Page 57 of 84 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
    Liked 403 Times in 251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    I tried to imagine Becsy and Porter trying to make heads and tails of everything, I'm eagerly awaiting to hear it live
    As with every one of their broadcasts, their vocabulary won’t stretch much further than “Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Oooooooooooooo”

2. Likes: Eli (28th December 2023),the sniper (28th December 2023)
    Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    I don't think anyone is actually confused about who the rally winner is.
    That's exactly what was said.

Ending the rally on Saturday and having Sunday Super Sprint would have worked as well. Both would have been more straightforward. That's the point.
    You're then creating two or three events, a paperwork disaster for everybody involved from permits to insurances etc. You're also shitting on the organiser's event, the start-to-finish rally that still exists for everybody else from WRC2 to funtime driver. How do you enforce everybody to take part on the Sunday if they can't be bothered...

I think there is good reason it hasn't been done like this. Possible in the future but too quick a change now to be fair.

About the coverage, I'm not sure it's going to be as straightforward. On Sunday they may focus on the leg standings as that's what actually gives out points. During the powers stage there are 3 relevant standings: PS itself which gives points, Sunday leg which gives points and Rally Overall which doesn't give points but determines the winner. Afterwards a fourth classification is relevant for the biggest points reward: Saturday standings but only the cars that finished the rally. I tried to imagine Becsy and Porter trying to make heads and tails of everything, I'm eagerly awaiting to hear it live
    Fair point, on screen graphics will have to be clear, and commentary will have to be mentally switched on. So I wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't focus on Sunday scores much. It could just be 5-10 seconds per graphic at the end of each stage. 'Here are the stage results', 'Here are the leg standings', 'Here are the rally standings'.

Else, by the time they get to cameras in WRC2 cars it will be an absolute fkinc mess.

It's easier than trying to understand that a Rally2 car is winning the class but is not nominated for WRC2 but is 8th overall so will score WRC points.
    Last edited by WRCStan; 28th December 2023 at 11:00.

Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    That's exactly what was said.

You're then creating two or three events, a paperwork disaster for everybody involved from permits to insurances etc. You're also shitting on the organiser's event, the start-to-finish rally that still exists for everybody else from WRC2 to funtime driver. How do you enforce everybody to take part on the Sunday if they can't be bothered...

I think there is good reason it hasn't been done like this. Possible in the future but too quick a change now to be fair.

Fair point, on screen graphics will have to be clear, and commentary will have to be mentally switched on. So I wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't focus on Sunday scores much. It could just be 5-10 seconds per graphic at the end of each stage. 'Here are the stage results', 'Here are the leg standings', 'Here are the rally standings'.

Else, by the time they get to cameras in WRC2 cars it will be an absolute fkinc mess.

It's easier than trying to understand that a Rally2 car is winning the class but is not nominated for WRC2 but is 8th overall so will score WRC points.
    How would giving extra points for Sunday be a different event? It's the current solution without the nonsense Saturday points.

Fair enough about the organisers needing heads-up to have a separate Sunday sprint but the FIA had plenty of time to do something, Sunday cruising is there for years and years...

How would giving extra points for Sunday be a different event? It's the current solution without the nonsense Saturday points.
    (I quoted) Ending the rally on Saturday and having a separate Sunday Sprint causes multiple events, administration issues and questionable participation question for lower classes. If they do a third, "full length" rally; they are not doing a WRC rally. There will therefore remain only one rally for the foreseeable future.

A Power Sunday within existing start-to-finish points system obviously didn't appeal to them. I can only imagine because this doesn't reset the risk and incentives across the board - crews and manufacturers. Only a fresh clean start from 0 is best for answering the root problem statement: how to get all entertainment class cars entertaining on a Sunday. It eliminates the possibility of team orders or drivers deciding on the rally or the sprint. If you retain 25 for the win and a token for the sprint, 5 points say? You might as well do nothing, just not radical enough, it is not an incentive.

What they delivered is the only way to reset to 0 and remain in the one rally.

Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Only a fresh clean start from 0 is best for answering the root problem statement: how to get all entertainment class cars entertaining on a Sunday. It eliminates the possibility of team orders or drivers deciding on the rally or the sprint. If you retain 25 for the win and a token for the sprint, 5 points say? You might as well do nothing, just not radical enough, it is not an incentive.

What they delivered is the only way to reset to 0 and remain in the one rally.
    Ok, I think you are right that this is what they think and is how they got to this solution, however I think that they are wrong and that they were a minute late and a dollar short as always which limited their options. I hope I'm wrong but I think there will be a some awkward rallies and stage end interviews. Not long until we start finding out.

Liked 144 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/n...rmat/10560871/

Maybe someone will listen, specifically about having tarmac night stages.
    Nice ideas here!

Liked 144 Times in 87 Posts
    All this fuzz about point system...
    They would better make sure the fans get to see more action! Both live on events, (compact, and accessible timing) and by difrent media channels.

New point system is not going to attract new fans..

9. Likes: AndyRAC (28th December 2023)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    New point system is not going to attract new fans..
    Agree, but it could go some way to retain existing fans.

Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    Agree, but it could go some way to retain existing fans.
    Let us know when you find them. They've really gone out of their way to serve that segment of the audience, it'd be nice if we could actually identify who was captivated by these changes who was going elsewhere otherwise.

12. Likes: AndyRAC (29th December 2023)
    Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    I'm going off topic now and really should be in the pub thread, maybe.

But... wouldn't this kind of a low point of WRC present another opportunity for someone to prop up an alternative championship?
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.