Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Liked 1,481 Times in 844 Posts
    Some more great news with Mads Østberg being there too!
    https://dirtfish.com/rally/erc/ostbe...uropean-title/
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

2. Likes: Jarek Z (27th March 2024),lancia037 (28th March 2024),saco0o (28th March 2024),skarderud (27th March 2024)
    Liked 5,566 Times in 2,299 Posts
    Armstrong unveils ERC attack with M-Sport

Jon Armstrong is set to challenge for the 2024 European Rally Championship driving an M-Sport prepared Ford Fiesta Rally2. The programme continues Armstrong’s strong relationship with the Cumbrian rally team as he steps up from recent Rally3 successes.
    The reigning ERC3 champion has teamed up with co-driver Eoin Treacy for the eight-round campaign. Their maiden championship in a Rally2 car will start on April’s Rally Hungary.
    “It is a dream come true to have the opportunity to complete a full year behind the wheel of a Rally2 car,” commented Armstrong. “We’ve been working on this for numerous years and I’m very grateful to M-Sport for the opportunity along with support from the Motorsport Ireland Rally Academy, Seacon UK, C&M Motorsport Sales, and all of my close partners.
    “It is brilliant to be working closely with Eoin [Treacy] and the MI Academy this year and I am really proud to be representing the rallying community at home.
    “I am excited to collaborate with the other MI Academy members and to work towards our goals together.”
    Last year brought Armstrong to ERC’s forefront after recording five dominant ERC3 victories in a row on a mix of gravel and asphalt events on his way to the category title. He made a sole Rally2 start on the Royal Rally of Scandinavia, once again exemplifying Armstrong’s talent and tenacity, helping him tie together this season’s campaign with M-Sport.
    “Jon’s achievements in 2023 exemplify the talent and potential we strive to support at M-Sport,” said M-Sport UK Chairman Malcolm Wilson. “Our philosophy has always centred on identifying and nurturing young drivers, providing them with the platform to excel at the highest levels of rallying.
    “Jon’s progression so far and this new chapter with us for the 2024 ERC is a testament to our tradition of fostering talent and ambition in the sport.”
    Armstrong’s first overseas success came in the World Rally Championship’s 2016 Drive DMACK Cup where he claimed victories on Rally Poland and Rally Catalunya in a Ford Fiesta R2T. The 29-year-old’s Ford Fiesta R5 debut arrived a year later with two impressive WRC2 outings in Germany and Spain, including his first fastest WRC2 stage time.
    Two years in Junior WRC from 2021 to 2022 gave Armstrong three event wins and 54 fastest stage times - missing out on the lucrative title on both occasions by the narrowest of margins.
    Time in M-Sport Poland’s Ford Fiesta Rally4 and Rally3 cars was crucial in Armstrong’s progression on the world stage. To represent M-Sport at Rally2 level was always the ideal next step.
    “I have driven M-Sport-built cars in all but one season since I began rallying,” explained Armstrong. “M-Sport was 100% where I wanted to be.
    “For Malcolm and Rich [Millener] to give me the opportunity to drive for M-Sport is a dream come true and I must give a special mention to M-Sport Poland and Maciek Woda who have been fundamental in supporting me in recent seasons.”
    Now, Armstrong’s full focus is on the highly competitive European Rally Championship. He has already spent several days with M-Sport getting up to speed with the Ford Fiesta Rally2 having spent the last couple of years driving M-Sport Poland’s Rally3 variant.
    “ERC is an intense challenge,” described Armstrong, “with a very high standard in terms of drivers and lots of competition.
    “I see it as the ideal place to prove myself, the team, and the car.
    “Each rally has its own unique character and especially this season there’s some new events that should keep everyone on their toes.”

Richard Millener, M-Sport WRC Team Principal:
    “I have known Jon for a long time now and I am really happy to see him in one of our cars competing at the top level of the sport.
    “I mentioned Jon’s name to Malcolm a number of years ago as one to watch, and to see him being given this chance makes me really happy.
    “Jon really showed last year what he is capable of, and although the top category of the ERC will be a completely different scale challenge – I am sure him and Eoin will be able to deliver some strong results by using a sensible approach to each event.”

John Coyne, Patron of the Motorsport Ireland Rally Academy:
    “I have personally supported Jon’s rallying since 2020 and have been delighted with the progress he has made in applying his innate talent and developing his driving and event management skills.
    “I am pleased that he is now eligible for academy support and I am confident that our structured programmes, along with the backing of the M-Sport team, will help propel him to the next level of performance at the top tier of the ERC.
    “With direct experience of Eoin’s capabilities in the co-driver seat, I know he will bring a further edge to Jon’s performance.
    “With Josh McErlean and William Creighton in WRC2, Eamonn Kelly in Junior WRC, and now Jon at the top level in ERC, we are demonstrating that Ireland has an abundance of talented athletes, who can effectively compete on the world stage, given the right opportunities, guidance, and support.”

2024 European Rally Championship calendar:
    R1 - Rally Hungary (Gravel) // 12-14 April
    R2 - Rally Islas Canarias (Asphalt) // 02-04 May
    R3 - Royal Rally of Scandinavia (Gravel) // 13-15 June
    R4 - Rally Estonia (Gravel) // 05-07 July
    R5 - Rally di Roma Capitale (Asphalt) // 26-28 July
    R6 - Barum Czech Rally Zlin (Asphalt) // 16-18 August
    R7 - Rali Ceredigion (Asphalt) // 30 Aug - 01 Sep
    R8 - Rally Silesia (Asphalt) // 11-13 Oct

4. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (27th March 2024),Jarek Z (27th March 2024),lancia037 (28th March 2024),MarkT (27th March 2024),saco0o (28th March 2024),Sal yet again (27th March 2024),TWRC (27th March 2024)
    Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Anyone heard anything about Jon Armstrong's plans for 2024 ?
    It's taken a while but this is what I wanted to hear... brilliant news !

6. Likes: Jarek Z (27th March 2024)
    Liked 403 Times in 251 Posts
    As always from M-Sport, very nice livery!

8. Likes: Jarek Z (27th March 2024)
    Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
    Great news for ERC lately !!!

10. Likes: Jarek Z (27th March 2024)
    Liked 116 Times in 55 Posts
    wow, great news for ERC !

Sesks - Toyota, Paddon - Hyundai, Armstrong - Ford, Ostberg- Citroen, Larsen - VW, and someone fast in Skoda. Super interesting championship and events ahead of us !

12. Likes: Jarek Z (27th March 2024)
    Liked 3,297 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Negaiss View Post
    someone fast in Skoda
    How about Franceschi?
    https://www.skoda-motorsport.com/en/...g-for-laurels/
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    In addition to this also Marczyk with Skoda and Heikkila with Toyota.

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
    and lukyanuk in canarias.

Liked 304 Times in 214 Posts
    Can't wait for Rally Hungary to start