Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Esteban Ocon vows to switch to “war mode” for 2024: “No life, flat out, only racing”.
    Alpine driver Esteban Ocon has issued a warning to his F1 rivals as he looks to bounce back from an underwhelming 2023 campaign, vowing to switch to “war mode”.
    7 Dec 2023
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

Looking ahead to 2024, Ocon plans to restart training a week before Christmas before fully focusing on racing in the new year.

"I think 17th of December, that's when I will restart training. So, that's until Christmas,” he added. “Almost a week. Then from 2nd of Jan until the first test, I will be back fully into training camp. I'm going to be doing it the way I was doing in 2022, which is no life, flat out, only racing.”

“We've been doing a lot of different things and activations outside the track this year. That's going to change next year. Back to war mode and fully focused on the racing side.”

“War mode”;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/104263...ut-only-racing

Alpine compromised in Las Vegas by "experiments" for F1 2024
    20:34 Fri, 17 Nov 2023.
    AUTHORAdam Cooper
    Motorsport.com

Pierre Gasly says that his Alpine Formula 1 team is compromised over the Las Vegas GP weekend by "experiments" that are being conducted with an eye on the 2024 car.

While not divulging any details, Alpine technical director Matt Harman indicated that the test items could have a significant impact on next year's design. "We got some experiments that we're going to be trying this weekend," he said. "And they're all around some work we've done recently that informed us on a certain direction that we'd like to take.”

"We've had some components made over the weekend by the factory, which was a great response by the factory, because I wanted to try something particularly different at this event. And I'm excited to see it.
    "You're not going to see in lap times, but we're going to see in data.

‘Experiments for F1 2024’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...ents/10547802/

Gasly reveals Alpine 2024 F1 car ‘experiments’ in Las Vegas
    11:05 Wed, 22 Nov 2023.
    by Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Pierre Gasly has revealed that Alpine elected to conduct “experiments” related to its 2024 Formula 1 car throughout the recent Las Vegas Grand Prix weekend. Gasly admitted Alpine had compromised its Vegas prospects, but the Frenchman asserted that he was prepared to sacrifice his weekend for a longer-term improvement.

Alpine Technical Director Matt Harman confirmed Gasly’s disclosure, adding that the updated components were inspired by the marque’s potential direction for next year. “We [have] got some experiments that we’re going to be trying this weekend,” he told Autosport. “And they’re all around some work we’ve done recently that informed us on a certain direction that we’d like to take.”

“We’ve had some components made over the weekend by the factory, which was a great response by the factory, because I wanted to try something particularly different at this event. And I’m excited to see it. You’re not going to see in lap times, but we’re going to see in data.”

‘2024 F1 car experiments’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...-in-las-vegas/

Ambitious Pierre Gasly outlines 'clear target’ for Alpine in F1 2024
    2 Dec 2023
    Lewis Larkam
    Crash.Net

Pierre Gasly says winning another F1 race is the “clear target” he is working towards heading into the 2024 season. The Alpine driver scored his maiden grand prix win at the 2020 Italian Grand Prix when he was at AlphaTauri, but the Frenchman is yet to taste victory again since.

Gasly is determined to change that and hopes 2024 can be the year he returns to the top step of the podium. I want to say 2024 because this is the clear target and that's the goal I'm working towards,” Gasly told F1’s Beyond The Grid podcast.

"I just want it to happen very, very, very badly next season. I really hope we can hear the French anthem on the podium in Formula 1 next season in 2024.”

‘Ambitious Pierre Gasly’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/104078...alpine-f1-2024

Ocon driving 2024 Alpine F1 car model since September
    15:02 Sun, 12 Nov 2023.
    by Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Esteban Ocon reveals that he’s been driving a model of Alpine’s 2024 Formula 1 car in the simulator since September, the earliest he’s ever conducted the practice in his career. In a bid to reverse its flailing fortunes, Ocon, who maintains that Alpine can replicate McLaren’s progress this year, has disclosed that he’s driven a model of the team’s A524 in the simulator two months in advance.

“Obviously the team is very well aware of where they have to go, in terms of improving the current situation,” Ocon said ahead of last weekend’s Sao Paulo Grand Prix.

“I’ve been driving the car quite a bit in the simulator, the 2024 model. Quite early on, compared to usual. So that has been a very good thing, we’ve been able to tackle some issues and to have some early feedback, in comparison to really driving it end of November or December, we were able to do that early September.”

‘Driving 2024 Alpine F1 car model’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...nce-september/

The lingering questions that remain from the unnecessary FIA/Wolff saga.
    There remains a bitter aftertaste to all that has happened because no parties have come out of the events of the week looking good.
    09:41, 7th Dec. 2023.
    AUTHORJonathan Noble
    Motorsport.com

The FIA's decision to back away from its compliance probe into Mercedes boss Toto Wolff and wife Susie brought an end to an explosive 48 hours for Formula 1. But the shockwaves from the FIA's decision to declare that it was looking into a potential conflict of interest over the passing of confidential information between the Wolffs are going to stick around for a while.

The Wolffs, Mercedes and FOM have had their reputations sullied by the allegations, the media has been caught up in a misinformation fog of war, and the FIA's actions have led to it being on the receiving end of heavy criticism. The events of the week were entirely avoidable, as the whole thing could have been conducted in private and settled without the need for anyone in the outside world to even know about it.

But it's the fact that matters went so public, and the disparity between the FIA's view of there being team complaints and all of Mercedes' rivals insisting that is not the case, that has left some lingering questions about the whole affair.

‘The lingering questions’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...saga/10556219/

FIA’s embarrassing retreat: The Wolff scandal that totally backfired
    7th Dec. 2023,07:09
    Andrew Maitland
    Grandpx.news

The FIA, under the leadership of Mohammed Ben Sulayem, has executed a dramatic about-face following its short-lived Formula 1 probe into a scandal involving Toto Wolff and his wife Susie.

The investigation, sparked by a lone report in Business F1 magazine, essentially accused Mercedes chief Wolff and his wife, now the managing director of the F1 Academy, of conflict of interest and sharing confidential information. However, the evidence, or rather the lack of it, quickly turned the tables.

“There is not even any circumstantial evidence,” declared Michel Milewski, a Bild newspaper correspondent, pointing out the shaky foundation of the inquiry. “The trigger was a single report in Business F1 – a magazine that has been considered dubious in the paddock since its publication, with a questionable reputation,” he added.

‘FIA’s embarrassing retreat’;

https://grandpx.news/fias-embarrassi...lly-backfired/

FIA's swift, unsatisfactory end to controversial Wolff/F1 saga
    Dec 7, 2023
    by Scott Mitchell-Malm
    The Race

It is unlikely that there will be a satisfactory public resolution given the FIA has not issued any detail about what sparked its initial action beyond "media speculation", or responded to what the teams communicated. To justify the surprise media announcement and the decision to make this a public issue, having blind-sided those involved, this merited a thorough process, not one completed in a day or two. The outcome confirms it was a nothing issue, and the resolution is vague.

There was no issue with the principle of the FIA looking into the matter as an act of due diligence, but it was clearly ill-handled, caught the parties involved needlessly off guard, and created a completely avoidable public spectacle when the original subject matter has proven to be unreliable anyway. Instead of that being acknowledged and the instigators accepting that this may have been an ill-judged overreaction, the FIA unsurprisingly states it was simply doing its job.

‘FIA's swift, unsatisfactory end’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/s...wolff-f1-saga/

FIA’s Wolff Investigation Barely Lasted 2 Days and Underscores F1’s Worsening Rift
    Only the FIA could prompt a rare, fleeting moment of solidarity between F1 teams.
    PUBLISHED Dec 7, 2023 5:20 PM EST
    By Jerry Perez
    The Drive

It hasn't been a great last few years for the relationship between Formula 1 and its governing body, the FIA. From passive-aggressive remarks to not being on the same page about key matters, diplomacy has suffered since Mohammed Ben Sulayem replaced Jean Todt in late 2021. The latest scandal surrounding a surprise FIA investigation involving Toto and Susie Wolff—and its sudden squashing of it—is amplifying this animosity to new levels.

It all started when the FIA was allegedly tipped off by a report in the Business F1 magazine, and issued a press release Tuesday announcing an investigation into a leak of confidential information. Specifically, the information in question was said to have been divulged "to an F1 team principal from a member of FOM personnel." More specifically, it accused Susie of sharing sensitive F1 (FOM) information with her husband Toto, an F1 team principal.

‘Investigation Barely Lasted 2 Days’;

https://www.thedrive.com/news/fias-w...worsening-rift

‘Absolute bunch of clowns’: F1 Wolff probe binned as ‘ridiculous’ motor bosses grilled
    December 8th, 2023 8:26 am
    AFP from Afp
    Fox Sports (Australia)

Motor sport’s governing body, the FIA, on Thursday announced that it had ended a short-lived investigation into a potential conflict of interest believed to centre on Susie Wolff and husband Toto, the Mercedes team boss.

The FIA, without naming any individuals or teams, had launched the investigation after allegations of information of a confidential nature being passed to an F1 team principal from a member of Formula One Management (FOM) personnel. The spotlight had fallen on Toto Wolff, the high-profile and outspoken boss of the Mercedes team, and his wife Susie.

‘Absolute bunch of clowns’;

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...b4fb8c3ddbf673

Susie Wolff slams FIA and tells of online abuse aimed at family: ‘Is that it?’
    Susie Wolff has criticised Formula 1’s governing body, the FIA, and told of the online abuse aimed at her family after a week which saw a conflict of interest investigation against her and husband Toto dropped.
    12:50, 8th Dec. 2023.
    Kieran Jackson Formula 1 Correspondent.
    1 Correspondent
    The Independent

The FIA confirmed a compliance team looked into the matter but, on Thursday night, they dropped the probe… However, Susie insists this is not the end of the matter, detailing how nobody from the FIA has spoken to her this week in a statement on Twitter/X on Friday. Toto also confirmed he is in an “active legal exchange with the FIA” over the matter.

“When I saw the statement issued by the FIA yesterday evening, my first reaction was: ‘Is that it?’” she said. “For two days, insinuations have been made about my integrity in public and through background briefings, but nobody from the FIA has spoken to me directly.”

“I might have been collateral damage in an unsuccessful attack on somebody else, or the target of a failed attempt to discredit me personally, but I have worked too hard to have my reputation called into question by an unfounded press release.”

‘Is that it?’;

https://www.independent.co.uk/f1/f1-...-b2460819.html

‘Insinuations have been made’ – Toto Wolff in ‘legal exchange with FIA’ over alleged conflict of interest row
    8th Dec. 2023, 13:38
    Philip Duncan
    The Irish Independent

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said he is an “active legal exchange with the FIA” after the governing body launched an investigation into claims of an alleged conflict of interest with his wife, Susie.
    The FIA has since dropped the controversial probe, which arose after a report in Business F1 magazine claimed that other team principals were concerned Wolff was benefiting from information shared by his…..

‘Insinuations have been made’;

https://www.independent.ie/sport/oth...188720616.html

Susie Wolff suffers online abuse after ‘not good enough’ FIA probe
    Saturday 9th December, 2023 - 12:44am
    By Ian Parkes
    Speedcafe

“When I saw the statement issued by the FIA yesterday evening, my first reaction was: ‘Is that it?’” said Wolff in a social media post. “For two days, insinuations have been made about my integrity in public and through background briefings, but nobody from the FIA has spoken to me directly. I might have been collateral damage in an unsuccessful attack on somebody else, or the target of a failed attempt to discredit me personally, but I have worked too hard to have my reputation called into question by an unfounded press release.”

Whilst expressing her gratitude to the teams for their show of support, Wolff has stated the events of the past few days have taken a toll, and it is now time for those responsible for sparking the furore to be held accountable. “We have come a long way as a sport,” added Wolff. “I was extremely thankful for the unified support of the Formula 1 teams. I have worked with so many passionate women and men at F1 and the FIA, who have the very best interests of our sport at heart.”

“However, this episode has so far taken place without transparency or accountability. I have received online abuse about my work and my family. I will not allow myself to be intimidated and intend to follow up until I have found out who has instigated this campaign and misled the media. What happened this week is simply not good enough. As a sport, we must demand, and we deserve, better.”

‘Events of the past few days have taken a toll’;

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/12/09...-online-abuse/

Susie Wolff blasts FIA response – wants accountability
    08/12/2023 at 13:14
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

The FIA has dropped its inquiry into a possible conflict of interest involving Toto and Susie Wolff, but the latter intends on holding the governing body accountable for its “misleading” and “unfounded” communication. On Tuesday evening, the FIA announced that its Compliance Department had launched an investigation into allegations of sensitive information being shared between an F1 team principal and a member of Formula One Management (FOM).

This inquiry stemmed from a questionable media report suggesting that Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff made a remark during a meeting of team principals that was based on confidential material only accessible to FOM personnel. The report further claimed that Wolff's wife Susie, who serves as the managing director of the all-female racing series F1 Academys, may have had greater access to this information due to her position.

Mercedes, Susie Wolff and Formula 1 – who had not been informed by the FIA of its investigation – immediately denounced the allegations as well as the governing body’s inquiry. On Wednesday, F1 teams presented a united front through a coordinated release of a statement in which they denied lodging a complaint with the FIA and offered their support to Susie Wolff.

‘Wants accountability’;

https://f1i.com/news/496094-susie-wo...ntability.html

Susie Wolff hits out at FIA after investigation into F1 Academy chief and Mercedes boss Toto Wolff
    The FIA announced on Thursday that it had dropped an investigation into Susie and Toto Wolff after finding F1's compliance rules to be sufficiently robust to prevent any breaches of confidentiality; Mercedes say they are in "active legal exchange with the FIA" regarding the situation
    Last Updated: 08/12/23 12:36pm
    Sky Sports

Susie Wolff has hit out at the FIA after Formula 1's governing body launched and then dropped an investigation into the F1 Academy managing director and her husband, Mercedes boss Toto Wolff, over an alleged breach of confidentiality.

‘Susie Wolff hits out at FIA’;

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...oss-toto-wolff

MPH: F1 power struggle behind Toto & Susie Wolff 'double agent' probe
    December 8th 2023
    Author: Mark Hughes
    Motor Sport Magazine

So you may have been following the controversy about Toto and Susie Wolff and the FIA’s concern about their respective roles, with the former as an F1 team principal, the latter working directly for Formula One Management (FOM) boss Stefano Domenicali. The implication was that either Susie or Toto – or both – were potentially double agents. Susie could be leaking FOM information to the teams through Toto. Toto could be leaking team information to FOM through Susie.

It was a plot line seemingly hatched in an over-imaginative journalistic mind. For the function of a double agent to have any meaning, the two sides would need to be in conflict. The report in question alleged that the concern had been voiced by ‘an F1 team principal.’

The relevant point here is that it would be an odd thing for an F1 team principal to be concerned about. Because FOM and the teams are almost perfectly aligned; so close it’s almost impossible to see the joins. Together they are making way more money than F1 has ever made before and on virtually every matter of consequence they sing from the same hymn sheet.

‘F1 power struggle & 'double agent' probe’;

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...?nowprocket=1#

Wolff savages FIA investigation as Mercedes confirm 'legal exchange'
    Friday 8 December 2023 13:27
    Sam Cook
    GPFans

Mercedes also released a statement via X on behalf of team boss Toto Wolff, claiming that there are now 'legal exchanges' ongoing with the FIA. "We understand that there is significant media interest in the events of this week. We are currently in active legal exchange with the FIA," the statement revealed.

"We await full transparency about what took place and why, and have expressly reserved all legal rights. Therefore we ask for your understanding that we will not be commenting officially for now, but we will certainly address the matter in due course."

‘Wolff savages FIA investigation’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...-misled-media/

Fry reveals why he traded unenthusiastic Alpine for Williams.
    Recently appointed Williams Formula 1 Chief Technical Officer Pat Fry has revealed he departed Alpine because the team lacked the “enthusiasm” needed to progress.
    12:08 Sat, 02 Dec 2023
    by Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Having undertaken spells at both McLaren and Ferrari since leaving the Enstone squad – when it was known as Benetton – Fry returned to the Renault-owned group in 2020. The British engineer played a pivotal role in propelling Alpine up to fourth place in the Constructors’ Championship upon F1’s switch to ground effect machinery last year.

“I look back at the first three years I was there, and we improved Enstone, dramatically,” Fry said in Abu Dhabi. “Year-on-year, we built a better car. If you put the three cars next to each other, each one was a massive step. It’s a credit for everyone there, the various teams were collaborating a huge amount better. I think everyone there should be proud of what we achieved for those three years.”

“I guess I’d gone back there to go back to the place you started your career and try and rebuild it. And I think we did really well. From a distant fifth, we were a solid fourth. But I didn’t feel there was the enthusiasm or the drive to move forward beyond fourth. I decided at the start of March that I want to be pushing things forward, I don’t just want to sit there and not be able to do things. So for me, that was time to stop and move on, really,” he added.”

‘Pushing things forward’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...-for-williams/

Why Williams’ decision on Sargeant lacks courage
    07:13 Mon, 04 Dec 2023.
    Andrew Maitland
    Grandpx.news

After the conclusion of an intense 2023 season, Williams made a historic announcement that fell under the radar of many European F1 journalists desperate for a weekend off. The team confirmed that Logan Sargeant would be retained for the 2024 season, marking a milestone in Formula 1 history—there will be no driver changes at all from one season to the next.

However, not everyone is convinced that retaining Sargeant is the right move for Williams. Veteran F1 journalist Roger Benoit expressed skepticism, suggesting that the team may lack the courage to embrace change. In his opinion piece for the Swiss newspaper Blick, Benoit pointed out Sargeant’s challenging rookie season, where he secured only a single world championship point and went 0-22 in the qualifying duel against Alex Albon.

“The fact that Logan Sargeant has survived demonstrates nonsense or a lack of money,” he wrote. “The American is statistically the worst driver of the season, with a single world championship point and 0-22 in the qualifying duel against Alex Albon.”

‘Lacks courage’;

https://grandpx.news/why-williams-de...lacks-courage/

F1 star dished dirt on rivals to help seal return to the grid
    Wednesday 6 December 2023 14:57
    Cal Gaunt
    GPFans

Alex Albon leveraged compelling data that compared his performances at Red Bull with those of Pierre Gasly and Sergio Perez to persuade Williams to bring him on board in 2022. Having been initially brought in as a mid-season replacement for the struggling Gasly at Red Bull, Albon faced similar difficulties to the Frenchman.

It wasn't until he meticulously compiled a spreadsheet comparing his statistical performances with those of his predecessor and successor, presenting it to team principals, that he successfully secured his return to F1 with Williams. "I kind of did something I think everyone would do in the same way as me," Albon told the High Performance podcast.

"I basically got statistics and research on Pierre Gasly, who I replaced myself in the team and then Sergio [Perez] at the time, who is currently in the seat. "It was very simple statistics, but most of it was relative to Max so speed, qualifying, race, on an Excel sheet."

‘To help seal return to the grid’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...lliams-return/

Albon interview: How face of Williams revival is keen to push even further
    06 December 9:00PM
    Author Jake Nichol
    Co-author Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

Alex Albon was thrown a Formula 1 lifeline by Williams for '22. He hit the ground running a strong point in Australia, but the package was still weak as the team scored eight points all-season as Albon tried to blow the cobwebs away, but still earned plaudits for his efforts.

Come 2023, with new team boss James Vowles in tow, Albon scored 27 points and led Williams to seventh in the Constructors' - a leap of millions of dollars in prize money from the last place it had earned in four of the previous five seasons, 2021 being the exception. Albon spearheaded Williams' return to midfield respectability as the FW45 proved a capable points-scorer, once a big mid-season upgrade was introduced in Canada, with the Thai scoring in seven races plus one Sprint.

His performances marked him out as one of the best-performers on the grid, well above the 13th he took in the Drivers'. Albon is now inextricably-linked as the face of Williams' revival under Vowles, and spoke at length to select media including RacingNews365 of his own performances in 2023, and how his performance and that of the car must meld together to extract results.

‘Keen to push even further’;

https://racingnews365.com/albon-excl...h-even-further

Williams Have Concluded A Season To Be Proud Of
    December 5, 2023
    By: Nicole Powell
    Last Word On Sports

Williams Racing F1 team are the second most successful team in Formula One history. But since 1998, they have been in a decline in terms of on-track performance. For over two decades now, the team have struggled to compete at the same level as the other top teams in Formula 1. Securing sponsorships and investments due to poor performance has also put a dent in their finance department.

The recovery process in F1 can be complex and often takes time. One notable development was the sale of the Williams team to Dorilton Capital in August 2020 by the Williams family. It’s been a slow and steady climb so far, but the 2023 season shows where the Williams team is headed, and it’s clear skies ahead.
    In January this year, Williams announced that James Vowles was selected to be their new team principal. The Mercedes veteran has since proven why he was entrusted with the job, and why Mercedes had nothing but praise for him as he left for Williams. There is no denying the progress Williams have made this year, and a big part of that is thanks to James Vowles’ leadership. For one, after finishing the 2022 season, Williams have proudly concluded their 2023 season in P7!

‘A Season To Be Proud Of’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...o-be-proud-of/

AlphaTauri set for 2024 identity change and new sponsors.
    "We will change the company name, we will change identity, logo, everything, a complete relaunch, complete rebrand.
    22/11/2023 at 09:38
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

“The identity will be generic,” CEO Peter Bayer explained, quoted by Motorsport.com. “The identity is what Toro Rosso would have been, and it’s moving closer to the Red Bull family again. But then it will appear with the naming rights partners.

"The name of the team, the identity, has been decided by the shareholders. And I need to carry it with me without being able to share, which is very difficult!”

‘Identity change’;

https://f1i.com/news/494540-alphatau...-sponsors.html

Exclusive: Why AlphaTauri is changing its branding ahead of the 2024 F1 season
    22 November 7:00PM
    Author Jesse Janse
    Co-author Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

While the clothing brandAlphaTauri will not cease to exist, the fact that an F1 team carries the marque's name no longer fits with the new direction, Bayer stressed. "AlphaTauri is going to do things differently,” he stated. “They're going a slightly different direction away from flagship stores to department stores, shop-in-shop concepts. Business is doing well, but they are not making enough money to sponsor an F1 team.

"So all of that opened up a new discussion, whether we will go for a rebranding, whether we will open the process for a new identity which we saw thought was extremely important. The sport is booming. “Fans need to understand who you are and which team you belong to. And we didn't think it's ideal that the team is named after a sponsor. There should be an identity like we had with Toro Rosso.”

This decision will also benefit the fight with rival teams off the track, claims Bayer.
    “We're fighting on the commercial side. We're fighting against brands like Ferrari, Mercedes and Aston Martin. We need a good identity and all of that together really gave us food for thought and allowed us into to start the process. So we want to have an identity and then the naming rights type of sponsors can add themselves, like you see up and down the paddock.”

‘Changing its branding’;

https://racingnews365.com/why-alphat...eholders-agree

AlphaTauri copies powerful Red Bull weapon with an eye on 2024
    28 November 8:00PM
    Author Paolo Filisetti
    RacingNews365

Since the beginning of the season, the Faenza-based team's single-seater has long been characterized by poor competitiveness, the result of a fundamentally flawed aerodynamic concept, which the team was only able to partially correct in the final part of the year. This explained the introduction of the development, designed to improve balance but above all to increase the downforce generated by the floor and the stability of the centre of pressure under the car.

Deploying a change of this magnitude at this time indicates that the engineers at AlphaTauri considered an objective evaluation of the development essential in order to proceed along this path, with greater certainty in the phase of defining the details of the aerodynamic concept of next year's car.

It’s a crucial factor in order to not find themselves again with a car limited in terms of aerodynamic staff and tools, both of which gradually became available throughout the season, but which had effectively prevented the development of the AT04 throughout the season and its ability to fight in the midfield.

‘An eye on 2024’;

https://racingnews365.com/alphatauri...an-eye-on-2024

AlphaTauri to address side effects of low-speed F1 prowess with 2024 car
    10:02 Thu, 30 Nov 2023.
    AUTHORFilip Cleeren
    Motorsport.com

AlphaTauri conceded turning its low-speed weakness into a head-turning strength has hurt its drag level, which has become a priority to address for the 2024 Formula 1 season.

"Some of the focus has been on the slow speed corners," said the team's head of trackside engineering Jonathan Eddolls. "It was a bit of a weakness. "I would say the area we still need to address for next year is the aerodynamic efficiency. Because yes, we are quite competitive in the slow speed corners.”

“But we've got the downside, we're one of the slowest cars on the straights. We make the time in the corners, but then we're losing on the straights. I think we need to reintegrate, redress the balance of load in the corners and aerodynamic efficiency. But that's being worked on for next year."

‘Priority’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...-car/10553663/

‘Motivated’ AlphaTauri no Longer feeling like a Red Bull Junior Team – Daniel Ricciardo
    December 9, 2023
    By Paul Hensby
    The Checkered Flag

“I feel like we’re going in the right direction,” Ricciardo is quoted as saying by Motorsport.com. “And honestly, everything I fed back to the team, I feel like they’ve actioned or done their best to make it happen or make it work. So honestly I can’t ask for too much more at the moment. It’s obviously now just how quickly can we get new parts on the car, and this and that.”

“I would say, I don’t want to be like patronising, but their heads are in the right place. I feel like we’re all kind of meeting in the right place and looking ahead. I think they value the experience I have, and I think that’s really important kind of moving forward, and they’re motivated.”

“I feel like this is not a junior team anymore. And I think with a lot of plans for next year hopefully we can prove that on track and get more points, like the last few races.”

‘Motivated’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...iel-ricciardo/

AlphaTauri CEO confirms transition AWAY from Red Bull.
    Saturday 9 December 2023 16:57
    Shay Rogers
    GPFans

AlphaTauri CEO Peter Bayer has confirmed that the team will slightly adjust their strategy ahead of a new beginning for the team in 2024.

We certainly will not be a B-team," Bayer told RacingNews365. “But I think we'll still try to fulfil one of the other strategic directives, which is to fulfil the junior development program, but we'll do it slightly differently.”

“We will not race with two juniors; we will always have one experienced driver who will take one young driver under his wings and help him to develop.” The FIA are set to announce the entry list for 2024 – and thus AlphaTauri and Sauber’s new names – on December 10th.

‘Slightly adjust their strategy’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...yer-f1-b-team/

Bottas demands ‘big steps over the winter’ with new car.
    Valtteri Bottas is hopeful of seeing “big steps over the winter” with what will be “a completely new car” ahead of the 2024 F1 season.
    Sunday 10th December, 2023 - 5:00am
    By Ian Parkes
    Speedcafe

“We brought upgrades pretty consistently all through the year, like any team,” said Bottas, regarding the development of the C43. “Some were decent steps, some minor but we didn’t find anything big. It’s been steady progress but that’s not enough. Meanwhile, some other teams found big steps, new concepts, innovative things. Some might be copying other teams but we just made steady progress. In this sport, that’s not always enough.”

“Ultimately, the biggest thing was how the car was born. It was born better than last year’s car but not better enough. That’s just how it goes. There was not one thing that was lacking.” The team is under new technical director leadership following the arrival of James Key at the start of September. Key has been instrumental in leading an overhaul of the technical department and with it the implementation of a new car.

“I feel like with the new people that we have, including James, there seems to be stuff happening,” said Bottas. “He’s obviously got lots of knowledge from even this year’s McLaren, so there’s good information coming from different people, which is good to see, and that’s what we needed.”

‘Big steps over the winter’;

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/12/10...-steps-needed/

Zhou raises his game but Bottas still lays down the law at Alfa Romeo
    2023 F1 team mates head-to-head
    Posted on 6th December 2023, 7:15
    Written by Keith Collantine
    RaceFans

Zhou Guanyu ended his first season as a Formula 1 driver well behind team mate Valtteri Bottas in the points standings, but having shown a clear upward trajectory in performance over the course of the season. Alfa Romeo kept the faith in him for 2023, and he repeated his haul of six points from the year before. That might make it seem like no progress has been made but the reality is quite different.

Indeed, as the season went on, Zhou slipped slightly further away from his team mate, only out-qualifying him once in the last nine rounds. But they tended not to qualify as far apart as other sets of team mates, such as Fernando Alonso and Lance Stroll. Zhou’s average grid position of 15.6 was only 1.8 lower than his team mate’s, and his best qualifying position of fifth was the team’s best of the season.

Zhou finished the last two races of the season in good shape, taking the chequered flag ahead of Bottas. However the team was finding it increasingly difficult to compete with rivals which had out-developed them by this stage and Zhou finished well outside the points on both occasions.

‘Zhou raises his game’;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/12/06/...at-alfa-romeo/

Sauber hints at ‘surprise’ new team name - set for UK 2024 launch
    05/12/2023 at 17:23
    Michael Delaney
    F1i.com

Sauber will unveil its 2024 contender in the UK rather than at its Hinwil base, while the Swiss outfit is also set for a “surprise” new team moniker ahead of its switch to its Audi identity in 2026. With Alfa Romeo's title sponsorship coming to an end, Sauber Motorsports is set to embark on a new chapter in Formula 1.

Speaking at last Sunday’s Autosport Awards, Bravi said: "On the 10th of December, as soon as the FIA will publish the entry list that we will of course announce the new team name. "I think it will be a surprise and we cannot wait to start the partnership with our new partners.”

In a significant symbolic gesture, Sauber will unveil its new car in the United Kingdom, a departure from its traditional launch locations in Switzerland and Germany. “We will have, I think, a really fresh approach in terms of communication marketing and we will do a launch of the car here in the UK,” added the Italian.

‘Sauber will unveil its 2024 contender in the UK’;

https://f1i.com/news/495962-sauber-h...24-launch.html

Sauber chief gives date for ‘surprise’ new name after F1 team’s Alfa Romeo split
    12:07 Wed, 06 Dec 2023.
    Kyle Archer
    F1 Oversteer

Sauber team principal Alessandro Alunni Bravi has declared that the Formula 1 team will announce their ‘surprise’ new name in December after splitting with Alfa Romeo. The Hinwil, Switzerland-based outfit were due to resume running under the Sauber name in 2024. But Bravi has now stated that the team will confirm their new name as soon as the FIA publishes the final confirmed entry list for the upcoming Formula 1 season later this month.

Alfa Romeo only increased its payment to Sauber by $5m (£4m) to become the title sponsor of the F1 team. But with Sauber selling a stake in the team to Audi to become a works outfit for 2026, Alfa Romeo and Sauber agreed to terminate their naming deal at the end of 2023.

But rather than returning solely to the Sauber name, which the team used from 1993 until 2018 – including four seasons as BMW Sauber as a works team from 2006 to 2009 – a new name awaits. Bravi has also declared that Sauber will announce the name on December 10.

‘A new name awaits’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/sau...a-romeo-split/

Exclusive: Sauber tempers expectations around Audi: 'Staying realistic for 2026'
    08 December 8:00PM
    Author Rory Mitchell
    Co-author Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

A lot is about to change at Sauber. The team had a difficult year and are looking set to lose title sponsor Alfa Romeo. But all is not lost as Team Representative Alessandro Alunni Bravi explains, in an exclusive interview with RacingNews365, they are already looking fully into the future.

To boost that development and the transition to Audi, Andreas Seidl and James Key have been brought in as CEO and Technical Director. Both men came over from McLaren, one of the few teams able to get close to Red Bull this season. "We took a decision to appoint James [Key] as a Technical Director based on the fact that he has multiple experience in a technical department, having covered different roles in his career," explains Bravi.

Although teams are forbidden from working on their car designs for the 2026 season until the start of 2025, Bravi believes it will be important to get everything in place and ready for the major changes. "The technical department needs a person like James with an overview on all the areas, and someone that can help to transform the technical departments towards 2026," says Bravi. "We have already started taking some important decisions for next year in terms of car design, because next years car for most teams will be not just our contender for 2025, but will be the basis for the 2025 car there will be a big carry over of parts."

‘Sauber tempers expectations around Audi’;

https://racingnews365.com/sauber-tem...istic-for-2026

Sauber now eyeing three current F1 drivers ahead of Audi takeover in 2026
    Wed 6 December 2023 18:00
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Sauber are slowing preparing to become the works Audi team in 2026 and will want the best drivers possible to lead them into the next era of their Formula 1 history. Speaking on The Race F1 Podcast, journalist Edd Straw was discussing the potential changes within the team and said: “They’ve got money coming in, they’ve got the Audi gear up.

“There’s lots of drivers they’re being linked with. People like Carlos Sainz, Alex Albon, Esteban Ocon, they want to upgrade their driver line-up. So, it’s very difficult again to see how [Theo] Pourchaire becomes a part of that landscape.” Alex Albon is deserving of a drive in a faster car than Williams and with Audi set to become a works team, it might be a gamble but an attractive option.

The three drivers Straw names that Sauber could consider when Audi take over are very interesting. There has already been talk that Ferrari are unsure about retaining Carlos Sainz past this season. He would be a real coup considering he was the only driver that managed to prevent a clean sweep of wins for Red Bull in 2023.

‘Eyeing three current F1 drivers’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/sau...eover-in-2026/

Hulkenberg demands ‘better solutions’ from Haas for F1 2024.
    Nico Hulkenberg feels it is incumbent upon Haas to deliver “better solutions” for the 2024 F1 season following a wretched year for the team.
    Friday 8th December, 2023 - 6:22pm
    By Ian Parkes
    Speedcafe

Haas finished 10th and last in the constructors’ championship for the second time in three years as a reasonable start to the campaign tailed off into a miserable season.

“We just need to pick ourselves up and do a better job. We need to work hard because we want to do better. I want us to do better ultimately, and I think everyone in the team wants to do better, so we just have to try and come up with better solutions.” Nico Hulkenberg

‘Better solutions’;

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/12/08...tions-f1-2024/

Hulkenberg: Haas were flattered by F1 rivals’ initial issues
    12:07 Sat, 09 Dec 2023.
    by Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Nico Hulkenberg believes the initial problems rival teams encountered throughout the early stages of the 2023 Formula 1 season flattered the performance of Haas’ VF-23 car. Haas opened the season relatively promisingly with a total of 11 points from the first five rounds, including a seventh-place finish for Hulkenberg in the Australian GP.

Reflecting on the 2023 season, Hulkenberg said: “Obviously, it was a process, and signs were there early in the season. But we got away with it early in the season because other people also were struggling more. “And then once they cleaned up and then brought some real developments, that’s when we really started to pay the penalty.”

‘Flattered by F1 rivals’ initial issues’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...nitial-issues/

The team which ‘went to hell quick’ after ‘no juice left’ in F1 2023 concept
    03 Dec 2023 2:00 PM
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Haas team boss Guenther Steiner admitted they “went to hell quick” in F1 2023 as a brick wall was hit in the wind tunnel, prompting their concept change. Haas started the ground effect era strong in 2022, but since then such heights have been hard to hit as the team slumped to last in the F1 2023 Constructors’ Championship standings.

The call had long since been made though to go down a different concept route, Haas introducing a B-Spec challenger for the United States Grand Prix to gather crucial data and learnings for this new direction heading into F1 2024.

Put to him that F1 2023 was the “season from hell” for Haas, Steiner told Channel 4: “Yeah, or close to hell. Beginning of the year was not too bad, but then we went to hell pretty quick. We started off and I was confident that we can keep on making improvements, but we didn’t find any performance in the car. We went to the wind tunnel and couldn’t find anything.”

“Went to hell quick”, “Couldn’t find anything”;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/haas-w...flawed-concept

Why Alfa Romeo failed to agree F1 sponsorship deal with Haas
    14:31 Thu, 07 Dec 2023.
    by Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Alfa Romeo CEO Jean-Philippe Imparato has revealed that sponsorship talks with the Haas Formula 1 team broke down as it didn’t want to be another “sticker”.

“We weren’t interested in aiming to do a copy/paste operation in the style of the one done with Sauber,” Imparato told Autosport. “It would have led us to become one of those who put stickers on bodywork. It would no longer have been new and we wouldn’t have been part of a story.”

“We started looking at something else, quickly reaching a conclusion. Alfa Romeo has nothing to do with the world of rallying, the Stellantis group already has two brands involved in Formula E, and so the focus has shifted to the WEC, a world in which Alfa Romeo has lived in the past wonderful experiences.”

‘Didn’t want to be another “sticker”!’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...eal-with-haas/

Steiner in the dark about CBS TV show
    Sunday 3rd December, 2023 - 6:25pm
    By Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

American broadcasting network CBS is reportedly developing a new television series with Guenther Steiner an executive producer. The news broke on Deadline, a Hollywood-centric outlet, which claimed the project is in its early stages.

“I spoke with CBS but there is nothing – I’m just the producer, if there is something,” Steiner said. “In the moment, I spoke with them months ago, what was done, but nothing in the moment. I think there is no writer, nothing. I think they try to do something, but nothing is happening in the moment right now.”

Along with being in the dark on where the project is up to, Steiner also has little knowledge of the show’s premise. “I don’t know. The writer makes the concept,” he explained. “You know [I’m] just a producer, you get the proposed concept and then you go from there. I don’t know,” he added when asked if the show would be based on him.

‘CBS TV show’;

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/12/03...t-cbs-tv-show/

Christian Horner responds to what Max Verstappen can do better in 2024 after ‘incredible’ year.
    “Well, very little. I mean certainly, there were three races where he could have been better but that was beyond his control.” Christian Horner.
    Sun 10 December 2023 07:30
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner has responded to a question on what Max Verstappen can do better in 2024. Horner was appearing as a guest on the Sky Sports F1 Podcast after a record-breaking campaign for his team and number one driver. At the end of the pre-season test in Bahrain this year, the majority of the teams on the grid would have recognised that they suddenly had a problem. Asked what Verstappen could do better next year, Horner said:

“Well, very little. I mean certainly, there were three races where he could have been better but that was beyond his control. So, I mean what an unbelievable year he’s had, he’s just been absolutely incredible so he’s impossible to fault the season that he’s had. Keep doing what you’re doing!” Although Verstappen’s third world title will be remembered for how simply it looked from the outside, that wasn’t always the case. Verstappen admitted that his battle for pole position in Monaco left him ‘shaking’, and there were moments that left him annoyed.

As Horner suggests, the only thing Verstappen can do better in 2024 is win the three races that he missed out on this year. He’s very unlikely to do that given Red Bull have seemingly maximised the pace of their car under the current regulations and their nearest rivals should theoretically close the gap over the winter. But, if there’s any driver on the grid who looks capable of dominating the sport right now, it’s Verstappen.

VERSTAPPEN PREDICTS ‘CLOSER’ 2024 AND CALL FOR RED BULL TO BE ‘REALISTIC’
    The Dutch driver won all but three races in 2023, the most dominant season in the sports history
    December 9, 2023
    Sam Jones
    FormulaNerds

Max Verstappen has predicted a ‘closer’ 2024 season as he admits that Red Bull ‘can’t do much better’ than what they achieved in 2023. The Milton Keynes based teams had one of the most dominant seasons ever seen in Formula 1, winning all but one race as a team.

Verstappen was at the heart of that success, with his 19 race victories helping Red Bull dominate both the drivers and constructors championships. With the success of the RB19, the pressure is on in the team to make sure the RB20 delivers just as much success.

‘CLOSER 2024’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/ve...-be-realistic/

Verstappen: ‘If I only win 10 races in 2024 that’s fine’
    Saturday 9th December, 2023 - 12:30pm
    By Ian Parkes
    Speedcafe

Max Verstappen will have no qualms if he wins just 10 grands prix in 2024 providing he is in the thick of another F1 title fight. Notably, Verstappen set a new mark with the number of races won in a season (19); wins to races percentage (86.36%), beating Alberto Ascari’s 71-year mark; consecutive number of wins (10), and most laps led (1003).

“Realistically, it can’t be much better than what we have achieved,” said Verstappen, reflecting on a remarkable season at the FIA’s prize-giving gala in Baku. It’s not always about trying to win 20 races, it’s also about trying to find improvements within yourself, within the car. If that means next year we have improved the car, and we can fight for the championship again, but if you only win 10 races, that’s also fine.

‘If I only win 10 races…’;

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/12/09...024-f1-seaosn/

Verstappen expecting closer title fight in 2024
    09/12/2023 at 08:21
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

Max Verstappen says that competition will inevitably be a lot tighter in 2024, and that Red Bull can't expect to dominate in anything like the same way they did this year. Verstappen won 19 of the 22 races the just-completed season including a record run of ten back-to-back wins, an 86 per cent win ratio, with two of the remaining victories going to his team mate Sergio Perez.

The only race not to be won by Red Bull all year was Singapore, where Ferrari's Carlos Sainz emerged triumphant ahead of Lando Norris and Lewis Hamilton, when Verstappen was only fifth. Red Bull duly won the constructors championship in Japan, while Verstappen confirmed his third world championship in Qatar with six races (including the Qatar GP itself) still to go.

‘Closer title fight’;

https://f1i.com/news/496129-verstapp...t-in-2024.html

Verstappen gives Red Bull 'weakness' he wants improved for 2024
    11 December 5:00AM
    Author Rory Mitchell
    RacingNews365

The Dutchman pin-points the main area of weakness with the RB19 that he would like to see addressed for their 2024 challenger. When asked if he thinks there are any weaknesses in the RB19, which is now one of the most successful F1 cars of all time, Verstappen told media, including RacingNews365: "We know our weaknesses in the car. That's what we'll try to work on plus, of course, trying to make our strengths even stronger.”

Verstappen believes the low speed corners is not one of their strong suits in the RB19, with bumps exacerbating the issue when they visit street circuits. "Look at our race weekend in Singapore. In general, on street circuits, I think we are a bit struggling a bit more like in Vegas also," said Verstappen. "Low speed is definitely not our strongest point in the car; bumps, curbs as well. So that's definitely a big area where we can improve."

‘Make our strengths even stronger’;

https://racingnews365.com/verstappen...roved-for-2024

Ferrari: Verstappen will make more mistakes if put under pressure in 2024
    10:54 Tue, 05 Dec 2023.
    Hamilton Lyndon-Griffiths
    Read Motorsport

Max Verstappen will be more prone to making on-track errors if he is put under pressure in the Formula 1 title battle next year, says Ferrari team boss Fred Vasseur. “I’m not sure anyone has a doubt about this – he had a mega season,” Vasseur said, as quoted by RaceFans. “He was fighting with Checo [Perez] the first two or three events, but then he was on another planet.”

“Clearly, he didn’t make a mistake the whole season. I think even when he struggled in qualifying – I think in Jeddah – it was due to an issue. And then he was always there, always making good starts with no contact – the only one [when he did] was Vegas.”

“Other than the last two or three events – or Carlos in Singapore – is where he started to do some mistakes or that Red Bull made some mistakes in terms of set-up. We were just too far away to put this kind of pressure on him.”

‘Max Verstappen, was on another planet’;

https://readmotorsport.com/2023/12/0...ssure-in-2024/

Max Verstappen snaps up rival’s performance coach ahead of F1 2024 season
    28 Nov 2023 11:00 AM
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

Max Verstappen is reportedly due to begin working with Rupert Manwaring as his performance coach next season, after eight years alongside Carlos Sainz.

A report from Dutch media emerged on Monday claiming that Verstappen’s current performance coach, Bradley Scanes, will be leaving his role at the end of the season, and his replacement has now been reported by RACER’s Chris Medland from Abu Dhabi.

The reigning three-time World Champion has acted fast to find a replacement, with the role of performance coach critical in how a driver performs race by race. Manwaring has been by Sainz’s side for the vast majority of his Formula 1 career, having moved up to the top tier alongside Verstappen at Toro Rosso back in 2015.

‘Snaps up rival’s performance coach’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ve...f1-2024-season

Red Bull admit misunderstanding Sergio Perez needs for 2023 F1 car.
    Red Bull’s technical director said the team may have not got the best out of Perez in 2023.
    December 2, 2023
    By Brandon Sutton
    Total Motorsport

Red Bull’s technical director, Pierre Wache, has said that in their pursuit of developing a faster car the team possibly misunderstood what Sergio Perez needed to be at his best in the 2023 Formula 1 season.

“A fast car is a car that allows the driver to perform at his best,” Wache said to Formule 1. “We failed in that sense because only one driver, Max Verstappen in this case, was able to handle it well.

“That’s Max’s talent, that he knew how to use the car well throughout the season and in different conditions. On the other hand, it is possible that we, in turn, have not understood well what Checo [Perez] needs to take advantage of the RB19‘s potential.”

‘Misunderstanding’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...eeds-2023-car/

Helmut Marko leaps to defence of ‘top driver’ Sergio Perez in ‘badmouthed’ claim
    02 Dec 2023 5:00 PM
    Thomas Maher
    PlanetF1.com

Helmut Marko believes Sergio Perez would be spoken about in different terms if it wasn’t for his teammate’s abilities. Marko said he believes it a shame that Red Bull founder Dietrich Mateschitz, who died in late 2022, was not around to see the incredible performances of Red Bull and Verstappen.

“There were many wonderful victories and also world championship titles,” Marko said. “But it’s a shame that he can no longer experience this performance from the team and especially from Max. Something like this year is unique. Who knows if that will be possible again?”

“But the crucial point for this dominance, and more and more people are slowly realizing this, is the Max Verstappen factor. Sergio Perez has been talked down to, but he is a top driver. He just has the misfortune of having a once-in-a-century talent as a team-mate.”

‘Helmut Marko leaps to defence of ‘top driver’ Sergio Perez’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut...rez-misfortune

Sergio Perez left certain "something's going on" as Red Bull F1 future under threat
    Sergio Perez has a Red Bull F1 contract until the end of 2024 but the team will be assessing its options with Daniel Ricciardo, Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz tipped as replacements
    20:49 Mon, 04 Dec 2023.
    By Daniel Moxon Senior F1 Writer
    The Mirror

Sergio Perez admitted Formula 1 was "no longer fun" at the height of his struggles this season. "It was such a bad weekend that I really felt like, 'I cannot be this bad, there's something that's going on'. When you have these back-to-back races, I feel like sometimes there is not enough time to really go through it all. So, I felt like we really had to take a bit of time to make sure that we understood which way we were going.”

"Obviously, we had a deficit within the car set-up that we were playing around [with] weekend by weekend and we were just not able to progress through it. But once we managed to get on top of that, we understood a lot of things that we were trying to compensate for. And that just basically meant that we were not just not doing things right. I think that has been really, really good on our side.”

“I mean, it was bad that it happened but in a way, it was really good because it really strengthened our team quite a lot. I was having some weekends that were so difficult that they were not fun. I'm here because I still love what I'm doing and I'm here because I still have a lot of fun, a lot of enjoyment. And that was my main focus, that we really need things to turn them around. I had some really difficult times in a few months, let's put it that way."

“I cannot be this bad”;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...-2024-31597327

‘I cannot be this bad’ – Sergio Perez’s rally cry in F1 2023 struggles
    05 Dec 2023 12:00 PM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

At the end of a season marred with disappointment, Sergio Perez says Qatar was the low point of the campaign that had him questioning “I cannot be this bad” a driver. Despite being Max Verstappen’s nearest, and only, challenger in the early part of the 2023 championship, Perez’s campaign fell apart in the midst of a qualifying slump that destroyed his confidence in himself and the RB19.

But seeming to bounce back in Hungary, in part with the help of a sports psychologist, he hit a second slump in Japan when he retired after crashing into Lewis Hamilton and followed that up with a P10 in Qatar. That latter weekend he started the race from the pit lane following a crash in the Sprint and could only recover to 10th place despite being in an RB19 that in the hands of Max Verstappen won the race. That was an awakening if you will for Perez.

‘Sergio Perez’s rally cry’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/i-cann...rally-cry-2023

Perez pinpoints ‘really deep’ Qatar debrief as 2023 turning point
    11th Dec 2023, 14:39
    by Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Sergio Perez has pinpointed how a “really deep” analysis back at Red Bull’s factory after the Qatar Grand Prix provided the main turning point of his 2023 Formula 1 campaign. “I had a really deep one in Qatar where I went back to the factory for like a week and went through it very much indeed with all the engineers,” he divulged in Abu Dhabi.

“And we understood a lot of things that we were doing to compensate the weaknesses that we had and we were probably taking the wrong approach with the car and trying to compensate it too much with car set up and ultimately just getting lost weekend in weekend out.”

‘Really deep Qatar debrief’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...turning-point/

‘He knows it’s a big year’ – Horner picks out what Perez needs to improve on for 2024
    11 December 2023
    Formula One - Official Site

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner has made clear that Sergio Perez’s main target for the 2024 season will be to “sort his Saturdays out” and avoid the comeback drives he was frequently forced to deliver this year. Perez started the campaign in fine form with two pole positions and two race wins across the opening five races, applying some early pressure to team mate Max Verstappen, but the Mexican’s challenge faded thereafter.

Speaking to Sky Sports at the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Horner commented that while he has been pleased with Perez’s race-day efforts, his driver often made life more difficult for himself with sub-par qualifying performances. “I think the last few races he’s had a bit of a reset,” Horner said.

“His pace, when you look at the analysis through [the Abu Dhabi] weekend, again was very, very strong. He’s just got to sort his Saturdays out. His race pace is there, his race craft is fantastic, he’s probably overtaken more cars than anybody this year, but we just need him to be starting in the first four rather than ninth or 10th, whatever his average has been over the last few races.”

“He knows it’s a big year”;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...lcFFH8bBX.html

Sergio Perez has "serious work" to save Red Bull career as four replacements lie in wait
    Red Bull will not be short of options of the F1 champions decide to replace struggling star Sergio Perez when his contract expires at the end of the 2024 season
    07:07 Tue, 05 Dec 2023.
    By Daniel Moxon Senior F1 Writer
    The Mirror

Red Bull ambassador David Coulthard thinks Sergio Perez has a lot to prove if he is to save his career with the team. Coulthard, a 13-time F1 race winner, thinks improvements will be needed if Perez is to save his Red Bull career. "Checo wasn't as far away from this team-mate as some but, unfortunately for him of course, when Max was winning and he's not finishing second, it really puts a very difficult spotlight on him," the Scot said on his Formula For Success podcast.

"He's survived it, but he's definitely going to, in my opinion, have to do some serious work over the winter to fully understand or accept the differences between him and Max. At the beginning of the year, he was talking about the world championship battles and he was kind of getting his shoulders and his chest out.”

"I suspect part of that was his management team who are not only there to see him try and win Grand Prix but to sell him commercially. So, if the message is this guy's a world champion in waiting, then that helps the negotiations. I think now they probably need to take a slightly different view which is he is the best partner to a Max, a phenomenon and then you can knuckle down."

"Serious work";

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...-bull-31597998

Hamilton has 'full faith' in 2024 Mercedes after impressive tests.
    The seven-time World Champion recently visited their factory in Brackley and Brixworth to check in on their progress for the 2024 season.
    11 December 7:40AM
    Author Rory Mitchell
    RacingNews365

Lewis Hamilton has "full faith" that Mercedes can produce a competitive car for 2024, after seeing it in the wind tunnel in a recent factory visit. The seven-time World Champion visited the factory in the days prior to accepting the trophy for third place in the Drivers' Championship at the FIA Prize Giving Gala in Baku, Azerbaijan.

He used his visit to check on the progress of the W15, although he admitted that it would be tough to make any early judgements on where the team is at with the new car. "I'm not an engineer or a designer. So it's not easy. It's always an exciting time of the year because I have seen the current car in the wind tunnel," Hamilton told media, including RacingNews365.

"I always go by the wind tunnel when I go to the factory to see it evolving in whichever direction it ends up going." Team Principal Toto Wolff claimed that Mercedes will "leave no stone unturned" with their 2024 challenger, as they look to improve their fortunes following a winless year.

'Full faith';

https://racingnews365.com/hamilton-h...in-wind-tunnel

Wolff: Mercedes must bring Hamilton ‘alive’ with title-contending F1 car
    07:32 Sat, 09 Dec 2023.
    by Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff has ramped up the pressure on his team by insisting that it must deliver a title-contending car that can bring Lewis Hamilton “alive”. Wolff underlines that he’s certain Hamilton, who re-signed with Mercedes through 2025, can battle for the title again with the right machinery underneath him.

“Somebody told me a funny sentence about a long-term perspective: we have a board in our factory that shows all the Constructors’ World Championships since 1958 and the table goes until 2050 and we have the logos and badges of the different years,” Wolff added. “There is 27 open with empty badges, and I would like to look back in 20 years and say there are many more Mercedes stars.”

‘Must bring Hamilton ALIVE’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...ending-f1-car/

Hamilton gives positive first impressions of 2024 Mercedes car
    2023 was Mercedes' first winless F1 season in over a decade, when Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg were at the team
    December 10, 2023
    By Adam Dickinson
    Total Motorsport

Lewis Hamilton insists he’s been in a positive mood after visiting Mercedes‘ factories and seeing the latest iteration of the W15, a car he hopes will propel the team back to race victories and a championship fight. “The mood is very positive,” Hamilton told the media. “I think all the members in the team are incredibly grateful to have got second constructors, given the challenges that we face this season.”

“It’s always quite emotional, I’ve been with the team for such a long time,” Hamilton added. “But every time you go back to the Brixworth, into Brackley you’re reminded of just how big a team is pushing you forward from behind.”

“And you see every individual, some people that are new to the team, that have joined whilst I’ve been here, and some that have been here, but way before and also some that I’ve worked on my engine since my first Grand Prix in Formula 1.”

‘Pushing you forward from behind’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...-mercedes-car/

From ‘concern’ to ‘excitement’, Lewis Hamilton talks Mercedes W15’s evolution
    09 Dec 2023 1:30 PM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Having voiced his “concern” about Red Bull’s advantage as the curtain fell on 2023 in Abu Dhabi, Lewis Hamilton is sounding a great deal more positive about Mercedes’ chances after seeing the W15 in the wind tunnel.

The good news for Hill, and anyone else hoping for a proper title fight next season, is today Hamilton is feeling a lot more positive about Mercedes’ chances. Seeking to break his winless streak next season, Hamilton told Friday evening’s FIA gala that he’s “excited” about what he has seen in the Mercedes wind tunnel. He, however, didn’t reveal any details about the data.

‘Concern’ to ‘Excitement’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-...-w15-evolution

Hamilton issues STARK Verstappen warning for 2024
    Saturday 9 December 2023 22:57
    Shay Rogers
    GPFans

Lewis Hamilton has reminded Red Bull that Mercedes are out to beat them in 2024 following a tricky campaign.

Speaking at the FIA’s prize gala, Hamilton reserved plenty of praise for Verstappen before sending a reminder that the German manufacturer is working round the clock to close up to Red Bull. “For everyone, it has been a very, very long season and very much looking forward to the winter break,” he said.

“We’re working very, very hard on making sure we come back strong next year, I must say a big congratulations to Red Bull, Verstappen and Checo, they’ve done an incredible job this year. Max Verstappen was faultless. Max and all of his team really raised the bar and we have a lot of work to close that gap, but I truly do believe that we can close that gap.”

‘Big congratulations to Red Bull, Verstappen and Checo’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...appen-f1-2024/

Hamilton sends F1 rivals 'nervous' Aston Martin warning
    Saturday 9 December 2023 19:57
    Sam Cook
    GPFans

Lewis Hamilton has explained how Aston Martin's performance in the 2023 season will act as a guide for what Mercedes should be doing in order to catch Red Bull in 2024. Hamilton has explained how Mercedes are going to go about attempting to bridge the gap in 2024, suggesting that Aston Martin may find it hard to keep up their performance levels.

“The thing is, with the timeline you have, and the limited resources you have, you can’t just throw it away and start from scratch," he said in comments reported by Motorsport.com. "You can’t copy a car and start from that. Look at the Astons. They tried to copy a car and it wasn’t the same. It is not as easy as that. You have to try and take the good parts and through trial and error just try to add other parts.”

“But you can imagine they are also nervous of making too big a change and it being the wrong one. We need to be consistently week on week adding performance, and we have higher targets than ever before because we have a massive gap to catch. That makes it really tricky.”

‘2023 season will act as a guide for what Mercedes should be doing in order to catch Red Bull in 2024’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...hing-red-bull/

Lewis Hamilton comment towards Max Verstappen at F1 gala shows his true colours
    Formula 1 fans have been commending Lewis Hamilton after the seven-time world champion lavish Max Verstappen with praise at the FIA Prize Giving gala, in spite of their heated rivalry
    12:04 Sat, 09 Dec 2023.
    BY HARRY BRENT SPORTS WRITER
    Daily Star

Lewis Hamilton showed a touch of class by praising rival Max Verstappen during his speech at the FIA Prize Giving gala. The British driver finished a distant third behind Red Bull duo Verstappen and Sergio Perez, who claimed victory in all but one race across the 2023 season. Verstappen set a new record for Grand Prix wins to seal his third-successive F1 title, moving him closer to Hamilton's joint record of seven.

But the Mercedes star didn't let rivalry spoil his speech. As he took to the stage to collect his third-place trophy, Hamilton said Verstappen was "faultless" over the season and claimed the Dutchman had "raised the bar" with his performances.

Fans on social media branded the 38-year-old "a class act". One X user wrote: "Humble even in defeat. You can't hate Lewis man. This guy is such a class act." Another wrote: "Great speech and fair play to him for praise Max and Checo. That must not have been easy."

‘Big congratulations to Red Bull, Verstappen and Checo - they've done an incredible job this year’;

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f1...peech-31635393