Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Difference in track layout: Champ Car and IndyCar at Mid-Ohio

I was surprised that an IndyCar got to within half a second of Paul Tracy's 2003 Champ Car pole time at Mid-Ohio.

Is the IRL using the same layout as Champ Car at Mid-Ohio? Also, it's my understanding that the backstraight "kink" was slightly straightened and repaved (this is what supposedly caused Joey Hand's end-over-end crash). If so, would this significantly affect overall laptimes?

Can't wait for July 22. Mid-Ohio is the only racetrack I've ever walked on (a 45-minute leisure stroll over one lap) so I've always had a certain affinity for that track.
    \"If you have a problem with what I\'m doing, talk to me, get it all out, then shut up.\" - Juan Pablo Montoya
    \"I tell ya, if my name was \'Juan Pablo Montoya,\' everyone would just kiss my ass!\" - David Letterman
    \"That was a mugging.\" - Tommy Kendall \"You can\'t spell \'fiasco\' without the FIA.\" Those are shark gills, not shark fins! Get it right!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The track has been re-surfaced which has also affected grip levels. But reading the post-test comments from drivers who had driven there before most seemed to think it is more slippery, although Dixon felt grip levels had improved.

I'm no expert but I guess aero levels would also make a difference. If you have a track with a lot of high speed corners a less powerful car with more downforce will close the gap. But put them on a track that requires more acceleration from low speed then I guess more powerful, torquier cars are going to do better.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My understanding is that they are using the traditional CART layout.

Dario's best time: 1:07.667

PT's old record: 1:07.058

Time turned in by a CC rookie in a solo test: 1:06.28

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've also read several times that the IRL cars in roadcourse set up aren't the total pigs we'd like to believe. They have a ton of wing, and they also went back to the 3.5 litre engine with the switch to ethanol.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Would love to see an IndyCar at Laguna Seca. Do current IndyCars have underbody tunnels?

I also remember reading about a joint Firestone test that had Panther Racing and Hornish in an IRL car and Mo Nunn Racing and Kanaan in a Champ Car. It was at one of the miles, either Milwaukee or Nazareth. IRL was quicker in the turns and Champ Car was quicker in the straights. Lap times were near equal such that the IRL car couldn't pass the Champ Car and the Champ Car couldn't pass the IRL car.

I also remember a pic from a Homestead test that had Lazier in a Hemelgarn Dallara-Olds and Fernandez in a Reynard-Honda.
    \"If you have a problem with what I\'m doing, talk to me, get it all out, then shut up.\" - Juan Pablo Montoya
    \"I tell ya, if my name was \'Juan Pablo Montoya,\' everyone would just kiss my ass!\" - David Letterman
    \"That was a mugging.\" - Tommy Kendall \"You can\'t spell \'fiasco\' without the FIA.\" Those are shark gills, not shark fins! Get it right!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic
    I also remember a pic from a Homestead test that had Lazier in a Hemelgarn Dallara-Olds and Fernandez in a Reynard-Honda.
    any chance to find that pic?
    Sir! While I disagree with what you are saying, I will fight to the death your right to spell the words incorerctly and use heinous.. grammar yo !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't know about the layout specifics but I do know many of the guys who worked on the resurfacing project. Kokosing Construction did a great job of repaving the track , adding new curbs, and fencing. Kokosing was contracted because they are the best. I have inspected their jobs and I am always impressed. I can't say that of all asphalt contractors in the Central Ohio area I have worked with. Thank goodness MidOhio picked them.

David

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    I've also read several times that the IRL cars in roadcourse set up aren't the total pigs we'd like to believe. They have a ton of wing, and they also went back to the 3.5 litre engine with the switch to ethanol.
    Dallara have plenty of history building road racing chassis but I understand the main drawback their IRL car has is its pull-rod front suspension. They used the system to reduce its frontal profile as much as possible and while it works well it takes a lot more to make tweaks and adjustments than conventional push-rod suspension.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first saw them race at St Pete a couple of years ago. They carried a lot more cornering speed than I expected - clearly there's plenty of downforce.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I remember reading something about the pullrod front suspension being part of the reason why Ganassi used the Panoz for the road courses since the Panoz had pushrod fronts.