Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Used to be Starter View Post
    Interesting that here in the US, where street racing via IndyCar is common, no one thought to secure the various manhole covers and other pavement access points to the city infrastructure. That was a lot of damage to Carlos' car.
    It was unfortunate for Sainz and Ferrari. I think the ten-place drop was grossly unfair. Why punish a driver and team for unforeseen damage through no fault of their own? The stewards are unbelievable.

Baku and Singapore had manhole issues on their first few races. It has even happened in Monaco. So this is not new. It is simply teething problems to be expected. Hence, unfair to blow it out of proportion. That said, I say; l have never seen Toto Woolf so mad as he was in the team principles media session. Fred Vasseur was beside himself with annoyance, he could not answer any questions. And l don't blame him. In this cost cap era that does not make any allowances for force majeur, that incident would cost Ferrari dearly, then add the ten place grid drop to that, ouch.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Used to be Starter View Post
    FP2 scheduled to start at 2:30 am local time. Fans ejected from the track and not able to watch. Can this get any better? Apparently fans who bought 1 day tickets, because of the cost, were ejected with everyone else. I wonder if they will received refunds?
    Apparently, the track would be reopened to public thoroughfare at 04:00 am local time, regardless of whatever happens in the session starting at 02:30 am.

I think it is going to be an interesting race. That long straight with DRS is going to offer lots of overtaking being a wide track. I am going to stay up to watch it.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 17th November 2023 at 17:07.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

3. Likes: Bagwan (18th November 2023)
    Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    It was unfortunate for Sainz and Ferrari. I think the ten-place drop was grossly unfair. Why punish a driver and team for unforeseen damage through no fault of their own? The stewards are unbelievable.

Baku and Singapore had manhole issues on their first few races. It has even happened in Monaco. So this is not new. It is simply teething problems to be expected. Hence, unfair to blow it out of proportion. That said, I say; l have never seen Toto Woolf so mad as he was in the team principles media session. Fred Vasseur was beside himself with annoyance, he could not answer any questions. And l don't blame him. In this cost cap era that does not make any allowances for force majeur, that incident would cost Ferrari dearly, then add the ten place grid drop to that, ouch.
    I agree completely about the unfairness of the drop.

As a former marshal, one of the very first things you do on a street course is inspect all of the utility covers to be sure they are properly secured (Along with the walls and fencing.) Later info says it wasn't just the covers themselves which came loose, it was both the covers and the concrete surround.

5. Likes: Bagwan (18th November 2023)
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    The statement released by the stewards did make it clear that the only reason the penalty was applied was that their arms were tied in the matter per the regs as they currently stand. I'd imagine Ferrari and other teams will push the issue... at least I hope so.

As for the weather and general hate, all part of the media hype train and overdone to the max. We won't know for sure how the racing is until it happens, the F1 has had to deal with similar temps and wet conditions in the past.

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Qualifying surprises:

1. Mcclaren - 16 and 19
    2. Perez and Hamilton out in Q2. Especially Perez sitting in the pit lane during everybody else last run.
    3. Ferrari dominating qualifying. Got to feel for Sainz. F1 rules are hard to understand why they do some things.
    4. Williams's great qualifying.
    5. Magnuson making it to P3

Question for the race.
    1. Can Verstappen and Leclerc put on a show?

2. Can Williams how their places and bring in a big point haul for them?

General impression of Las Vegas

1. The track looks much wider than some of the safety car runs I had seen.

2. I thought they wanted Las Vegas for the lights, but they seemed to have toned down all the neon. Kym Illman remarked about how dark it is in places that usually are well lighted at other F1 races.

3. Looks like the weather is going to be non-factor. Rain showers look to be after the race.

8. Likes: airshifter (19th November 2023),Bagwan (18th November 2023)
    Time will tell how the race pans out, but that was an interesting qually.

Sergio went to the pit and I was in shock. Unless they ran him lower on fuel I suspect maybe a car problem. It just doesn't seem that RB are the type to blow it that bad, the track was evolving quickly and it was clearly best to stay out. Though cars did multiple laps on the tires, it didn't seem to make them too difficult during the first runs, just not as quick as once they worked some heat into them. If it leads to great tire life through the race, it might mix up strategy calls.

Though Ferrari were quick (as well as Williams) I suspect the Ferrari's might go through the tires quicker as well. If not, Charles should have a good shot to take the win.

Unless I catch a second wind, I think I'm just going to watch the race tomorrow. Though I often stay up really late, I could use some sleep today.

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    The start of the weekend wasn't great but it was a really good race. Had a great time watching it.
    FanAmp and r/GrandPrixTravel - Two Wonderful Places for F1 Fans

11. Likes: airshifter (19th November 2023),Bagwan (20th November 2023)
    After all the negative hype, I thought the race was fantastic. If Vegas gives us this kind of action on a regular basis I can easily say I would like it more than Monaco, Baku, and Jeddah and probably even Marina Bay. The jury is still out of if it's like this every year, but overall compared to a lot of tracks it gave us a lot of action,

And for once, we had a car that looked like it would really compete head to head with the RB and Max. Though Charles got a poor start and pushed off, he could fight back. And he did.

Though there were some clumsy moves here and there, overall the racing was good. The track is wide enough to give multiple line options to the drivers, and they attacked each other through a lot of areas of the track. Though the straights are long, the DRS passes were no guarantee, but often enough to get a car within striking distance for the other sections.

I don't like the over the top limo ride type crap, but if it comes with good racing I'll take it!

13. Likes: Bagwan (20th November 2023),Mia 01 (20th November 2023),Whyzars (20th November 2023)
    Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Race = great.
    Whole weekend - Bunk.

I wish they wouldn't come back here.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."