Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Surprising fact learnt today

In another one of my interesting linguistics lectures (no more 'eats shoots and leaves' for now : ) I found that women don't actually talk as much as men! From a corpus of language, it is found that (from the British National Corpus):

Females speak a total of 3,267,444 words
    Males speak a total of 4,920,742 words

I find it hard to believe, women always seem to have the most pointless conversations

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Have you ever had a conversation with a women. It's always the man that asks the questions to start a conversation, then men have to put so much effort into keeping the conversation going.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    I remember a similar study a few years ago, which concluded that women nag their partners more in the evenings because they use up fewer words over the course of the day. This makes being gay an even more preferable option.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I remember a similar study a few years ago, which concluded that women nag their partners more in the evenings because they use up fewer words over the course of the day. This makes being gay an even more preferable option.

Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Wasn't there a study published this past month claiming that women talked 3 times as much as men?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I do not beleive that information at all, everyone knows women talk a hell of a lot more than men. Whether it be pointless, interesting or otherwise, women talk more.
    Im back! Now what'd I miss?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edv
    Wasn't there a study published this past month claiming that women talked 3 times as much as men?
    Yeah, I saw that too. I imagine there is a difference between the number of words that a preson says, and the number of words a person has in their vocabulary.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySpeed
    From a corpus of language, it is found that (from the British National Corpus):

Females speak a total of 3,267,444 words
    Males speak a total of 4,920,742 words
    What does this mean? What's "a corpus of language"?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool

Surely it depends on a lot of factors - a person who lives alone probably talks less than someone who lives with their partner and children. A person who doesn't own a telephone may speak less, for example.

Who goes round counting words anyway?

(I'm sure that the Corpus study is to do with the size of a person's vocabulary rather than the amount they speak anyway, although I have no idea how you measure that objectively either.)
    Speedqueens website is offline while I rehome it, but it will be back, and much bigger than before.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viper_man
    ...everyone knows women talk a hell of a lot more than men. Whether it be pointless, interesting or otherwise, women talk more.
    Mrs. Schmenke is living proof...
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti