Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts

2024 - New Point Scoring System

This issue deserve it own thread!

Can anyone explain the thinking behind the system, and why it ended up as is?
    If you already now have proposals for adjustments, if you agree with the purpose, but not the current version?

Or shall FIA just bury it already now, and go back to how it was?

Liked 488 Times in 188 Posts
    I think this has been suggested here before that I really like Power Sunday idea. It would be like the year before but instead of pushing just on the last stage, we would have multiple stages, where the drivers who want, can drive for points.

So the overall would be 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 and for Power Sunday, it would be 7-5-3-2-1 (or make it 6 instead of 7, if we don't want that 2nd can get the same amount as the winner). So the maximum that the second place can get is 18+7=25.

3. Likes: focus206 (19th February 2024),Lead (20th February 2024),WRC1 (19th February 2024),ZoomanSP206 (20th February 2024)
    Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_right View Post
    I think this has been suggested here before that I really like Power Sunday idea. It would be like the year before but instead of pushing just on the last stage, we would have multiple stages, where the drivers who want, can drive for points.

So the overall would be 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 and for Power Sunday, it would be 7-5-3-2-1 (or make it 6 instead of 7, if we don't want that 2nd can get the same amount as the winner). So the maximum that the second place can get is 18+7=25.
    powerstage will stay. i'd go with this general idea with the power stage taken into account...

Liked 238 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_right View Post

That wouldn't really solve much, as it would make sense to push on Sunday only for drivers who retired before. That wouldn't fix cruising caused by 1 minute or so gaps.

Imo the best system would be to get rid of PowerStage and instead distribute the points for overall standings. Make it 5-3-1 for example. But yeah that won't happen, but imo it would be a solution.

Or to get it more simple: Just give the overall winner 5 extra points. But that would make too much difference between P1 and P2 if someone had perfect rally like Neuville on Monte.

Or 3rd solution, give less points on Sunday. Make it 5-4-3-2-1 and 3-2-1 for PS.

6. Likes: WRC1 (19th February 2024)
    Liked 1,621 Times in 737 Posts
    I think this extra stimulation for Sunday is good, but just points for Sunday are out-of-scale and too valuable. So pretty much +1 for what flat_right wrote.

8. Likes: WRC1 (19th February 2024)
    Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    So apparently they saw Sunday cruising as an issue so they came up with this system.

flat_right's suggestion would be pretty good and here's couple of others i have seen that I liked:

A. Keep the Power Stage as is but make the Sunday stages before it count as qualifying for choosing PS start order. The fastest driver on sunday stages chooses his road position first and so on, make it a show for rally tv. It offers some incentive to drive faster on Sunday and creates some build up before the PS but doesn't fundamentally change the rally. Of course not all drivers would push but if you want PS points you can't go slow.

B. If you want to go full show then the rally ends Saturday, there is a podium, winner gets 25 points in the bank. Then Super Sunday is like a sprint of about 50 km with times and standings starting from 0 and no connection to the main rally with 6-5-4-3-2-1 points.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Cruising is a part of motorsport, most series will have it at the end of races where there are big time gaps......That's just how it is...accept it. No other series has decided to change their points system to stop it.......(though most other series have decent entries).

It's another sign that those running the WRC really don't know what they're doing.......

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

11. Likes: focus206 (19th February 2024),HKSjbg (19th February 2024),Jarek Z (19th February 2024),PLuto (19th February 2024),seb_sh (19th February 2024),steve.mandzij (19th February 2024),WRC1 (19th February 2024)
    Liked 3,297 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    Cruising is a part of motorsport, most series will have it at the end of races where there are big time gaps......That's just how it is...accept it. No other series has decided to change their points system to stop it.......(though most other series have decent entries).

It's another sign that those running the WRC really don't know what they're doing.......
    Exactly! And what's more - cruising is a part of most other sports, not just motorsport. If a football team leads the match 5-0 after 70 minutes, do you think they play as intensively as at the beginning of the game? Usually they just control the game, manage the good result and enter some young players. Or if a 5000m runner leads by 30 seconds on the last lap, do you think he is giving his all throughout the whole distance? The same with basketball, swimming, marathon, etc. It has always been like that. Why is it suddenly a problem?
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

13. Likes: becher (19th February 2024),HKSjbg (19th February 2024),PLuto (19th February 2024),seb_sh (19th February 2024)
    Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post

WRC decided to change their points system. They know exactly what they're doing. That's just how it is, accept it.

Or what are you going to do about it?
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi

15. Likes: ELPE (19th February 2024)
    Liked 403 Times in 251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    WRC decided to change their points system. They know exactly what they're doing. That's just how it is, accept it.

Or what are you going to do about it?
    And what are you doing about it Stan? I'm autistic and even I could see the point Andy is making It seems like you will accept whatever rule changes WRC will make because 'they know what they are doing'. The counter argument to that is why should a controlled cruise to the end be a 'wrong' way to win? It happens all the time and we can appreciate that it was still not easy and admirable that the driver is able to achieve that. Like how Colin McRae won the 1999 Safari Rally without taking a single stage win - it is far beyond the ability of any of us here to achieve that and necessary to bring the result home.