Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts

Legal action launched over F1 Las Vegas GP spectator ejections

I'm not only happy that this lawsuit is being filed, I hope they win and receive the $1Billiin they are seeking. The unapologetic statement issued by F1 was a big middle finger to the fans. Taking this and the events of the last couple of years, the no race at Spa, the fixed 2021 title, the way RBR were given a slap on the wrist for cheating along with the clear and obvious favouritism they enjoy in the sport- I want the sports stakeholders are bankrupt.

What happened in Vegas was a disgrace. Crazy ticket prices and the fans can't see the practice sessions- then you have deluded people like Toto saying it's only Thursday and tomorrow no one will be talking about it. Yes they will because they paid extortionate prices to be denied everything they paid to see. Shows the class gulf between F1 and the working person. Pennies to him with his $500million, not to the fans.

These guys, all of them, need a big kick up the rear.

A high-profile Nevada law firm has launched a legal action against the Formula 1 Las Vegas GP organisation and its contractor to pursue refunds for spectators.

Adam Cooper
    Police eject fans from a grandstand
    It is asking for payments of "in excess" of $30,000 per spectator, split equally between "general" and "special" damages.

After Thursday's incident involving Carlos Sainz led to the first free practice being stopped, there was a lengthy delay while water valve covers were checked.

FP2 was supposed to start at midnight, and it finally got underway at 2.30am. However, the venue was cleared of spectators at 1.30am due to staffing and security issues.

On Friday, spectators affected were offered a $200 voucher to be spent at the venue's merchandise sites.

On Friday evening, the Dimopoulos law firm working in conjunction with JK Legal & Consulting filed a class action on behalf of the 35,000 spectators it says were at the track on Thursday.

The action states that "the lawsuit alleges breach of contract, negligence, and deceptive trade practices against the defendants," who are the Las Vegas GP and TAB Contractors Inc., the company involved with maintaining the track.

Lead lawyer Steve Dimopoulos, well known in the city for personal injury cases and through billboards and TV advertising, noted: "We will vindicate the rights of the fans that travelled great distances and paid small fortunes to attend, but were deprived of the experience."

The action outlines the events of Thursday evening, although it incorrectly states that practice resumed at 3.30am rather than 2.30am.

Work and discussion is undertaken to fix the loose manhole covers on track
    Photo by: Francois Tremblay

Work and discussion is undertaken to fix the loose manhole covers on track

It notes: "The manhole cover seals that were supposed to surround the manhole cover were installed, worked on and inspected by defendant TAB in the course and scope of their contract to work on the subject track and make the track race-ready.

"The work on the track performed by TAB, including installing the subject failed manhole cover and concrete work sealing the manhole cover, was completed only days before the 'practice run' event and the track was not in the race-ready condition at the time of the event.

It says that "F1 and/or its contractors and safety organisations had a duty to inspect the track to make sure that it was safe for use by the racers and was race-ready for the 'practice run' event" and "failed to detect the flaws and/or poor installation of the subject manhole cover sealed by TAB and failed to ensure that the track was race-ready for the 'practice run' event."

The claim also references the conditions on tickets, which suggests that if the event was cancelled and not rescheduled a refund up to face value would be due.

It adds that "as of the time of this complaint, none of the attendees and/or invitees who purchased the tickets to the 'practice run' event, and were deprived of the opportunity to attend the same through no fault of their own, have received and/or were offered any refunds for their tickets."

The claim asks for "money damages in an amount that will fairly and reasonably compensate them for the harm caused by the defendants.

"In addition, the plaintiffs claim damages for mental anguish in an amount to be determined by the jury that is fair and reasonable in consideration of the wilful, reckless, and intentional conduct of the defendant."

The F1 organisation is aware of the claim but a spokesperson declined to comment when approached by Motorsport.com.

UPDATE: A spokesperson for LVGP said: "We cannot comment on the litigation. Our focus is on ensuring that our fans have an entertaining experience in a safe and secure environment which is always our top priority."

2. Likes: Jag_Warrior (24th November 2023)
    Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
    You are correct. I think the offer made to the fans was a $200 credit in the race "Race Store". Most of the tickets, even for Friday, cost more than that. A complete insult to the fans.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    From my memory of merchandise prices when we attended the Austin race, that $200 of F1 scrip might buy a hat and a couple of t-shirts. So let’s say a person took that low ball voucher offer, bought the hat and t-shirts… but then returned the items for a refund. Would they receive US $ or just another F1 funny money credit?

When Vegas was first announced, the wife asked me if I was planning on us going. I told her that this would be worse on the wallet than Miami and probably not as good a race as Austin. I like going to Vegas, but I figured this would be a clown show, just meant for the super wealthy to rub elbows with each other. It appears I was mostly right. Sorry for the hardworking fans who got screwed over though.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    I told her that this would be worse on the wallet than Miami and probably not as good a race as Austin.
    Well, the racing turned out to be some of the best of the year. I haven't talked to anybody yet who went there yet to see how it was for the average fan.

But from the videos, it didn't look much different from Austin. Vegas would offer some advantages - cell infrastructure probably much more mature, things to do in between qualifying, hotels on-site, and great food options.

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    I told her that this would be worse on the wallet than Miami and probably not as good a race as Austin.
    Well, the racing turned out to be some of the best of the year. I haven't talked to anybody yet who went there yet to see how it was for the average fan.

But from the videos, it didn't look much different from Austin. Vegas would offer some advantages - cell infrastructure probably much more mature, things to do between qualifying, hotels on-site, great food options, and good travel options.

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    F1 should be given more priority to the fans. The fans don't want them to treat them like the famous celebrities but they expect to be allowed to see all of the action they want when they have the tickets.
    FanAmp and r/GrandPrixTravel - Two Wonderful Places for F1 Fans

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Sure, those fans got screwed over and the recompence they received was a joke, but should the F1 be punished that hard for how they treated these fans?
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

9. Likes: airshifter (27th December 2023)
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    I doubt much will come of this in the long run. I'd be surprised if they settle for much more than ticket prices, if that. Not that I think that makes things right, as people could have travelled to see just practice and be out of pocket more money. But there is always risk for such things, and if the fans and their lawyers go after big money it will just drag on forever.

At over 30k per spectator that's just proving how broken legal systems are.