2024 - Race 9 Canada

• 7 Jun Practice 1 - 13:30 - 14:30
    • 7 Jun Practice 2 - 17:00 - 18:00
    • 8 Jun Practice 3 - 12:30 - 13:30
    • 8 Jun Qualifying - 16:00 - 17:00
    • 9 Jun Race - 14:00
    FanAmp and r/GrandPrixTravel - Two Wonderful Places for F1 Fans

Liked 703 Times in 491 Posts
    A resurfaced track, along with some changes to a couple of the run off areas. As usual, a chance for changing weather, which can also bring the race alive.

With several cars now fighting with what seems like distinct advantages and weaknesses, this is one track with enough various features to possibly negate any real strengths and give us a good impression of the overall car and how it deals with such a track. Really hard to decide what team might have an advantage in Canada.

Liked 190 Times in 154 Posts
    If somebody other than Max can win this one, then maybe we have title fight on our hands.

4. Likes: airshifter (7th June 2024)
    The weather already playing games with the sessions. A big thunderstorm with hail came though, and P1 started late.

Without much running on a drying track, it's hard to tell what cars if any will be really hooked up.... wet or dry.

Fantastic qual session, probably the best in a while.

Merc come out on top, with George putting in a lap that Max couldn't beat.... 0.000 seconds in it!

With the rain looming, the cars and drivers had to stay on it even through Q2. The track improvements were massive, and nobody could afford to sit in the pits after a good banker. It looked like Q3 would be wet, so all drivers pushed hard in Q2, and then the rain never came.

RB and Ferrari both having issues as teams, Perez out early and both Ferrari's out in Q2. Amazing to see both AMR cars, both VCARB cars (with Danny Ric beating Yuki!) Albon manages to reach top 10 once again.

It should be a great race. With both Lando and Oscar near the front, the race pace can be pushed and strategy can be used against Max and George, who probably have no help with the front spots. BUT we still have the possibility that some cars set up for rain which may or may not come. If it does come the race could well be wide open amongst the top 8 or 10 cars.

7. Likes: Bagwan (10th June 2024)
    Liked 796 Times in 658 Posts
    This race seems set to tell us several things. Firstly, Redbull may be in a bit of bother with their new chassis which may have inherited the Mercedes no sidepod curse. Secondly, the Championship may well be thrown wide open on at least the constructors-championship front. Thirdly, it is looking possibly the hardest driver's title that Verstapenn would earn, assuming this Redbull setback turns out to be a deeper problem.

Finally, Canada GP proves Mercedes has been messing with Hamilton's car setup. On a Hamilton track that he has won six times, it is very hard to believe he would not finish Q3 within at least 0ne tenths behind George if he was having a bad day. What ticks me off about it is the plain shameless lying about it. We can all see it. It also adds credence to the suspicions of the 2016 season. We all expected he would not be given the best parts or the privileged information since he is leaving the team. I fully expected his season to be what we are seeing at the moment. But lying about it is sapping credibility from Mercedes team and its management.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
    I am sure all the F1 fans who were complaining after a really boring race at Monaco would now be very happy after watching this action-packed race.
    FanAmp and r/GrandPrixTravel - Two Wonderful Places for F1 Fans

10. Likes: Bagwan (10th June 2024),Fortitude (10th June 2024)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I am sure all the F1 fans who were complaining after a really boring race at Monaco would now be very happy after watching this action-packed race.
    If this race didn't appeal to them they should just quit watching the sport. From start to finish something was going on, and often at the front of the field.

12. Likes: Bagwan (10th June 2024),Fortitude (10th June 2024)
    Liked 796 Times in 658 Posts
    The sharp end of the grid seems to have bunched up with a tenth of a second now translating to a few places drop. Now Mercedes has joined the foray of the fight for podium positions, it has become more tricky for Mclaren and Ferrari.

Verstappen showed true star quality to snatch the win from Norris, though the safety car helped a lot. With the sort of conditions that Montreal threw up, it was the ideal situation for Mercedes to steal a rare race win. In a way, Canada raised a question on Russell. Can Mercedes rely on him to deliver Hamilton-like results? Hamilton in good form and having a compliant car in pole position, and on one of his favorite tracks, would have certainly pulled out a win in these Montreal conditions.

I suspect Mercedes probably does not fully realize what a gap Hamilton would leave behind when he leaves. While it could be a great opportunity for Russell, it could also be a career-damaging situation as the pressure would mount for him to deliver and fill that gap over the next two seasons.

Based on the outcome of Canada, it is not hard to see that Mercedes probably see a future of Verstappen and Antonelli as their future lineup. But Russell does have time to change their mind, but he would be under scrutiny at every race from Barcelona onwards from the F1 world in general. He has to answer the silent question of does he deserves the highly sought-after seat at Mercedes. If he stops antagonizing his more experienced teammate and focuses on self-improvement, l see no reason why he would not continue to be in that seat well into 2026.

I fully expected a major resurgence from Aston-Martin at Montreal but did not materialize. They were in the points but not in the thick of the battle at the sharp end. With Mercedes stepping up, the grid now seems to be clearly divided into two categories; the group fighting for wins and podium positions of which Mercedes is at the bottom of, and what we can call the mid-fields of which Aston-Martin is the top of.

The double DNF of Ferrari has taken a shine off the championship battle. Even with Perez having a run of bad form, Ferrari has given up loads of points to Redbull. The next few tracks would suit the Redbull car, hence that gap would grow considerably l suspect. the question is how punishing would the Mercedes recovery have on Ferrari?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th June 2024 at 12:10.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 190 Times in 154 Posts
    I was on vacation at the beach, but I made sure I was back for the mid-afternoon break, and the race did not disappoint. It was a fun race all around.

15. Likes: Bagwan (15th June 2024)