to win Indy in America.
    That's not true! First he wanted to become formula one world champion. There is no doubt that he would have left IndyCar Racing even without wnning neither the 500 nor the championship, if someone would have offered him an f1 cockpit before...

After his 1995 Indy500 win he told the journalists about his thoughts when he recognized he was two laps down because of the penalty. He thoght, that this would be bet but that he has to continue because he wanted to collect some points for the championship. Before the indy500 was finished he had already the championship in his mind...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagocrewIRL
    I have been trying to find articles on Nigel Mansell's mindset when he came here.
    In his book he says he'd had several interesting offers from CART teams over the years and even visited the Penske HQ in '91. He says there were no other F1 drives available he was interested in, and "making the move was clear to me". They had already bought the Clearwater, Florida home before the squabble with Williams, so a move wasn't neccessary, and doing CART allowed him more time with his family than F1 had. The N-H deal was tentively in place before the end came with Williams. He called Haas the night before his press conference when it was clear things would not be worked out. They signed the contract a week later. Mansell, as always, did his own negotiations.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagocrewIRL
    Also... did other F1 drivers come here for Indy or the CART (series) Championship ?? Fittipaldi, Piquet
    I would only assume Andretti did it for both
    I Would Rather Be A Savage Little Elephant, Than Be A Big Bald Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    That's not true! First he wanted to become formula one world champion. There is no doubt that he would have left IndyCar Racing even without wnning neither the 500 nor the championship, if someone would have offered him an f1 cockpit before...

After his 1995 Indy500 win he told the journalists about his thoughts when he recognized he was two laps down because of the penalty. He thoght, that this would be bet but that he has to continue because he wanted to collect some points for the championship. Before the indy500 was finished he had already the championship in his mind...
    When being asked about which of his accomplishments he rated highest he replied "Winning the F1 world championship and the Indy 500."