Page 77 of 84 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
    Liked 380 Times in 185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becher View Post
    In that sense nothing changed in the regulations, Porsche could have entered already with a scaled Macan silhouette on a Rally1 chassis.
    But with the new rules, you don't need Porsche to sign off on it as I understand it.

2. Likes: becher (3rd March 2024),Maui J. (4th March 2024)
    Liked 1,481 Times in 844 Posts
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    A £5000 parts kit that will let a Rally2(+) driver get close to a Rally1(-) car next year. Surely it cant be that cheap & easy. And if it was, why would a WRC1 manufacturer sell it and create more competition for their Rally1 car drivers ?

Liked 238 Times in 125 Posts
    I suppose that without a WEC-style BoP, Rally1 will always have an edge thanks to better balance, weight, center of gravity etc.

6. Likes: steve.mandzij (3rd March 2024)
    Liked 846 Times in 407 Posts
    I suppose it would be cool if that's how the category worked: Rally2+ vs new Rally1 sort of like late Grp A vs early WRC

Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Class wise, it'll be more old Rally1 v new Rally1.5 until old Rally1 becomes the newer Rally1.5 and the new Rally1.5 is scrapped - according to Dirtfish.

Unless you get a new 2026 Rally1 (Rally1.5 level), and there's no incentive for the current manus to do that, you won't see parity.
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi

Liked 2,129 Times in 924 Posts
    That 5000 price tag for ,,wrc-kit'' sounds more than unreal..
    If so then how do you explain the difference..
    -300k rally2 + 5k wrc-kit (that is very close to rally1 car)
    vs
    -ca 400k rally1 car

Where does that 100k go in the rally1 then..? If the rally2+ is supposed to be really close to top class..

Other than that, I am waiting for the next seasons

Liked 101 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrvold View Post
    But with the new rules, you don't need Porsche to sign off on it as I understand it.
    That's my understanding as well, especially with 'tuners' mentioned. This is great news if it's true. Something I've mentioned on this forum for years... ditch the manufacturer approval. Let the tuners develop, build and then go rallying in the car of their choice. It may work, or they may fail terribly, but at least it will add some flavour to the cake.
    And if a tuner's car does well, it may encourage the manufacturers to take note and possibly back them. Bring it on.

Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrvold View Post
    Yes you would because you're making something that looks like a Porsche and probably calling it a Porsche but it isn't a Porsche and putting it in the public eye.

Ain't happening in Rally1, very different to taking an actual Porsche and 'tuning' it for R-GT.
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi

12. Likes: becher (4th March 2024)
    Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
    That 5000 price tag for ,,wrc-kit'' sounds more than unreal..
    If so then how do you explain the difference..
    -300k rally2 + 5k wrc-kit (that is very close to rally1 car)
    vs
    -ca 400k rally1 car

Where does that 100k go in the rally1 then..? If the rally2+ is supposed to be really close to top class..

Other than that, I am waiting for the next seasons
    That's complete misunderstanding of how any small scale production works. I tried to explain in another thread some time ago so sorry for repeating myself.

The far majority of the price of any part is the development cost. You can bolt a cheap thing on a car but first you need to spend huge sum to develop the car. The reason why Rally2 car is cheaper than Rally1 is the production volume. Unlike Rally1 the Rally2 work on market basis. If you build 5 Rally2 cars per season and sell none the price of one car will be most likely similar to the Rally1 car.

Also don't forget that the performance of any car is mainly driven by the rules. If by rules you design a hybrid-powered rocket with large restrictor and than remove the hybrid and make the restrictor smaller to fit the speed of cheaply upgraded Rally2 cars you automatically get a car which is grossly overpriced. But that's not an error in the design. The error is in the change of the rules and in this case FIA deliberately chose to make the Rally1 cars look ridiculous for the one season before new cars come.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

14. Likes: jcevc (5th March 2024),TWRC (5th March 2024)