Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Sergio Perez brutally honest about Max Verstappen challenge with F1 career on the line.
    Sergio Perez heads into the 2024 F1 season with less than a year left on his Red Bull contract and fighting for his right to continue challenging Max Verstappen as his team-mate.
    07:10 Thu, 25 Jan2024.
    By Daniel Moxon Senior F1 Writer
    The Mirror

Sergio Perez has admitted he "regressed" during a challenging 2023 season and knows what he needs to do this year to keep his Red Bull seat. "I want to be able to achieve regularity, to build momentum," he said. "I think what we missed this year is progression. We started the year very high, tied with Max, but we were not able to progress throughout the season. We have sometimes even regressed.”

"So, I think that will be my main priority - to be able to progress throughout the season, whatever my starting point. It is important that, weekend after weekend, we continue to evolve and improve."

Perez ended the season in second place in the drivers' championship. It marked the first time Red Bull have ever had both their drivers finish in the top two places and, on the face of it, it was probably the best result he could have hoped for.

‘Sergio Perez brutally honest’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...appen-31961643

The critical issues Perez must solve to secure Red Bull future
    26 January 8:00PM
    Author Pepijn van der Hulst
    RacingNews365

Expectations: No one at Red Bull or otherwise will be expecting Perez to defeat Verstappen from weekend to weekend in order to keep his seat alongside the Dutchman past 2024, yet with the gap so large on a consistent basis, there must be a more comparable performance. Qualifying was an Achilles heel last season was seemingly qualifying, where he failed to reach Q3 on numerous occasions. Sometimes this was not his fault, but crash after crash and mistake after mistake meant some of the failures were inexcusable.

Pace in the race was often very competitive with those at the front of the grid, yet his lowly grid positions often left him fighting with one arm tied behind his back. It felt as though he was too eager to be faster than Verstappen at points and, as such, Perez just fell victim to overdriving. Red Bull Motorsport Advisor Helmut Marko often mutters 'three-tenths' when it comes to qualifying: If Perez is able to qualify within that margin to Verstappen, there is nothing to be concerned about.

The Mexican must quietly accept the position of second driver as well. That's incredibly difficult, though it would almost certainly depressurise his situation, taking a weight off his shoulders and allowing him to drive freely. Comparisons rarely line up perfectly but perhaps it would pay off for Perez to give Nico Rosberg a call. The German - Bottas' predecessor at Mercedes - struggled alongside Hamilton from 2013 to 2016 and still managed to grab a world title. Perez is not expected to play many mental games with Verstappen, but Rosberg's flexibility is a potential example to follow.

‘The critical issues’;

https://racingnews365.com/how-perez-...l-seat-in-2024

Lando Norris may have saved Sergio Perez's Red Bull career with new McLaren contract
    McLaren announced on Friday that Lando Norris has signed a contract extension with the team, effectively ending F1 champions Red Bull's chances of poaching the Brit this year
    16:11 Fri, 26 Jan 2024
    By Daniel Moxon Senior F1 Writer
    The Mirror

News of a new contract for Lando Norris is massive for two of the biggest Formula 1 teams. Firstly, it is massive for the future of McLaren. It is a team that has been on the up for several years now, but which has yet to break through as a bona fide title contender.

Secondly, it is just as significant for Red Bull, the team with which the Brit has been heavily linked for years. And with good reason - the F1 champions have been trying to sign him for years and Norris was at the top of the list for potential Sergio Perez replacements this year.

Horner and adviser Helmut Marko, a key decision-maker when it comes to drivers, must be sure that any driver with whom they replace Perez will fare better in his place. Norris was pretty much a guarantee of that - now that he's off the table for 2025, Perez's odds of winning a new deal himself have surely shortened.

‘May have saved Sergio Perez's Red Bull career’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...perez-31976275

Lando Norris explains why no top driver wants to be Max Verstappen's team-mate
    Lando Norris ended speculation of a move to Red Bull by signing a multi-year McLaren contract extension.
    22:43, Sat, Jan 27, 2024
    By Sam Smith
    Daily Express

Lando Norris has explained why driving alongside Max Verstappen at Red Bull is a poisoned chalice for any top driver. Norris, who has been strongly linked with a move to join the reigning world champion, believes Red Bull are set up to allow Verstappen to succeed. The 24-year-old has explained why drivers might be persuaded against making that move, pointing out that they would be playing second-fiddle to the world’s best driver.

Asked by Sky Sports if he would be concerned about driving alongside the three-time world champion, Norris said: “It’s a longer discussion than saying that. Is Max Verstappen the best driver in Formula One history? Absolutely yes, I think he’s proved that well enough. He’s in a team that he’s very comfortable in. Everything is built up around him. For anyone - even for the Max of a few years ago - to go up against the Max of now, it’s extremely difficult.”

“I don’t think it’s a question of, ‘Are you scared [to drive alongside Verstappen]?’ I don’t think I’ll ever be scared of going against anyone. Even if you’re in a team, are you in a position to challenge someone straight away? Are you comfortable doing that? I think it’s a no for any driver. It takes time to adapt and it takes time to get things into place. If you want to go against the best driver in the world, it’s not the best thing to do. It’s not a smart move to do.”

‘Playing second-fiddle to the world’s best driver’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...-Verstappen-F1

Perez in Red Bull F1 'break' tease
    Friday 26 January 2024 12:57
    Sam Cook
    GPFans

A supposed new cap for Red Bull's Sergio Perez has been leaked on X, with the Mexican now sponsored by KitKat, perhaps suggesting he may need to 'have a break'. Perez's KitKat hat: However, the leaking of Perez's new cap may suggest a slightly different design to the team's now ever-present livery, with light blue stripes making up part of the Mexican's new outfit.

La gorra 2024 de Sergio Pérez...

Sin palabras! pic.twitter.com/bPJhosde4R
    — ��【 Alerta F1 】�� (@AlertaF1) January 25, 2024

KitKat's main slogan for a number of years now has been 'Have a break, have a KitKat', with a large number of hilarious advertising campaigns being born from that. So, could Perez's proposed new cap mean anything? Only time will tell.

‘KitKat’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...p-leaked-2024/

Perez singles out top priority for 2024 F1 season

26/01/2024 at 08:23
    Michael Delaney
    F1i.com

Sergio Perez has made it clear that consistency and progress “weekend after weekend’ are his top priorities for the 2024 Formula 1 season. Consistency and improvement throughout his campaign, and eradicating any lingering vulnerabilities are Perez’s prime objectives for 2024.

“I want to be able to achieve regularity, to build momentum,” he told French weekly AutoHebdo. “I think what we missed this year is progression. So I think that will be my main priority: to be able to progress throughout the season, whatever my starting point. It is important that, weekend after weekend, we continue to evolve and improve.”

‘Consistency and progress weekend after weekend’;

https://f1i.com/news/498360-perez-si...f1-season.html

'I’m just trying to stay on top', insists wary Verstappen.
    “When I won my first title, I said everything that comes next is a bonus," he pointed out. "Because realistically, in F1 I’ve achieved everything that I wanted to achieve.”
    28/01/2024 at 08:33
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

Max Verstappen might have won three Formula 1 world championships in a row, and be hot favourite to take at last two more in quick succession, but he's already downplaying talk that he could be set to break the all-time record.

With no more rules changes due until 2026, Verstappen could easily be within touching distance of the current record by then. But the 26-year-old told the Times newspaper that it all came down to luck.

“If it happens, it happens," he shrugged. “But you need to be lucky to be in a great car for a longer period of time. You’re very dependent on the material you have.”

‘Just trying to stay on top';

https://f1i.com/news/498451-im-just-...erstappen.html

The many milestones Max Verstappen can reach in F1 2024 season
    28 Jan 2024 8:30 AM
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

You would be hard-pressed to find anyone who does not suspect Max Verstappen is in for more success this season but what milestones can he reach?200 Grand Prix starts: Let’s start with one that is almost guaranteed to happen: for the Dutchman to hit the 200 Grands Prix mark.

More wins than any other Red Bull driver: Verstappen is not there to make up the numbers either. In his 185 races so far, he has picked up 54 wins and is just six wins shy of having won more as a Red Bull driver than any other combined.
    3,000 laps led: Not to sound too Drive to Survive but to win you must be at the front and Verstappen has spent plenty of time doing that. To date, he has led a Grand Prix for 2,858 laps which is the fifth most in F1 history but he could rise further up that table.
    100 podiums: Another easy milestone for Verstappen to tick off should be 100 podiums with the Dutchman just two short as it stands.

Wins with same constructor: Hamilton and Mercedes top the list but the seven-time World Champion’s early career at McLaren means he is not out of reach for Verstappen. He is on 82 to Verstappen’s 54 but the latter could overtake the 72 Ferrari wins of Schumacher this season.
    Consecutive victories: This is one already under Verstappen’s belt but given the performances of him and the team in 2023, there is every chance he betters even himself in 2024.
    Four World Championships: But of course, the one metric Verstappen cares about is World titles. He is currently on three but another would put him amongst some very esteemed company.

‘Milestones’;

https://www.planetf1.com/features/ma...f1-2024-season

Is F1 too easy for Verstappen? - Pundit insists answer is ‘YES’
    Sunday 28 January 2024 16:57
    Tyler Rowlinson
    GPFans

F1 journalist and former team manager Peter Windsor has argued that it is too easy for Max Verstappen due to corners at street circuits not being ‘challenging enough.’

Windsor discussed Verstappen’s comments on his official YouTube channel and believes that his views may have been taken the wrong way. "Has he actually said he doesn't like street circuits, or has he said he doesn't like the modern version of street circuits?," he said.

Windsor went on to say that he thinks many corners on such street circuits are not ‘challenging enough’. “Everybody's a late breaker these days,” he continued. “Everybody can basically get on the power quite early and hold a slide. And the standard of driving therefore, given all the telemetry and all the information you have before you can get in the car, is pretty high if you've got good balance, eyesight, rhythm and all the other things you need.”

‘Is F1 too easy for Verstappen?’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...ppen-red-bull/

Ominous Red Bull warning given as team look to build on RB19 success
    28 Jan 2024 7:45 AM
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

Former F1 driver Christijan Albers believes Red Bull have scope to build on the already “supreme” base of the RB19, and should be the team to beat in 2024. Because of Red Bull’s early performance in 2023, former F1 driver Albers believes the quality of the RB19 will act as the perfect springboard for the team’s new car. “Red Bull has a much better base and will build on that towards 2024,” Albers wrote in Dutch publication De Telegraaf.

“That car was supreme in the medium and fast corners, and on the straights. Really clearly the best race car rather than the best qualifying car, although Verstappen put it on pole often enough. “But many other cars, like the Ferrari, were often better on Saturday than on Sunday. While at Red Bull they were much more focused on the long runs and managing the tyres. Hence the supremacy on Sunday, especially when combined with Verstappen.”

‘Ominous Red Bull warning’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/christ...24-declaration

Verstappen insider in EMBARRASSING admission about F1 champion
    Saturday 27 January 2024 11:57
    Sam Cook
    GPFans

Max Verstappen's former trainer Bradley Scanes has revealed that he 'didn't really know anything' about Formula 1 before he started his job with the Dutchman, and didn't even know who Verstappen was. Scanes has recently departed his role alongside the three-time world champion due to the demanding travel schedule that is associated with being involved in the sport.

He had been Verstappen's trainer since 2019, overseeing all three of the dominant Dutchman's successes in F1. However, the Brit has now made an admission about how he first got the role with Verstappen, who went on to become a good friend during the pair's time together.

‘EMBARRASSING admission’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...ing-admission/

Think Max Verstappen’s F1 quit threats aren’t serious? Think again
    27 Jan 2024 9:15 AM
    Oliver Harden
    PlanetF1.com

Think Max Verstappen isn’t serious when he threatens to quit F1 within the next few years? Think again. It became a recurring theme over the course of his third successive title-winning season in 2023, Verstappen frequently – at almost every possible opportunity, it seemed – insisted that he would retire much sooner than most might think.

A frustration over the sport’s direction under Liberty Media – the ever-expanding calendar, the growing number of Sprint races, the inclination to choose show over substance – has been cited as the reason behind Verstappen’s willingness to walk away.

Yet, until quite recently, it was difficult to take all these threats – no longer how much he kept repeating them before, during and after grand prix weekends – particularly seriously. Why? Because whatever else would he do with his time?

‘F1 quit threats’;

https://www.planetf1.com/features/ma...f1-quit-threat

'Cost cap concerns could force Newey away from F1 with Red Bull'.
    According to German media, Red Bull will have to step in due to the budget cap and the hugely expensive Adrian Newey will have to shift his focus from F1 to another project in the medium term.
    27 January 11:45AM
    Author Jesse Janse
    Co-author Jake Nichol
    RacingNews365

In 2023, the FIA issued Technical Directive 45, aimed at combating the increasing use of senior technical figures in the applied divisions of teams, such as Red Bull Advanced Technologies or McLaren Applied Technologies. There were fears that teams were transferring personnel to the advanced technologies branches to gain further F1 knowledge, but outside of the cost cap, which would be a breach of the rules.

When it announced the cost cap findings for the 2022 season, the FIA noted that all teams had acted "in good faith" but nevertheless closed the loophole, meaning that any person who contributes to F1 operations is counted towards the cost cap. In the case of Newey in his role as Red Bull Chief Technical Officer, he is now spending much of his time focusing on the RB17 hypercar project with limited scope on F1.

However, as he still does contribute towards F1, his hefty salary is therefore included within the budget cap, causing a headache for Red Bull. AMUS has reported that the team are considering transferring Newey to the RB17 project full-time, thus getting his salary off the F1 books and freeing up space on the bottom line. However, should this happen, then Newey would be banned from working on the F1 machines.

‘Technical Directive 45’;

https://racingnews365.com/cost-cap-c...-with-red-bull

Adrian Newey’s Red Bull future questioned in F1 budget cap analysis
    27 Jan 2024 1:15 PM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Finding ways to balance the books in F1’s budget cap era, it is being reported Adrian Newey will “focus entirely” on Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar in order to “free up” one of the top-earner salary exemptions.

Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko hit back, saying: “Our opponents are saying that the underbody of the RB17 provides insights for the Formula 1 car, which is obviously complete nonsense.” The RB17 will be the first car fully produced by Red Bull, retailing at a cool $6.2 million for the hypercar.

Putting Newey on the hypercar project full-time means Red Bull can move another person onto the exception list. At a time when Red Bull are losing key personnel to other teams, Rob Marshall having joined McLaren, it would given them scope to hold onto the likes of Pierre Wache, said to be a Ferrari target.

‘F1 budget cap analysis’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/adrian...t-cap-analysis

Max Verstappen faces bitter blow as Red Bull weigh up 'banning Adrian Newey'
    Red Bull could ban Adrian Newey, which could hamper Max Verstappen in the future.
    13:30, Sat, Jan 27, 2024
    By Tom Parsons
    Daily and Sunday Express

F1 introduced a cost cap ahead of the 2021 season in an attempt to level the playing field, with teams permitted to spend £114million that year. In 2022, teams were given a spending limit of £110m and then had a maximum of £106m at their disposal last year.

According to Auto, Motor und Sport, Red Bull’s current plan is to transfer Newey to work entirely on the RB17 hypercar project in the medium term to get his salary off the F1 books and free up some space in their budget. That would allow one of the three high-earner jobs that sit outside of the budget cap to become available to someone else.

Newey is currently working partly in the Red Bull F1 team, but the rules say his salary must be fully accounted for if he plays any role at all in the sport. If he were to be transferred over to the RB17 project full-time, Newey would effectively be banned from working on the F1 machines.

‘Bitter blow’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...drian-Newey-F1

Newey may assume non-F1 Red Bull role in medium term
    JANUARY 26, 2024
    GrandPrix.com

Adrian Newey might be shuffled into a non-Formula 1 role at Red Bull Racing, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

Correspondent Michael Schmidt explains that the reason is because of the budget cap, as the team seeks a way to make the most of the budget cap rules.

The large teams continue to operate with 800 to 1000 employees because they don't want to lose good people to the competition, he said. They would rather put their high earners into other projects and only let them work part-time in Formula 1.

‘Non-F1 Red Bull role’;

https://www.grandprix.com/news/newey...dium-term.html

‘Adrian Newey unleashed’ – £5million RB17 hypercar release date revealed
    09 Jan 2024 12:00 PM
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

Red Bull’s first road car has been given a release date of 2024 as Christian Horner described it as “Adrian Newey unleashed.” The RB17 is a project that has been in the works for a number of years and has allowed legendary designer Newey to produce a car not constricted by F1 regulations. It will be the second road car designed by Newey, following the Aston Martin Valkyrie, but will be the first produced by Red Bull Advanced Technologies.

The RB17, given that name as Red Bull opted for the RB16B after regulation changes were delayed, has been confirmed as being released in 2024 by CEO Horner but is limited to a run of just 50 – with the majority of them already sold. Speaking to Autocar, Horner said that given the cost cap now in Formula 1, other areas of the business had to justify their existence, which is why the RB17 has been produced.

“[RBAT] has now existed for close to eight years and there’s an awful lot of knowledge that has been built up in that time. With the budget cap era [in F1], if you want to retain resources there have to be projects that can justify their existence. This is a perfect project utilising the skill sets that we have, so it will complement our Formula 1 activities rather than distract from them.”

‘Adrian Newey unleashed’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/adrian...4-release-date

Ford boss lifts lid on F1 meeting with Adrian Newey
    Saturday 20 January 2024 10:57
    Sam Cook
    GPFans

Ford CEO Jim Farley has rather bullishly claimed that Red Bull will still be at the 'very top of the podium' in 2026 due to their 'top notch' powertrain team. Farley has provided an optimistic view on how their 2026 plans are shaping up, knowing how much pressure is on his company to deliver for the Milton Keynes-based outfit.

“I had a chance to spend a lot of time with the team in Milton Keynes and with Adrian Newey," he revealed in Ford's 2024 season launch. “Even though [2026] sounds like a long way away, we have a lot of work to do on the powertrain, but I’m really happy with the progress. I wish I could tell you more, but I would say we’re on track.”

“We’ve got the best drivers, we’ve got the best technical support. We have the best of Ford and around the globe to support them. But the team, the powertrain team that they’re building in Milton Keynes, is absolutely top notch. We are going first class to the very top of the podium.”

'Very top of the podium in 2026 due to their 'top notch' powertrain team’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...ivals-warning/

Incredible puns and widespread confusion – how the F1 world reacted to Visa Cash App RB.
    “VCARB”, which sounds like some kind of supplement that keeps your poo solid.”
    25 Jan 2024 12:00 PM
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

Visa Cash App RB was officially added to the F1 grid yesterday and received plenty of backlash online. From journalists wondering what to call the new team to others worrying about the future of the sport, the new name was widely condemned in F1 circles.

Giedo van der Garde was the first former F1 driver to give his verdict and he believed it was simply not an “appropriate name for a Formula One team.” “I know I’ve just retired so I don’t wanna sound like “everything in the past used to be so much better”,” he tweeted. “But to my opinion “Visa Cash App RB” isn’t an appropriate name for a Formula One team.”

“VCARB”: Supplement that keeps your poo solid’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/how-f1...sa-cash-app-rb

‘Not appropriate’: Ricciardo’s team becomes laughing stock of F1 world after ‘ridiculous’ switch
    January 25th, 2024 7:20 am
    Daniel Nuttall with AFP from Fox Sports
    Fox Sports (Australia)

Edd Straw of The Race said it is “the worst team name in F1 history”, adding: “(it) is an embarrassment to Red Bull and Formula 1 as a whole.”

“Not only does it sound fatuous, but it also showcases an avaricious lack of imagination that can only be spirit-sapping for those working for the team and signal to the hundreds of millions watching that this is not a competitor to be taken seriously,” Straw wrote.

“The disconnected way the name, which the team has now confirmed, has gradually dribbled out also raises big questions about the strategy. It’s hard to imagine Dietrich Mateschitz allowing this to happen were he still around, which is telling in itself given Red Bull was built on its astonishing capacity for imaginative marketing strategies.”

“VCARB”: Laughing stock of F1 world’;

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...2b6dca40b6e483

Jenson Button’s hilarious reaction to Red Bull’s junior team rebranding
    28 Jan 2024 10:45 AM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Red Bull’s rebranding of their junior team to ‘Visa Cash App RB’ continues to perplex the world of motorsport with Jenson Button asking “what?” when told the full name. While former F1 driver Giedo van der Garde rued it “isn’t an appropriate name for a Formula One team”, F1 presenter Jennie Gow felt it “doesn’t exactly trip off the tongue”.

Fans weren’t quite as kind in their assessment as they dubbed it one of the “top 10 worst F1 team names in history” while others joked about the contactless jokes that would do the rounds when either Daniel Ricciardo or Yuki Tsunoda crashed.

‘Red Bull’s junior team rebranding’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/jenson...vcarb-reaction

Visa Cash App RB workers already not using new team name
    The team previously known as AlphaTauri are calling themselves V-CARB behind-the-scenes.
    26 January 2024
    by Nick Golding
    Formula1News

According to ESPN journalist Nate Saunders, those working for Visa Cash App are calling the team V-CARB. Whether this becomes a paddock and global trend remains to be seen. “Internally, the team is being referred to as V-CARB, which may well be a name which catches on for the season itself”

“VCARB”: Supplement that keeps your poo solid’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/visa-cash...new-team-name/

'Diabolical!' – Fans mock F1 team after they change name to Visa Cash App RB Formula One Team
    Published Jan 24, 2024, 1:02pm
    Callum McAvoy
    Metro.co.uk

The unwieldly and, frankly, ugly title has been quickly derided by F1 fans, especially after Alfa Romeo also changed their name for 2024 to the ridiculous Stake F1 Team Kick Sauber.

‘This genuinely has to be the most diabolical name change in sporting history. Imagine having to say “I’m Yuki Tsunoda and I drive for Visa Cash App RB Formula One Team”,’ @BushiAntz posted.

“VCARB”: 'Diabolical!';

https://metro.co.uk/2024/01/24/f1-fa...o=newsnow-feed

The Alpha Tauri F1 Team Appears To Have A Horrific New Name That Everybody Hates
    JANUARY 19, 2024 1:35 PM
    BY CLAY SAUERTIEG
    BroBible

Me saying goodbye to Yuki Tsunoda fandom because I cannot support a team with such an abysmal name https://t.co/iogmWLHLoK pic.twitter.com/ubkivo66td
    — srishti (@mvpbiid) January 18, 2024

Visa Cash app?
    There is no finesse in the name whatsoever.
    What happened to marketing and branding in this sport? This is what happens when you employ people who just read a textbook for 3 years and didn’t apply it anywhere before applying for the role – Nam https://t.co/zIwQX8NzUx
    — #PitstopFracas (@pitstopfracas) January 18, 2024

Mad how the sport is apparently on such a wave of success yet Sauber & Toro Rosso have had to sell their identities like this #F1 https://t.co/G3XKY4NXEN
    — Jake (@JakeThomasLong) January 18, 2024

‘Horrific New Name That Everybody Hates’;

https://brobible.com/sports/article/...ific-new-name/

Media questions Alpha Tauri's new team name
    JANUARY 25, 2024
    GrandPrix.com

Michel Milewski, a correspondent for the major German newspaper Bild, commented: “I'm sorry - what?!.” Ilari Savonen, of the Finnish broadcaster MTV, agreed that the new name is “horrible”, and even DPA news agency in Germany admitted it is “rather unusual”.

El Mundo Deportivo described Visa Cash App RB as a “shocking name”, while fellow Spanish sports newspaper Marca thinks it's the “ugliest name in F1 history”. “Goodbye Alpha Tauri”, said Daniele Sparisci, F1 correspondent for Corriere della Sera - a newspaper in Italy, where the Red Bull-owned team is based. “The new name of the Faenza team is a credit card”, he quipped.

Sky Deutschland headlined: “Formula 1 team gets a strange new name”… According to Tobias Gruner, writing for Auto Motor und Sport, Red Bull even had to take quite some time convincing F1 owner Liberty Media that the new name should be permitted. The German magazine phoned Red Bull's top consultant Dr Helmut Marko for his comment, and the 80-year-old admits the name is a little tongue twister.

‘Red Bull even had to take quite some time convincing F1 owner Liberty Media that the new name should be permitted’;

https://www.grandprix.com/news/media...team-name.html

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    After Leclerc's new long term contract with Ferrari, I wonder what would be the future of Carlos at Ferrari?
    Try starting a thread about it .
    You won't likely get any response but a "like" from fortitude .

He runs a couple of pretty talkative FGP teams , but never gives up any opinions on the news he posts .

Is Carlos Sainz the most-wanted unwanted driver on F1 grid?
    Sainz is not that support driver, at least he doesn’t want to be. His performances on the track, with his Singapore GP win billed by many a pundit as one of the most calculating and cutting wins in recent years, suggest he is more than just a support act.
    30 Jan 2024 6:44 AM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

TORO ROSSO: “Sainz is, without a doubt, a great driver. He was almost on par with Max in Toro Rosso,” Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko explained to Marca. “The bad thing for him is that he was unlucky to have Verstappen as a team-mate.”

RENAULT: Scoring 53 to 69 points to Nico Hulkenberg in 2018, their one full season together, Sainz by no means embarrassed himself but once again when a team had to make a choice he found himself coming off second best with Renault opting to retain Hulkenberg and bring then seven-time Grand Prix winner Daniel Ricciardo in as his new team-mate.

McLAREN: Signing with McLaren, Sainz then spent two years with the Woking team but as momentum swung toward teenage star Lando Norris, who was being hailed as the team’s future World Champion, he left Woking for Ferrari.
    FERRARI: Despite beating Leclerc in their first season together in the Drivers’ standings and running him close in both others, and being the only non-Red Bull driver to win a Grand Prix in 2023, it’s Sainz who still remarkably has a question mark hanging over his future.

‘Fourth team in less than a decade also suggests he’s not a number one that a team can build a title-tilt behind’;

https://www.planetf1.com/features/ca...nted-driver-f1

What is happening with Carlos Sainz?
    Carlos Sainz is still yet to be offered a new contract at Ferrari, unlike Charles Leclerc.
    27 January 2024
    by Nick Golding
    Formula1News

Extending Leclerc’s contract before the 2024 season gets underway was an essential piece of work by Ferrari, although it now raises questions over what’s happening with Carlos Sainz. Sainz’s future looks much more uncertain currently, with him reportedly having disagreed with the Italians.

The Spanish driver is believed to want a two-year contract extension which would take him to the end of 2026, and would see him enter the new power unit regulations as a Ferrari driver. However, the Maranello-based side are supposedly not wanting to give him more than a one-year extension.

‘What is happening with Carlos Sainz?’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/what-is-h...-carlos-sainz/

Sainz talks with Ferrari have reportedly reached a stalemate
    27/01/2024 at 10:42
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

Contract talks between Ferrari and Carlos Sainz have reportedly come to a standstill according to rumors in Italy. The Scuderia announced this week a multi-year extension of its partnership with Charles Leclerc, a deal that should see the Monegasque carry the Italian outfit’s colors until at least the end of 2027.

Sainz has frequently expressed his desire to remain at Ferrari, stating that it is his "number one choice." However, he has also expressed his wish to sign a multi-year contract ahead of the start of the 2024, and this seems to be the sticking point in the negotiations.

Ferrari, on the other hand, appears to be more open to a shorter-term arrangement in a bit to keep their options open for the future. Despite the impasse, Formu1a.uno maintains that Sainz is still "the most likely scenario" to remain at Ferrari in the coming months.

‘Stalemate’;

https://f1i.com/news/498421-sainz-ta...stalemate.html

More Carlos Sainz rumours swirl with two F1 plans under consideration – report
    27 Jan 2024 12:00 PM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Although Carlos Sainz’s “plan A” is a multi-year extension with Ferrari, AS reports he has options for the future and they’re “not only Audi”. Spanish daily AS reports there is “no nervousness” in the Sainz camp.

That’s in part because he has several options for his Formula 1 future, “not” just Audi. The publication claims that “sources who know the Italian house well indicate that a one or two-year contract is being worked on, although important points still need to be resolved.

“Sainz, 29, will have driven four years for Ferrari from his arrival in 2021 until the end of his current contract. His priority, he himself has underlined, is to renew with the Italians for a long time. But there is plan A and also plan B.”

‘Carlos Sainz rumours’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/more-c...swirl-f1-plans

Why Leclerc deal leaves Sainz with tricky dilemma
    27 January 6:30AM
    RacingNews365

One of the main protagonists when the silly season rumour mill starts churning for good may be Leclerc's Ferrari teammate Carlos Sainz, who has a contract that is expiring. Talks have been revealed to be ongoing yet nothing has yet come from those discussions and with the Spaniard likely to hold out for a long-term contract having been burned at Renault at the end of last decade, a sticking point may have been found.

With Leclerc a product of Ferrari's own development pathway, Sainz is unlikely to be the number one option anyway and whilst sides not be chosen early in the season, the Monégasque is most likely to be favoured. So will Sainz stay or go?

He said: "Audi is always a certainty. "In fact, I know how seriously they take every project. And I also know well what the famous German mentality means in practice, both the good sides and certain not-so-good sides. But we just have to have a lot of respect for the Volkswagen Group with Audi as part of it. And of course, it makes sense to talk about what Audi can manage, especially since I am a member of that Audi family."

‘Tricky dilemma’;

https://racingnews365.com/how-sainz-...lit-by-leclerc

Ferrari confirm name of their 2024 F1 car.
    Scuderia Ferrari's car for the coming season will be called SF-24, the team has announced as they ramp up their preparation for the 2024 F1 season with a three-day test session at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.
    30th January 2024, 11:34
    F1 Technical

With the new name, the Maranello-based team is continuing the tradition of recent years which has covered almost the entire Formula 1 hybrid era. The SF naturally stands for Scuderia Ferrari, followed by the number of the current year.

This formula was first used on 2015's SF15-T, the second hybrid season and the only exception since then came in 2022, when the F1-75 name celebrated the company's 75th birthday.

This year's car is being launched on 13 February. The Maranello-based team is set to participate in this year's championship with an unchanged driver line-up with Carlos Sainz and Charles Leclerc due to race for the fabled Italian outfit for the fourth consecutive year.

‘SF-24’;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24371

What’s behind Ferrari’s silence on Sainz’s F1 future
    30th January 2024, 08:50
    AUTHORRoberto Chinchero
    CO-AUTHORJonathan Noble
    Motorsport.com

Sainz has been pretty open that he did not want to go into the 2024 season without his F1 future beyond the end of the year sorted.

Speaking exclusively to Motorsport.com last June about the situation, Sainz said: “I'm not going to lie, I don’t like going into my last year of a contract without really knowing where I'm racing the next year.

“I went through that process both with Red Bull and Renault, and I know it’s not ideal as an athlete, and as a driver. It's just not the right thing. And that's why I have put this winter as a reference to try and figure out my future.”

‘Ferrari’s silence’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...ture/10570405/

Former F1 star claims Red Bull rivals are CLOSER in 2024 title bid
    Tuesday 30 January 2024 09:12
    Sam Cook
    GPFans

Former Formula 1 driver Marc Gene has said that Ferrari will be 'able to fight more assiduously' with Red Bull in 2024. "All we can tell is what the simulator tells us and the feelings of the drivers in the simulator," Gene told Mundo Deportivo. "We still have to wait to see the car on the track, which will be on February 13 and then the pre-season test in Bahrain."

"The track is the only one that really rules and is the final judge. It's true that last year at this point we were no longer completely convinced with the car from what the simulator told us. Red Bull had a very important margin last year and they say that this year’s car is much better, so they are obviously the favourites. It’s difficult. Fighting with them for the world championship is a bit optimistic to say, but to take one more step forward and be able to fight more assiduously with them, then yes.”

‘CLOSER in 2024 title bid’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...tle-challenge/

Rob Smedley shares ‘key difference’ between working with Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso
    Mon 29 January 2024 20:00
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Former Ferrari engineer Rob Smedley has now shared the key difference between working with Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso. Smedley has worked in motorsport for more than 20 years including spells with Jordan, Williams and Ferrari.

Speaking about his relationship with the drivers, Smedley said: “Michael [Schumacher] was super analytical and very interested in the nuisances. “And Fernando [Alonso] was very much like that as well. The key difference between Fernando and Michael is that Fernando in the first lap in P1, he’s eleven-tenths, he’s flat out and he’s absolutely giving it 100% all the time. Michael probably had a slightly different approach to a race weekend.”

‘Key difference’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/rob...rnando-alonso/

What Massa's key F1 ally makes of his 2008 title court bid
    Jan 30, 2024
    by Edd Straw
    The Race

A right to seek justice: Smedley supports Massa’s right to pursue action, but he sees what happened as ancient history. “I've always been a person that, whatever happened yesterday, whether it was good or bad, I get up and dust myself off and move on,” he tells The Race F1 Podcast. “More pots and pans, more medals whatever you want to call it, is fairly meaningless for me. I'm interested in what's happening today and tomorrow and the day after that. But that's my personal opinion.

“What I will say is this is something that Felipe feels strongly about. It's no secret that Felipe is a really good pal of mine, he's like a little brother to me. If this is something that he feels strongly and passionately about - and he when he talks about it he's very compelling and convincing in the fact that he's doing this for what he feels is justice - everybody should have their personal right to pursue whatever they feel is just. That’s the case with Felipe here.”

“There's a lot of different parties involved, we're starting to look back at the past. Where this will end I've got no idea. I keep a watching brief on it, that's all I can or want to do. It’s of interest but if it does get flipped, what does that open up at that point in terms of sporting decisions, not only in Formula 1, but in the past?”

‘A right to seek justice’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/w...tle-court-bid/

When is F1 2024 pre-season testing? All you need to know about testing in Bahrain.
    Teams get 24 hours of track time in Bahrain a week before the start of the 2024 F1 world championship
    January 30, 2024
    By Adam Dickinson
    Total Motorsport

F1 2024 pre-season testing will run for three days from February 21-23, before it’s lights out for the Bahrain GP on March 2. The action each day will begin at 10:00 local time and finish at 19:00, so teams will get well over an hour on track after the sun sets to simulate grand prix conditions too.

Teams will spend three days in Sakhir then have less than a week to make any last-minute changes before the season-opening 2024 Bahrain Grand Prix, won by Max Verstappen 12 months ago.

For UK viewers, that means watching 7-16:00 from Wednesday to Friday, with an hour’s shutdown for lunch each day too.

‘F1 2024 pre-season testing’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/whe...-know-bahrain/

What time does 2024 F1 pre-season testing in Bahrain start?
    21 January 7:00PM
    Author Jan van der Burgt
    RacingNews365

Following the recent trend of reducing the amount of pre-season testing, in 2024, teams will have just three full days of action to put their new cars through their paces. For reasons of cost and practicability, testing now takes place in Bahrain at the Sakhir International Circuit the week before the season gets underway.

This year, testing takes place between February 21-23, with each race driver set for a minimum of a day-and-a-half in the car - although the time available to each driver does depend on red flags, mechanical gremlins or reliability concerns. Each day, the action is set to go green at 07:00am UK time - 10:00am in Bahrain and last until 16:00 UK time, or 19:00pm local time. There is also an hour shutdown in the middle of the day for lunch.

The first race weekend of the new season takes place between February 29th-March 3rd with the Bahrain Grand Prix set to be on Saturday March 3rd owing to the start of Ramadan and the Saudi Arabian GP needing to be moved forward to Saturday to accommodate the start of the Islamic Holy month on March 10th.

‘2024 F1 pre-season testing’;

https://racingnews365.com/what-time-...ain-2024-start

F1 makes MAJOR pre-season testing announcement
    Friday 19 January 2024 17:27
    Dan Ripley
    GPFans

F1 have revealed that the times on all of the three consecutive days starting from February 21 will see testing begin at 10am in the morning before ending 7pm at night local time. For those in the UK, this would translate to 7am in the morning before finishing at 4pm.

The move comes shortly after the FIA confirmed the race start times for all 24 grands prix to take place this season, a record amount for a Formula 1 campaign. Given the teams will have just three days to run and not a lot of time after to ensure their cars are in excellent condition to start the season, the time on track will be absolutely crucial.

This means that while headline laptimes will be interesting to glance at, an ideal scenario for teams will instead be on running with minimal reliability issues and being able to put in as many laps as possible. This will ensure they can collect data and understand their 2024 designs as they hit the track for the first time.

‘Three consecutive days starting from February 21, 2024’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...mes-confirmed/

F1 testing opportunities expanded as Haas grabs its chance
    19 January 6:00PM
    RacingNews365

Filming days for Formula 1 teams - officially referred to as 'Promotional Events' in the sporting regulations - were originally intended for marketing and promotional purposes. F1, however, is a sport in which people take advantage of every loophole. Often, a filming day is the first and last time an F1 team runs its car around a real track before the official test sessions take place.

As a result, it has become customary to use these days as a test day where teams can gather important data about their new F1 car. However, 'special' tyres will be used, allowing data to be gathered about the car only. Until 2023, a total of 200 kilometres was allowed to be covered during filming days, divided into two sessions of up to 100 kilometres each.

These sessions were allowed to take place on the same day. Under Article 10.4 of the sporting regulations for 2024, it now states that teams are allowed to drive 200 kilometres per session. This means that two sessions are now allowed for a total distance of 400 kilometres.

‘People take advantage of every loophole’;

https://racingnews365.com/testing-op...abs-its-chance

Alonso hints Aston Martin problems after F1 testing session
    Monday 29 January 2024 12:57
    Cal Gaunt
    GPFans

The experienced Spaniard, known for his demanding standards, recently provided some valuable feedback to the team as they prepare for the upcoming tests. In a YouTube video released by the team, Alonso's insights were captured as the stage was set for their newest F1 machine.

Alonso highlights potential issue: “The most noticeable shift, so you do [turn] six, then you upshift and then you turn right to do seven and the steering is quite heavy and it takes a little bit of time," Alonso said.

Alonso will likely place a premium on car responsiveness, especially with challenging circuits like Jeddah and Melbourne on the horizon in the early part of the season. Aston Martin relies heavily on Alonso's seasoned expertise in the simulator for crucial developmental insights.

‘Demanding standards’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...g-2024-season/

New Haas boss makes worrying admission as F1 2024 fast approaches.
    Undone by tyre woes last season that left Haas with just 12 points on the board despite 11 Q3 appearances, new boss Ayao Komatsu has revealed the team still does not understand the problem.
    31 Jan 2024 10:40 AM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Worryingly for Haas, Komatsu says they’ve yet to get on top of last year’s tyres troubles. “I don’t think we understand everything,” he said as per Motorsport.com. “I think we understand a significant part of it, but the only proof is if you can produce a car that can deal with the problem.”

“I don’t like to sit here and say that we understand it 100 per cent, We don’t. But we have a decent idea of why and where we need to focus on.” The new team boss believes better communication and cohesion is key. “From ’19 to ’23, the programme is very different,” he said. “It may look the same, but it is very different. But the working practice is the core.”

“If we are not working in a very integrated manner, communicating properly between the aero department in Italy to the tyre department in the UK, that is a problem. That working culture and practice is something I am going to focus on improving. We want to move as one.”

‘Worrying admission’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/haas-w...024-approaches

Haas tyre woes potentially linked to communication gaps
    31/01/2024 at 10:53
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

Haas is still searching for answers on its tyre degradation issues, but team boss Ayao Komatsu has suggested that its woes could be rooted in an inter-department communication gap at the US outfit. Tyre degradation on race day was a persistent theme for Haas throughout the 2023 season, and one that seriously undermined the efforts of Kevin Magnussen and Nico Hulkenberg on Sundays.

The Japanese engineer believes that Haas’ understanding has progressed although he acknowledged that the team has not yet achieved a complete solution. "I don't think we understand everything," admitted Komatsu. "I think we understand a significant part of it, but the only proof is if you can produce a car that can deal with the problem.”

‘Communication gaps’;

https://f1i.com/news/498562-haas-tyr...tion-gaps.html

Haas still chasing full answer over F1 car tyre woes
    14:54 Tue, 30 Jan 2024.
    AUTHORJonathan Noble
    Motorsport.com

An upgrade introduced at the United States Grand Prix to help improve the aerodynamic characteristics did not deliver a clear answer either about what direction it needed to head in, and drivers Kevin Magnussen and Nico Hulkenberg ended up going different routes.

As the team prepares for the launch of its 2024 car, new Haas boss Ayao Komatsu is clear that much of the focus of its winter efforts has been on addressing the tyre issue, which he says it has not yet been fully resolved.

"I don't think we understand everything," admitted Komatsu. "I think we understand a significant part of it, but the only proof is if you can produce a car that can deal with the problem. I don't like to sit here and say that we understand it 100%, We don't. But we have a decent idea of why and where we need to focus on."

“Working practices need to improve";

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...woes/10570602/

Guenther Steiner reveals the factor that drained his Haas motivation
    27 Jan 2024 6:15 PM
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

Guenther Steiner has pinpointed a lack of long-term investment as a reason that it was “difficult to stay motivated” at the top of Haas. “I’ve never been in a company this long as I was in Haas F1, think about that – at some stage [the long-term future gets considered],” Steiner told Autosport.

“You know, doing more of the same and seeing what other people do to move forwards. Like all the other teams – like AlphaTauri, Aston Martin – you see where they are going and you cannot go with them, it’s difficult to stay motivated.”

“You always try because you never give up. You try – but at some stage obviously it becomes clear that… it becomes more clear when you are gone, because you are not in the whirlwind anymore. You are outside and you look in and you say, ‘wow, I pushed for a long time, seeing where other people are going’ since [the budget cap in for 2021].”

‘Lack of long-term investment’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/guenth...ivation-sapped

F1 star hampered by one negative trait claims pundit
    Tuesday 30 January 2024 14:57
    Cal Gaunt
    GPFans

Former F1 team manager and seasoned journalist Peter Windsor has recently shared his admiration for Haas driver Kevin Magnussen - but feels there are weaknesses he ought to address.

Windsor: Magnussen should brush up: “I see K-Mag as a pretty short corner driver, lots of feel and touch, a bit undisciplined at the moment," Windsor said on his YouTube channel. "Sounds very condescending but I think he should do a couple of days with Rob Wilson just to brush up. But I think he’s definitely on that side of the fence.”

"Nico [Hulkenberg] stays on the slightly longer corner side of the fence. But K-Mag at his best is very, very good from watching him over the years and I hope that the new Haas regime will bring the best out of him again, I can see that.”

‘One negative trait claims pundit’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...dsor-analysis/

F1 did not just reject Andretti’s bid…they tore it to absolute pieces.
    It is one thing to be told ‘no’ to a dream project that you have poured hundreds of hours in and many, many more hundreds of dollars, but it is another thing to have that rejection be so brutal.
    31 Jan 2024 4:12 PM
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

In their conclusions, the commercially minded F1 said in their view the most realistic way of providing value would be by being competitive. They saw no evidence that made them believe Andretti would be competitive. They raised doubts about Andretti being supplied by another PU manufacturer in the interim period before GM arrived.

They recognised Andretti may bring some fan growth but argued it would be more beneficial in the other direction. They said an 11th team would place an “operational burden” on race promoters and incur those costs while impacting the room the 10 teams currently enjoy at any given circuit.

They even questioned whether Andretti were aware of the size of the task given Andretti’s desire to join in 2025 and essentially build two different cars in the same amount of years. One final nugget from the statement was the revelation that Andretti were informed of the findings in December and offered a meeting, yet declined to turn up. Given the brutal nature of the findings, it is understandable why.

‘Tore it to absolute pieces’;

https://www.planetf1.com/features/an...ected-reaction

The three key factors that led F1 to turn down Andretti
    17:44 Wed, 31 Jan 2024.
    AUTHORJonathan Noble
    Motorsport.com

FOM’s document even went into quite some detail, explaining how there had been written correspondence between Andretti and FOM last October, and that there had been an offer made on December 12, 2023, for a face-to-face meeting at FOM’s London HQ.

“The Applicant did not take us up on this offer,” said F1. The full explanation outlines three key factors that it believes counted against the Andretti green light.
    The double challenge forced by new 2026 rules: Against the backdrop of Andretti seeking to get on the grid for 2025 is the fact that F1 is heading for a major rules revolution the year after.

The engine issue: Long-term, the ambition is for GM to produce its own power unit – which would bring an important manufacturer on to the grid that even F1 admits would be a positive. However, such a move is likely only possible from 2028 at the earliest, meaning in the interim Andretti would need to find a customer partner.
    Adding value: The demand for any new entrant to bring added value to the grid is repeatedly mentioned in the F1 statement. FOM said it concluded that the best way for Andretti to bring value would be by “being competitive” – something it says it does not think it would be.

‘The three key factors’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...etti/10571128/

The damning reasons why F1 turned down Andretti's entry bid - for now
    31 January 5:40PM
    Author Fergal Walsh
    RacingNews365

Following several months of deliberations, Formula One Management (FOM) has opted to deny Andretti Global’s application to join the grid for either the 2025 or 2026 season. F1 noted that a hypothetical new team would carry the most value if it arrived on the grid in a competitive manner, “in particular by competing for podiums and race wins”.

While it is understandable that the sport wishes to avoid a repeat of having a team join and be consistently uncompetitive - such as HRT, Marussia and Caterham in the early 2010s - it sets an extremely high bar for any interested operation to reach from the get-go. F1 also pointed out that the 2025 season marks the last year of the current technical regulations, with fresh rules ready to come into play the following year.

Andretti proposed that it would build a car under the 2025 regulations and then construct an entirely new challenger for the rule reset, however F1 was unconvinced by the realistic ability for a new team to do so in a competitive way.

‘Damning reasons’;

https://racingnews365.com/the-damnin...ry-bid-for-now

'Who is really running this show?' Martin Brundle predicts FIA-F1 'head-to-head' after Andretti rejection
    Legendary commentator Martin Brundle has given his view on F1 rejecting Andretti's bid to become the 11th team in 2025.
    31 Jan 2024
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

Sky Sports F1 commentator Martin Brundle believes F1’s decision to reject Andretti’s bid to become the 11th team will likely result in even more tension with the FIA. Brundle gave his thoughts on the situation when speaking Sky Sports News.

“This does put the FIA, the regulator, head to head with F1 management and Liberty Media - the financial rights holders because the FIA said yes, F1 have said no to what they often refer to in that document that has just come out as an 11th team rather than Andretti,” Brundle said.

“This is a bigger picture of a head to head now between F1 and the FIA as to who is really running this show . I think the commercial rights holders have a big sway in that. Of course they can squeeze another team into the pit lane pretty much everywhere we go. There’s also some hospitality in the pit lane but teams don’t want to share their money out 11 ways instead of 10 and nor do F1. So as ever, money is a big part of this as well.”

'Who is really running this show?';

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/104394...after-andretti

Steiner: F1 protecting Andretti from itself
    19:52 Wed, 31 Jan 2024.
    Nate Saunders, General Editor, F1
    ESPN.com

Former Haas boss Guenther Steiner said F1's decision to block Andretti joining before 2028 shows the sport is in such good health it can no longer afford to have uncompetitive teams. Steiner, who left Haas at the start of January, was speaking to ESPN's Unlapped podcast shortly after the decision had been made public.

"I think they looked at it and thought it was too ambitious," Steiner said. He added: "I don't have all the information. Maybe they looked at it and they said we want them but we want to make sure they are successful when they come, protect them from themselves.

"I think F1 is protecting all the teams, everyone involved in the sport, they didn't close the door completely. They said '28 is a new day, a new year, it's quite a few years away, it's not tomorrow but the door is open. Show us you can get prepared and be competitive by then and I think we'd welcome them".

‘F1 protecting Andretti from itself’;

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/3...enther-steiner

Andretti still working on F1 car, doesn't accept rejection
    Jan 31, 2024
    by Scott Mitchell-Malm
    The Race

It is widely believed that F1’s decision will be challenged, although Andretti has not yet said if it will actually take legal action.

One factor to consider is that F1 did at least indicate that it “would look differently” should Andretti apply for an entry for 2028 with a General Motors engine – a reference to GM’s announcement last year it would build its own F1 power unit for this entry.

However, that seemed contingent on Andretti Cadillac joining the grid as requested for 2025, and a short-term customer engine deal being struck in the interim.

‘Doesn't accept rejection’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/a...t-cadillac-gm/