Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Liked 237 Times in 112 Posts
    how would equal cars would be achieved? never... its a nice dream that everybody drives an equal cars, but teams wants to win, so... ok, on tv or on photo would look better: 'same class cars and many drivers' - but in the forest it would be the same - top 5 or 6 fast guys, and after that spectacle others would look slow and boring... now at least we have wrc spectacular cars, then few nice drives with Rally2 cars... and the rest is boring to watch real....

Liked 660 Times in 319 Posts
    Anyone who thinks that any drivers other than the current top 6 or 7 would ever have a chance to get close to these top guys even if they were all competing in 'equal' Rally2 equipment is absolutely deluded.

You can change the class of cars, these guys would still wipe the floor with them.

3. Likes: drive (10th January 2024),EstWRC (10th January 2024),wyler (10th January 2024)
    Liked 798 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drive View Post
    how would equal cars would be achieved? never... its a nice dream that everybody drives an equal cars, but teams wants to win, so... ok, on tv or on photo would look better: 'same class cars and many drivers' - but in the forest it would be the same - top 5 or 6 fast guys, and after that spectacle others would look slow and boring... now at least we have wrc spectacular cars, then few nice drives with Rally2 cars... and the rest is boring to watch real....
    The Rally2's wont look boring if you don't have the Rally1's before them.
    Every car driven at full send is entertaining to watch, even an Rally5.
    Cars driven at 50% is not, even a Rally1.

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk
    Radioreporter @ www.radiomotor.no

KNA Lillehammer Motorsport

Liked 798 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend View Post
    Anyone who thinks that any drivers other than the current top 6 or 7 would ever have a chance to get close to these top guys even if they were all competing in 'equal' Rally2 equipment is absolutely deluded.

You can change the class of cars, these guys would still wipe the floor with them.
    Absolutely! Every country have some local heroes that can blend in. Of course hard for them to win, but can make a lot of exitement and enthusiasm! And that is something we need!
    In the 90's, if was always some local heros mixing in, in the "dull" Gr.A cars that some local tuners managed too made competitive. Combined with local knowledge and familiar to the roads of course.

I want this back, maybe not possible, but why not?

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk
    Radioreporter @ www.radiomotor.no

KNA Lillehammer Motorsport

6. Likes: macebig (10th January 2024)
    Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts

I'm responding to you but it's really to the idea that you and others have written, and asking some honest questions.

For me that's not the main point, the main point is to give new drivers a chance to learn the machinery. Remember guys like Makinen, Gronholm, Hirvonen, even Loeb and Ogier and many others got a chance to drive a top tier car as a privateer or sponsored or occasional entry as a non nominated car to get noticed or get a chance to learn. Neuville was sponsored to drive in a 2nd "private" Ford team and finished 2nd in the championship before he went to Hyundai. How many new drivers are we getting recently, especially with the complicated hybrids? Only MSport is doing this because they have no choice...

If there are no privateers or "extra cars", how will we get multiple top drivers in the future? Will we pull them out of the pocket? I get that the idea is to have a small elite category with Rally1 but is that healthy medium to long term? If Rovanpera comes back pumped up and Tanak retires and we get 2-7 years of domination will that be fun to watch? I think whoever is running the show is trying to force a product by gimmicks like the points system instead of building something from the foundation. Maybe it's not for me and I watch too much rally for my own good but I'm a bit cynical at the moment.

8. Likes: HKSjbg (10th January 2024),Jarek Z (10th January 2024),skarderud (10th January 2024),TWRC (11th January 2024),WRCStan (10th January 2024)
    Liked 430 Times in 227 Posts
    Exactly. Kale and Tanak are only here because Hari and Markko Martin were able to rent a top class car and prove themselves. And that's only a recent example.

10. Likes: Jarek Z (10th January 2024)
    Liked 3,297 Times in 1,736 Posts

No.

It's like saying in 1993 that Makinen and Gronholm would never have a chance to get close to the top guys, because Kankkunen, Auriol and Sainz would always wipe the floor with them.

But in mid nineties Makinen and Gronholm had a chance to drive similar cars as the top guys, after 2-3 years they caught up with them and then topped them.
    Last edited by Jarek Z; 10th January 2024 at 21:06.
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

12. Likes: macebig (11th January 2024),Rallyper (11th January 2024),seb_sh (10th January 2024),steve.mandzij (11th January 2024)
    Liked 3,297 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skarderud View Post
    Absolutely! Every country have some local heroes that can blend in. Of course hard for them to win, but can make a lot of exitement and enthusiasm! And that is something we need!
    In the 90's, if was always some local heros mixing in, in the "dull" Gr.A cars that some local tuners managed too made competitive. Combined with local knowledge and familiar to the roads of course.
    Exactly. Mats Jonsson, Gianfranco Cunico, Jesus Puras, Philippe Bugalski are just some examples of this.
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

14. Likes: Rallyper (11th January 2024),steve.mandzij (11th January 2024)
    Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skarderud View Post
    I want this back, maybe not possible, but why not?
    What kind of Group A suitable cars are the residents of lillehammer buying?
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi

16. Likes: Gregor-y (24th January 2024)
    Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    I think whoever is running the show is trying to force a product by gimmicks like the points system instead of building something from the foundation.
    Do you have anything in mind other than car regs, affordability and accessibility?

I have no idea on your main point, expanded FIA Rally Star program seems probable though.
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi