Page 46 of 84 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
    Liked 616 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluuford View Post
    And now, what is the final classification you refer to? :P Saturday final? points per event final? etc. confusing...
    How long have you been doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Regs
    2.8 END OF THE RALLY
    The rally ends upon posting of the Final Classification. The competition element of the rally finishes at the final time control.

64. RALLY RESULTS
    64.1 ESTABLISHING RESULTS
    The results are established by adding together all the special
    stage times and all the time penalties incurred on road sections
    together with all other penalties expressed in time.
    64.2 PUBLICATION OF RESULTS
    During the rally, the classifications to be published will be as follows:
    64.2.1 Provisional Classification: classification published by the
    organiser at the end of the rally, subject to final scrutineering.
    64.2.2 Final Classification: classification approved by the Stewards.
    There's no suggestion the supplementary regs/itinerary/format/organisation etc of a rally need to change. We've only been reading about the application of championship points.
    Last edited by WRCStan; 16th December 2023 at 13:55.

2. Likes: Kenneth (16th December 2023)
    Liked 167 Times in 94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    How long have you been doing this?

There's no suggestion the supplementary regs/itinerary/format/organisation etc of a rally need to change. We've only been reading about the application of championship points.
    Shouldn't the win be the end goal of any competition? How can it be a win if it's not a guaranteed best outcome for a competitor. It' just moronic. You can call it a win, a pepsi, a Putin or whatever you like. It's not a win if it doesn't count for anything. And anyone who gets this bullshit explained to him will say its retarded

4. Likes: m-ast (16th December 2023),seb_sh (16th December 2023)
    Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    How long have you been doing this? .
    too long... I am just wondering that If I have been quite closely involved in Rally for ca 15 years, been on site for last ca 6+ years for nearly every event.. and I cannot clearly understand..
    let me try once more to understand now..

Classification for max 18 points are locked when cars go parc Ferme on Saturday evening..
    Then there is separate classification for Sunday, you get max 7+5 points. And then rally finishes. So, now you take Saturday time+ Sunday time and you get final classification? That also declares rally winner, but it has nothing to do with the points. So, that means you can be fourth on Saturday (maybe roadsweeping onf Friday, les Sweeping on Saturday), you get 10 points. You are second fastest on Sunday, get 5th place on powerstage and you collect 7 points on Sunday but you win the rally in overall time. So you get 17 points. One point less than winner by the end of Saturday + possible points for this person on Sunday. So, finally there is no more clear relation between rally winner and who is collecting max points for rally..
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

6. Likes: becher (16th December 2023),EstWRC (16th December 2023),ipe (17th December 2023),seb_sh (16th December 2023),WRC1 (16th December 2023),WRCStan (16th December 2023)
    Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    I think it may achieve the goal to reduce cruising on Sunday, but not eliminate it completely and also preserves an endurance aspect by needing to finish Sunday, but boy does it feel contrived. Also I'm not sure there's a good way to decide the winner of the rally!

If winner = leader after Saturday then as bluuford pointed out the winner could receive fewer points than 2nd or 3rd or maybe even lower
    If winner = leader of the aggregate Friday, Saturday and Sunday overall standings, then the winner is decided by a classification which does not award points. Again the winner could leave with fewer points.
    If winner = most points scored then it feels more like a round of ERC plus a Rally sprint with a power stage added together.

It would be stupid if the winner of the rally goes away with fewer points than somebody else, that's not a winner that's called a sucker...

8. Likes: WRC1 (16th December 2023)
    Liked 11,153 Times in 4,428 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JRodrigues View Post
    So, 2024 sporting regulations are out and big news!

points for Friday and Saturday only;
    points for Sunday only;
    points for Power Stage

18/15/13/10/8/6/4/3/2/1 on Friday/Saturday;
    7/6/5/4/3/2/1 on Sunday
    5/4/3/2/1 for Power Stage

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/fi...ec_2023_v2.pdf
    I don't know how to comment on that. Just imagine how many people spent their well paid time to finally come to this.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

10. Likes: focus206 (16th December 2023),seb_sh (16th December 2023),the sniper (17th December 2023)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,687 Posts
    And here I am coming with my first thoughts about words with changes in regulations. First we must say what we really wants. I know that this idea with separate classification for Sunday came also from drivers, but I am thinking how this version should help to anything...

For me, the most stupid thing is not to have points for drivers who are fastest in whole rally. This is the most easiest and understandable way for everybody in all sports - winner is competitor who is fastest from beginning till the end.

We were discussing few years ago points system in czech championship also. I think we have found a system which is not completely bad and much better than this one - we have separate points for each leg (15 for winning each leg) and also classification of the whole rally (30 points). So points for winning the rally are equal to points for winning both legs. It is much easier and understandable.

This version of WRC points is one big shit for me. Too complicated for everybody and absolutely hard to understand. I cannot imagine how this can help to anything. Only to bring WRC to deeper shit than it is now...

12. Likes: seb_sh (16th December 2023)
    Liked 616 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kras View Post
    Shouldn't the win be the end goal of any competition? How can it be a win if it's not a guaranteed best outcome for a competitor. It' just moronic. You can call it a win, a pepsi, a Putin or whatever you like. It's not a win if it doesn't count for anything. And anyone who gets this bullshit explained to him will say its retarded
    Fair opinion. But winning the rally will have it's own prize awarded by the organiser. FIA championship can be seen as a different objective, like how Burns and Ogier won titles driving smart with only two wins.

Realistically we might not see an occasion where the winner is outscored. I might put that in a prediction thread. Or, there may be occasions where the non-winning highest point scorer is fully deserved.

It might not work well, but FIA and promoter are doing *something*. Those people who complained for years that they need to do *something* need to stop living in fantasy land and be realistic about what is achievable.

Liked 238 Times in 125 Posts
    Imagine driver A is first after Saturday. He has 18 points. So he decides to cruise on Sunday, but all the other drivers will push. He will end 7th that day and overall gets 19 points. Also, because he cruised, he fell to 4th place overall, but that has no impact on points.

Driver B on the other hand would have issues in the first leg and end up 5th after Saturday. He will get 8 points for that, so he decides to push on Sunday. He would end 2nd overall after Sunday, and as the fastest driver of that day, he would get 7 points for the leg and 5 points for PS win. Overall, he would get 20 points for the event.

Then we have a very consistent driver C. He will finish 1st leg on 2nd place behind driver A, gaining him 15 points. Then he would want to gain more points on Sunday, he would be 2nd that day and 2nd in PS, that would gain him 6+4 points he would get 25 points overall and would be the winner of the rally.

I didn't like it at first, but it looks to me like a pretty solid point system that awards speed and consistency through the whole rally (as it kinda soft delete time gaps on Sunday). Maybe it would be better if points were rewarded also for the overall results after Sunday (even if it would be 5-4-3-2-1) and if there weren't PS points. I think there won't be many situations where overall winners wouldn't get the most points. But it's true that it's pretty complicated on first sight.
    Last edited by Kenneth; 16th December 2023 at 14:52.

Liked 33 Times in 15 Posts
    Who will be a winner of the rally, driver with a best overall time or driver with more points!

Liked 177 Times in 108 Posts
    For me it is quite good point system, BUT there is ONE BIG ERROR.. WINNING RALLY IS NOT SO VALUABLE NOW.. THATS WRONG!!