Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts

2023 - Race 22 Las Vegas

Las Vegas up in a week. Too bad no sprint race - it could be called the Las Vegas Sin City Sprint.

Weather is looking a little iffy, with storms projected coming in late next week.

It will be interesting to see turnout. Story are now about ticket prices are dropping. Started out at $2,000 for grandstand seats, but are dropping to $1,000 to 1,500.

We looked at going, but hotel prices and tickets were stupid. Las Vegas priced out a lot of fans initially with their aggressive pricing. Las Vegas even added a $15 f1 surcharge for taxis.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    I guess we'll find out soon enough how the race goes. It doesn't look very appealing to me, but then again sometimes the tracks seem dull but produce good racing. It might be both cool and maybe even wet, so that could spice things up. With monster straights nobody is going to want too much downforce, but without it firing up the tires might be tricky.

As for prices.... I didn't expect much from Vegas. I personally think the place is grossly overrated, but I guess they expected people to just shell out the money. And really a lot of people go there expecting to blow money, so at least their angle makes some sense.

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    I have seen a few footage of the track in the last couple of days and everything is looking awesome.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    There seems to be some concern rowing over the hair-pin , and it could be trickier still , if it rains .

If the surface is good , then it could be fun .

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    As for prices.... I didn't expect much from Vegas. I personally think the place is grossly overrated, but I guess they expected people to just shell out the money. And really a lot of people go there expecting to blow money, so at least their angle makes some sense.
    I've been to Vegas a number of times, but for only two reasons. One is that the SCCA national convention has been held there for a number of years now and the other is to change planes on a flight to somewhere else. I'm not planning on adding a third reason any time soon. I will watch the broadcast though.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    With dollars in the eyes, FOM couldn't make time to work out the details properly. How they missed a very obvious matter of temperature in the discussions says a lot about the people the formula is entrusted with. It would take them about a minute to check the historical temperatures of the venue to know if the timing of the race is conducive for F1 cars to go racing or not.

The hosting organizers also show how much they understand what they are about to stage. Running F1 cars in single-digit temperatures is just as astonishing as it gets. WTF

As Verstappen puts it, this is not a race but an exhibition.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 13th November 2023 at 22:20.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    With dollars in the eyes, FOM couldn't make time to work out the details properly. How they missed a very obvious matter of temperature in the discussions says a lot about the people the formula is entrusted with. It would take them about a minute to check the historical temperatures of the venue to know if the timing of the race is conducive for F1 cars to go racing or not.
    Think snow tires. This may add a new element of drama to F1.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Used to be Starter View Post
    Think snow tires. This may add a new element of drama to F1.
    It may also cause a fatality. Cooling the engine, brakes, and gearbox may not be an issue for this race. But l doubt anyone would be pushing harder than they have to. There is too much risk to their budget for fixing damages, which l think may be plenty, judging by the apex at the end of the long straight. New virgin tarmac, cold breeze, and cold tires; recipe for chaos

It is just not an ideal temperature for F1 racing.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    The temperature drama is being overblown. It not going to snow, and the temperatures are going to range from the mid-50s to mid-60s. That is the same temperature range as in Germany and Turkey in 2020.

Now, the rain might make it spicy, but that is the case regardless of the track.

10. Likes: Bagwan (16th November 2023),gm99 (15th November 2023)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Are you considering that teams might encounter significant challenges in finding optimal race settings? Conditions appear to be difficult, and current cars sometimes experience some problems depending on the track. Can we expect any surprises among the leaders in the race results?

12. Likes: Bagwan (16th November 2023)