Page 76 of 84 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast
    Liked 380 Times in 185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drive View Post
    Post 2026 Rally1- based on 'frame', its freedom for models... rally2+ based on egsisting rally2 cars, so 'new rally1' concept keeps open doors to enter wrc for new 'tuners' without factory homoglogated rally2... good ��
    I do wonder how the bolded will work though: bodywork based on production models including B-class, C-Class, compact SUV or a Concept Car. A concept car is not a production model is it? :P

Liked 403 Times in 251 Posts
    I think it was meant as:

Production models including B-class[segment], C-class[segment], compact SUV or;

Concept Car

Parts of this are poorly written, like it was given to the work experience lackey to type up. Some parts are written as if from 2026 the cars will be breaking new ground (‘common safety cell’, possibility to be based on B- or C-segment models, SUVs), but isn’t that just what has been the case since 2022?

3. Likes: becher (29th February 2024),WRCStan (28th February 2024)
    Liked 237 Times in 112 Posts
    Hmmm i think same as Puma or Yaris or i20 now on tube chasis, mentioned segments B C Suv etc its only says what shape would be allowed... I mean like no maserati as it is now 😀

Liked 403 Times in 251 Posts
    Where did you hear the ‘Maserati to WRC’ rumours? I heard it was Bentley 🤣

(Also side note; thank you for making me realise I can now use proper emojis on posts here and not the archaic forums smileys!)

Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HKSjbg View Post
    I think it was meant as:

Production models including B-class[segment], C-class[segment], compact SUV or;

Concept Car

Parts of this are poorly written, like it was given to the work experience lackey to type up. Some parts are written as if from 2026 the cars will be breaking new ground (‘common safety cell’, possibility to be based on B- or C-segment models, SUVs), but isn’t that just what has been the case since 2022?
    I also agree concept car. If they don't want to change the sport to attract manufacturers and want to attract drivers instead, you don't have to have production touring cars.
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi

Liked 191 Times in 108 Posts
    Can anybody explain what the bit about "concept car" means?

If Porsche shows a mockup of a "Cayman Dakar" as a concept at the Geneva Motor Show, can they enter a working version in RMC the next year at WRC1-2 power levels? Without it being stuck in a hamstrung "GT" ghetto?

Liked 404 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morte66 View Post

If Porsche shows a mockup of a "Cayman Dakar" as a concept at the Geneva Motor Show, can they enter a working version in RMC the next year at WRC1-2 power levels? Without it being stuck in a hamstrung "GT" ghetto?

If that Caymen is a Rally 1 chassis with Caymen look alike bodywork yes. I think it's more meant that Hyundai for example could build a Rally1 car without any ties to the i20 and just style it after one off their concepts (Vision 74 for example).

9. Likes: Morte66 (1st March 2024)
    Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts

Possibly, yes. Depends on the tight technical and homologation rules. I missed Myrvold's question and other points so will try to explain what I believe.

Concept means a design specifically for use in the WRC, but the concept probably includes still looking like a (grand) touring car and not a barebones cross cart or side-by-side.

A production car is one of a number of identical cars built to sell, that's manufacturing. Doesn't have to be in large volume. Some manufacturers only do a run of 20 cars for example.

(Large Scale) Series production cars had a minimum number, was 400, 5000, 25,000, 2,500 at various points by various FIA motorsport rules.

B-segment, C-segment etc usually means cars have road use type approval and insurance categories etc by industry bodies and authorities. But even cars built in the private garage can be given road approval without being categorised. I believe, but it's outside my knowledgebase, road homologation rules are generally more relaxed for smaller builders, rules like the height of the bonnet and such. Tight-ass rules for volume manufacturers are one reason why most cars seen on the road all look the same.

Touring car is an old fashioned word meaning a car that can go distances comfortably with passengers and luggage and are weatherproofed; not like a racecar, sportscar, microcar, bumper car, clown car.

Up to now, rallying has always used "series production (grand) touring cars" as the basis for rally cars, even if extensions changed the outcome into racecars.

New rules say manufacturers and tuners can build. Nothing clear yet says who can be a tuner, if they need manufacturer relationship or if they have to make theirs available for sale. But if you allow concepts as well as tuners, it must be because the manufacturers don't exist. So there may be a Toyota GR Rally1 (concept) or a Toyota Gr Yaris Rally1 (production), or even a Motorsport Forums Rally1. If they have that then Porsche, Maserati and Bentley can do their thing too, if they want.
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi

11. Likes: Morte66 (1st March 2024)
    Liked 191 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becher View Post
    If that Caymen is a Rally 1 chassis with Caymen look alike bodywork yes.
    Ah-hah, I think I get it.

If they enter an actual Cayman with a roll cage and different shocks and so on, it has to go in the GT class which has rules designed to stop it from winning anything except the GT class.

But if they put a Cayman silhouette on a Rally 1 chassis, they can be a new manufacturer in Rally 1 competing for rally wins with a pretty sports car. [I like pretty sports cars.]

Alas, I expect they'd use a Macan silhouette if they actually did this...

Liked 404 Times in 213 Posts
    Ah-hah, I think I get it.

If they enter an actual Cayman with a roll cage and different shocks and so on, it has to go in the GT class which has rules designed to stop it from winning anything except the GT class.

But if they put a Cayman silhouette on a Rally 1 chassis, they can be a new manufacturer in Rally 1 competing for rally wins with a pretty sports car. [I like pretty sports cars.]

Alas, I expect they'd use a Macan silhouette if they actually did this...
    In that sense nothing changed in the regulations, Porsche could have entered already with a scaled Macan silhouette on a Rally1 chassis.