Page 88 of 95 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast
    Liked 177 Times in 108 Posts
    https://www.instagram.com/stories/ra...IxZTQ5aGdtOA==

Something for fun, hope you can open it

2. Likes: Morte66 (18th February 2024)
    Liked 146 Times in 56 Posts
    If we put the pros and cons debate aside for a while and delve into finding the most suitable event strategy, an interesting array of options become apparent.
    A cautions drive through all of Friday and early Saturday, and then an attack in the afternoon and all of Sunday, would appear the most optimal system. You benefit when those charging drop off or out, and leaves you with only 25-30% of the mileage to attack. In essence you reduce the risk mileage.
    The current system is actually benefitting those with long-term strategies

Liked 844 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker View Post
    Cruising in WRC should stop
    Why? It's part of the vast majority of motorsports. 24 hours of Le Mans is a popular and beloved event, yet leaders cruise for the several final hours more often than not.

5. Likes: becher (19th February 2024),Mirek (19th February 2024),PLuto (19th February 2024),Tauri_J (19th February 2024),WRC1 (19th February 2024)
    Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    Why? It's part of the vast majority of motorsports. 24 hours of Le Mans is a popular and beloved event, yet leaders cruise for the several final hours more often than not.
    Has people glued to their screens for the duration I'm sure.
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi

Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Has people glued to their screens for the duration I'm sure.
    Definitely, plenty of people follow the whole race, or as long as they can. Probably they're mature enough to understand that cruising and easy wins are a possibility and part of motorsport.

8. Likes: AndyRAC (19th February 2024),becher (19th February 2024)
    Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Not talking about the whole race nor other competitors, nor what cruising is or easy wins, or what motorsport typically involves: Context is, why would a typical fan watch TV for several hours at the end of the 24 a car they know to be cruising and isn't racing?

You say plenty of people, I say only a dedicated minority and it's not a good way to stimulate stories, excitement, growth of the series...
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi

why would a typical fan watch TV for several hours at the end of the 24 a car they know to be cruising and isn't racing?

You say plenty of people, I say only a dedicated minority and it's not a good way to stimulate stories, excitement, growth of the series...
    Because if a motorsport fan, even not a hardcore one, decides to watch the 24 hours of Le Mans, they know more or less what to expect. They know someone might win by a big margin and might not push. But the great majority of typical fans won't stop watching, because there are other battles to follow on the track, there's the unpredictability of spins, crashes, technical troubles, safety cars, lapped cars getting in the way. And most of all, because a typical motorsport fan loves racing and racing cars.
    If instead a Mustang loving Joe from Alabama casually stumbles upon a Le Mans broadcast and gets quickly bored because there are no car pile-ups and super close racing like in NASCAR... who cares? Endurance racing, rallying and most motorsports are not for him and there's no point in changing them to appeal to him. I don't find basketball entertaining and there's nothing the basketball federation of the universe can do to make me watch a game, period.
    Sunday cruising is such a small problem that even if you "solve" it with weird point system, you won't see a difference in the fanbase. I highly doubt anybody will say "Oh Sundays used to be so boring, now some of the drivers push more for those 3-4 stages"

11. Likes: AndyRAC (19th February 2024),skarderud (19th February 2024)
    Liked 156 Times in 62 Posts
    Just watched today's events. I'm completely disgusted that the rally winner gets (significantly!) fewer points than the guy who finished second. That should NEVER happen imo. If I was in charge, I would have:

Super Saturday, points awarded to top 10 (10, 9, 8, 7, ...)
    Super Sunday, points awarded to top 10 (10, 9, 8, 7, ...)
    At the end of the rally, cumulative times from the three days still result in an overal winner being crowned, and points being awarded to the top 10 (25, 18, 15, ...)
    So maximum points in a rally would be 50 (10 + 10 + 25 + 5).

That way, you get the "extra incentive" provided by the "Super" days, so the guys in settled positions at the end of Friday don't just cruise to the finish, but the big overall points at the end ensure the overall win will still weight the most. The "Super" points are just that, bonuses, incentives.

13. Likes: PLuto (19th February 2024),WRC1 (19th February 2024)
    Liked 380 Times in 185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker View Post
    Cruising in WRC should stop, so I don't see anything wrong with the new points system.
    Congrats Evans for winning rally Sweden.
    But we had cruising on Saturday and Sunday at Monte and in Sweden this year?

15. Likes: becher (19th February 2024),Rallyper (19th February 2024)
    Liked 380 Times in 185 Posts
    Not talking about the whole race nor other competitors, nor what cruising is or easy wins, or what motorsport typically involves: Context is, why would a typical fan watch TV for several hours at the end of the 24 a car they know to be cruising and isn't racing?

Yet, WEC is the series that has grown most the last couple of years with the new rule package. The problem for WRC isn't that some drivers go safe on some stages...

17. Likes: AndyRAC (19th February 2024)