Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HKSjbg View Post
    To me there is no justification for a sport to say 'but that approach will earn you fewer points, that way of winning rallies/races is now frowned upon so get a wriggle on.'
    Fan interest is justification for that, check last few pages from last year Rally Japan thread on this forum and you should understand why people who invest their money into WRC want to avoid borefests like that.

The more boring and uneventful WRC rallies we will have, the smaller chance to grow, get new fans, sponsors, manufacturers etc. Not many would care about old motorsport adages, they would just go to watch something else.

Trying to make it more interesting is good thing but those attempts still needs to be balanced and take into consideration competitive spirit of rally to some extent. I doubt people will care that much if Lappi get only 1 point more than Evans in Sweden but rally winner still needs to get more than anyone else. Otherwise any excitement gained from more interesting second half of rally is lost among criticisms of too unfair point structure.

Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Backa View Post
    Fan interest is justification for that, check last few pages from last year Rally Japan thread on this forum and you should understand why people who invest their money into WRC want to avoid borefests like that.

The more boring and uneventful WRC rallies we will have, the smaller chance to grow, get new fans, sponsors, manufacturers etc. Not many would care about old motorsport adages, they would just go to watch something else.

Trying to make it more interesting is good thing but those attempts still needs to be balanced and take into consideration competitive spirit of rally to some extent. I doubt people will care that much if Lappi get only 1 point more than Evans in Sweden but rally winner still needs to get more than anyone else. Otherwise any excitement gained from more interesting second half of rally is lost among criticisms of too unfair point structure.
    The problem with what happened in Japan does not lie with the points but with the pitiful state the series is in. This points system is like putting a band-aid on cancer.

3. Likes: AndyRAC (20th February 2024),becher (19th February 2024),Jarek Z (19th February 2024),Lead (20th February 2024)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Simple fix. There need to be overall points awarded for total time after Sunday. Ditch Saturday points and move them to the end.

An adjustment could be to increase these back to "normal" levels (25-18-15 etc).

Right now you get trophy for overall time which is not connected with points at all. You can get "winner"points for Saturday and then lose 20 places on Sunday without consequence.

Liked 403 Times in 251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Backa View Post
    people who invest their money into WRC want to avoid borefests like that.
    I agree with that statement in principle. But the solution should be understanding what it is about certain formats/tech regs/cost issues (i.e. resultant entry numbers) which causes those issues.

An incredibly difficult question to answer I know but probably a more elegant solution will work and have multiple benefits rather than a contrived points system to try and force a situation.

Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    And what are you doing about it Stan? I'm autistic and even I could see the point Andy is making It seems like you will accept whatever rule changes WRC will make because 'they know what they are doing'.
    I don't mind people's opinions, it isn't about his or mine. What I don't like is when people bring a toxic aggression to the forum that spreads and everybody starts with the low quality posts. I didn't read his post as in jest, but if it was then so was mine. Does Andy have the stones to say that out loud in the WRC offices? Probably not. And we all know what is he going to do about it all - keep watching and whinging.

What I'm going to do about it? I can accept this, and probably more changes, until there's the one rule change I disagree with and turn off. Same as everybody here including you. I won't be yelling to a discussion forum that everybody needs to change their opinion to match mine because they are wrong, or insulting the human beings involved like a two year old trying to get their own way.

The counter argument to that is why should a controlled cruise to the end be a 'wrong' way to win?
    I don't believe I ever said it was. It's not. And FWIW not all cruising is to the win. However, I do think it is unwatchable. I've said many times here that I never bothered with Sunday stages in previous seasons.
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    The problem with what happened in Japan does not lie with the points but with the pitiful state the series is in. This points system is like putting a band-aid on cancer.
    Of course improving point system is not something that solve all problems within WRC and I doubt anyone disagree with that but Japan 2023 having current point system (with additional rule ensuring winner gets more points than others) would make it more interesting to watch than it was.

Liked 3,297 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Why? Take the old motorsport adage of 'the aim is to win going as slowly as possible.' I've bastardised that somewhat, so maybe someone can correct me and if it was Moss, Fangio or Lauda who said it.
    "To finish first, you must first finish." - Juan Manuel Fangio
    https://pl.pinterest.com/pin/167266573638576005/
    Is that what you meant?
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    I don't mind people's opinions, it isn't about his or mine. What I don't like is when people bring a toxic aggression to the forum that spreads and everybody starts with the low quality posts. I didn't read his post as in jest, but if it was then so was mine. Does Andy have the stones to say that out loud in the WRC offices? Probably not. And we all know what is he going to do about it all - keep watching and whinging.

What I'm going to do about it? I can accept this, and probably more changes, until there's the one rule change I disagree with and turn off. Same as everybody here including you. I won't be yelling to a discussion forum that everybody needs to change their opinion to match mine because they are wrong, or insulting the human beings involved like a two year old trying to get their own way.

I don't believe I ever said it was. It's not. And FWIW not all cruising is to the win. However, I do think it is unwatchable. I've said many times here that I never bothered with Sunday stages in previous seasons.
    OK I interpreted it more like ‘here are some hard facts about motorsport and sport in general, so why did the WRC see it as a problem that needs addressing’ as a discussion point to why the WRC commission decided to make this change. Not as a rude response to people whining about this issue (from either side of the fence).

I honestly think a lot of us, you and I included, would actually have the stones to say “no I don’t actually like this points system” and give a measured answer if pressed why. What I wouldn’t have the stones for would be saying driver X is crap and doesn’t deserve their seat

At the end of the day this is just a discussion forum with no bearing on what the WRC Commission does - perhaps social media comments get more attention from them, I don’t know. But I get it, sometimes comments can come across with no sense of jest as may or may not have been the intention.

10. Likes: WRCStan (19th February 2024)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Z View Post
    "To finish first, you must first finish." - Juan Manuel Fangio
    https://pl.pinterest.com/pin/167266573638576005/
    Is that what you meant?
    Something like that, but I think it was more about going as slow as possible to still beat everyone else!

12. Likes: Jarek Z (19th February 2024)
    Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Something like that, but I think it was more about going as slow as possible to still beat everyone else!
    Niki Lauda: “The secret is to win going as slowly as possible”

Some say it was Fangio and Lauda was just quoting.

14. Likes: HKSjbg (19th February 2024),Jarek Z (19th February 2024)