Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    Hell, even their beloved NASCAR is the most boring motorsport I can think of and the opposite of what I would imagine when hearing "extreme" and "epic".
    Depends what you're looking for. For people thirsty for wheel-to-wheel action and seeing as much event as possible when attending live, rally would be one of most boring motorsports to follow.

2. Likes: NoFear85 (30th March 2024)
    Liked 53 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    Was the WRC Olympus Rally in the 80's extreme and epic? Is any of their national event even on par with random European national rallies? Hell, even their beloved NASCAR is the most boring motorsport I can think of and the opposite of what I would imagine when hearing "extreme" and "epic".
    You can't compare how a WRC rally was organized and arranged in the 80s and today. Look at Australia with the "jumps arena" in Bannister North, or the "purposely-built" Monte Lerno. In the USA they'll do a great job on this side, other than being super entertaining all around (service, fan areas, etc).

At NASCAR events you can play all day and never get bored, they worked hard on making interesting also on TV in recent years, with real-time distance, animations, etc.

It's gonna be held hopefully in 2026 and by then they'll be able to put up an epic spectacle.

I'd pay good money for a superspecial in Atlanta Mercedes stadium...

Liked 265 Times in 164 Posts
    Guys what about that idea. It's only thought, so no need to kill me instantly. What about if there were linked ralies. I mean, two on same continents or at least logisticaly most close. Way shorter, close on dates, maybe two week separation. Paraguay+Argentina, USA+Mexico, Finland+Sweden, New Zealand+Japan, Kenya+Saudi Arabia, Croatia+Italy and so on... That way they could include one or two more on calendar since there is so much interest of joining but not enough places.

Liked 92 Times in 55 Posts
    In theory ok, but if the events are really close in time and location -> surely they will eat from each other a bit?

Atleast that is what few Estonians said in 22 Secto Rally. That they think rally Estonia suffers from being so close to Finland. People will choose either.

Liked 265 Times in 164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by masa90 View Post
    In theory ok, but if the events are really close in time and location -> surely they will eat from each other a bit?

Atleast that is what few Estonians said in 22 Secto Rally. That they think rally Estonia suffers from being so close to Finland. People will choose either.
    If rally Estonia would be completely different characterics of Finland, they would have plenty of visit. Why then Sweden and Finland don't clash being so close to each other? Or Spain (when there was on calendar) with Portugal, Italy with Croatia. They simply don't bring something different to the viewers. Finland will never be replaced, it's the mecca for rallying.

Liked 92 Times in 55 Posts
    Yeah but Sweden is in February and Finland in august.

Quote Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
    Guys what about that idea. It's only thought, so no need to kill me instantly. What about if there were linked ralies. I mean, two on same continents or at least logisticaly most close. Way shorter, close on dates, maybe two week separation. Paraguay+Argentina, USA+Mexico, Finland+Sweden, New Zealand+Japan, Kenya+Saudi Arabia, Croatia+Italy and so on... That way they could include one or two more on calendar since there is so much interest of joining but not enough places.
    Similar approach exists to some extent, Poland-Latvia-Finland this year, Sardegna-Cyprus-Greece-Turkey in 2000s. It's good for teams logistics, but for hosts having another WRC rally two weeks earlier or later hurts their attendance and profitability. I guess for Finns, Estonians, Latvians and Poles it can be okayish due to solid rally fanbases there but in other places in the world it could be too costly for organizers to accept.

Anyway, I doubt there is any interests to grow calendar to more than 14 spots. Maybe if there will be some unexpected popularity boom, then we will see it but for now, even 14 rounds calendar can't materialize despite some attempts in last decade.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    14 rounds is asking for trouble. The sport can't sustain it; with only 2.5 Manufacturer teams in the top class even 12 is the absolute limit. The WEC doesn't have that many rounds, and they've got plenty of manufacturer teams.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 660 Times in 319 Posts
    Teams are in WEC for Le Mans, not for WEC.

That’s why WEC can’t sustain more rounds. Few people care about the other rounds.

Maybe Spa…..

11. Likes: Morte66 (1st April 2024)
    WEC has different characteristics, they want lower classes teams to be present on all rounds while WRC is fine with WRC2 drivers usually take part in only 7 rounds.

WRC survived even seasons like 2009-2011 and 2021 with 12-13 rounds so 14 doesn't seem unsustainable. It also depends how many rounds will be European, travelling outside Europe increase costs.