Page 51 of 84 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    You can't retrospectively apply it, incentives and objectives change, like playing 'what if'. Ogier is best example of someone who pootles round completely disinterested after an early mistake or retirement. Give him a fresh Sunday he would change approach.

Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    You can't retrospectively apply it, incentives and objectives change, like playing 'what if'. Ogier is best example of someone who pootles round completely disinterested after an early mistake or retirement. Give him a fresh Sunday he would change approach.
    I dont think Ogier is interested in any Sunday short race, he wants to fight for overal win. Like he was not interested in fight for power stage points, I think he will be not interested in fight for Sunday points...

3. Likes: Lead (18th December 2023),TWRC (18th December 2023)
    Liked 167 Times in 94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    italian media did 23 vs 24 point system comparison on this year championship.
    result is: nothing changes, except classification is shorter. Rovampera even got the same exact point of this year.

here their statement: "What would have changed by applying the new points scoring for the 2023 WRC season to the 2024 season? Practically NOTHING, except to have a shorter leaderboard, in the sense of reduced gaps at the end of the season.
    As you can see from the simulation I did (barring errors and omissions of course) you can see how the FIA scores for the 2024 season have been drawn up. The simulations were done on Rovanpera, who in fact turns out to have the same final points with one scoring system or the other. The intention then was not to upset anything but to make the championship more tightly contested until the last race."
    Attachment 2499
    You're ignoring a pretty big factor here: Drivers in 2023 didn't drive to maximize their points under 2024 rules.
    This fact alone makes this comparison totally irrelevant

5. Likes: Andre Oliveira (18th December 2023),WRCStan (18th December 2023)
    Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    OK, the rally working group involving Richards and Reid was announced during the Baku meet. It will cover issues beyond WRC to grassroots rallying. https://www.fia.com/news/fia-statement-future-rallying

WMSC discusses and approves/rejects motions proposed to it, including all championship or discipline rules. They also approved the rule change at the Baku meet. No way the new working group invented and thrashed through this change, to propose it to the WMSC, to discuss, to vote on, within those days. After WMSC ratified the system change idea it said a WMSC Task Force was responsible for setting the points distribution. This may have involved Richards as a WMSC member, we don't know for sure. https://www.fia.com/news/wmsc-gather...-landmark-year

The proposal would likely have come from the WRC Commission, given it's a WRC regulation and not a general rallying rule and with so few manufacturers involved. Richards is not a member of these. There's also the WRC working groups, task forces and committees elsewhere, such as the meeting with drivers that Solberg chaired as Drivers Commission president. That was the meeting that had 80 ideas discussed, one of which is likely to be this points change.

Come to think of it, does Richards even have skin in the WRC game? He can't even be bothered to get a WRC round going as MSUK chief. It's possible he gets involved, he is on the senate I think, but I still think it's better to have some evidence.
    Thanks for the explanation, my mistake, I got it mixed up.

So it means the worst is yet to come! :P

7. Likes: WRCStan (18th December 2023)
    Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kras View Post
    You're ignoring a pretty big factor here: Drivers in 2023 didn't drive to maximize their points under 2024 rules.
    This fact alone makes this comparison totally irrelevant
    no it's not, you just have to get the point.
    first, is not me, i didn't write the article myself, just reported it.

anyway, i think it's very clear that the priority for drivers with new rules will be different, so, that part is for sure irrelevant -needless to say-, but is not the point. it's obvious you can't compare on that side, but you can compare on others. i think is interesting, as the article points out, that the new scoring system has been done looking for the same end result but shorter rankings as a base.

Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    I dont think Ogier is interested in any Sunday short race, he wants to fight for overal win. Like he was not interested in fight for power stage points, I think he will be not interested in fight for Sunday points...
    He'd do it for Toyota, these new points apply to manufacturers too. Won't sit back and rely on team mates.

Liked 2,129 Times in 924 Posts
    Not in Monte. 10th victory is in sight..

Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
    Not in Monte. 10th victory is in sight..
    No doubt victory in the plan but if he finds himself out of rally win contention on Saturday evening, you think he tells Toyota 'meh' when everybody starts at zero on Sunday and 2/3rds the max Saturday points are still to play for?

Liked 98 Times in 56 Posts
    I have been showing my young cousing (15yo) some WRC highlights and coverage and social media etc over the last month. He watches Motocross and V8SC basically, but hes aware of Motorsport in general. I asked him what they shoud do to "IMPROVE" rally in his opinion.... He answered: "Ah, 3 days is way too much for me, man. Even the three separated day highlights are too much. If they had one full weekend highlights in 15 or 20 minutes, that would be gold. Otherwise, those cars are super rad. They should run them in Gymkhana format, where people can see them and cheer for the battles. Or have them racing one or two close stages only, where all the fans can gather and watch in one place. I would not go out there to watch ONE CAR passing each 3 minutos to have to walk kilometers to the next stage. No way"

I mean.......... Its a "youngster opinion". Thats not RALLYING, but MAYBE some promoter could bat an eye on that simple idea haha

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fiscorpun View Post
    I have been showing my young cousing (15yo) some WRC highlights and coverage and social media etc over the last month. He watches Motocross and V8SC basically, but hes aware of Motorsport in general. I asked him what they shoud do to "IMPROVE" rally in his opinion.... He answered: "Ah, 3 days is way too much for me, man. Even the three separated day highlights are too much. If they had one full weekend highlights in 15 or 20 minutes, that would be gold. Otherwise, those cars are super rad. They should run them in Gymkhana format, where people can see them and cheer for the battles. Or have them racing one or two close stages only, where all the fans can gather and watch in one place. I would not go out there to watch ONE CAR passing each 3 minutos to have to walk kilometers to the next stage. No way"

I mean.......... Its a "youngster opinion". Thats not RALLYING, but MAYBE some promoter could bat an eye on that simple idea haha
    Well, everyone is free to invent new sports.

Rallying is rallying, even if it dies out.

And don´t forget historic rallying. Maybe that´s the future? Back to square one...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...