Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: British GP 2023

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Well how thing have changed....

Amazing to see the McLarens up there in the top spots based on actual pace in both qually and the race. Both of them got great starts as well, and Lando had the chance to lead his home GP for a couple laps at least. It seems the delta to RB was also less than in previous races, though it may be a fluke that McLaren was the one that gave Max at least a bit more of a challenge and made him work for it a bit. Things could change over the coming races, but it seems the competition is at least getting closer to the pointy edge at some races. Well deserved finishing positions for both drivers, even though Oscar did nothing wrong to lose that podium step. It must be a huge boost for the team to have such a weekend.

Merc seem to have at least made up ground with the upgrades overall. Even if not consistent strength, they can dice with AM and Ferrari more often. If McLaren gets into the mix, it could get even more fun to watch for those top positions. I'm not quite sure what went on with Lewis, he didn't struggle to get the pass done on Alonso but after that made no more ground really. George had a good race as well, just less fortune on the safety car this time.

I was also very impressed with the Williams upgrades and how Albon has done well lately. Logan is doing better as well. But Alex much be through the roof to both qualify and finish in the top 10, and he seems to be gaining confidence in the car.

Donkeys of the race were Ferrari IMHO. Though they might be harder on the tires, they still kind of blew it in the pit strategies. They need to roll the dice and give the drivers a fighting chance now and then at least.

Sergio is all but done probably. Too many races where he can't put that car where it belongs.

2. Likes: Bagwan (10th July 2023),Mia 01 (10th July 2023)
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Well how thing have changed....

Amazing to see the McLarens up there in the top spots based on actual pace in both qually and the race. Both of them got great starts as well, and Lando had the chance to lead his home GP for a couple laps at least. It seems the delta to RB was also less than in previous races, though it may be a fluke that McLaren was the one that gave Max at least a bit more of a challenge and made him work for it a bit. Things could change over the coming races, but it seems the competition is at least getting closer to the pointy edge at some races. Well deserved finishing positions for both drivers, even though Oscar did nothing wrong to lose that podium step. It must be a huge boost for the team to have such a weekend.

Merc seem to have at least made up ground with the upgrades overall. Even if not consistent strength, they can dice with AM and Ferrari more often. If McLaren gets into the mix, it could get even more fun to watch for those top positions. I'm not quite sure what went on with Lewis, he didn't struggle to get the pass done on Alonso but after that made no more ground really. George had a good race as well, just less fortune on the safety car this time.

I was also very impressed with the Williams upgrades and how Albon has done well lately. Logan is doing better as well. But Alex much be through the roof to both qualify and finish in the top 10, and he seems to be gaining confidence in the car.

Donkeys of the race were Ferrari IMHO. Though they might be harder on the tires, they still kind of blew it in the pit strategies. They need to roll the dice and give the drivers a fighting chance now and then at least.

Sergio is all but done probably. Too many races where he can't put that car where it belongs.
    Yea, what a drive from Lando? I thought Hamilton had him at one point but he dug in and powered away. The car has been transformed.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 11th July 2023 at 18:15.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

4. Likes: airshifter (11th July 2023)
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    With those hard tires, I thought he was toast. But Lando managed to keep Lewis behind long enough to put some heat in the tires and make it work. It seemed a crazy call from the team, but they had the data so maybe they knew something we don't.

The gap to Alpine in the WCC isn't all that large, if they can pull off some similar weekends they might pull out 4th in the WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    With those hard tires, I thought he was toast. But Lando managed to keep Lewis behind long enough to put some heat in the tires and make it work. It seemed a crazy call from the team, but they had the data so maybe they knew something we don't.

The gap to Alpine in the WCC isn't all that large, if they can pull off some similar weekends they might pull out 4th in the WCC.
    The pack seems to be getting closer to the Redbull. But it may be due to the introduction of new tire compounds at Silverstone which no team had much experience with. Which makes the Mclaren gamble on the hards even more remarkable. The softs on Hamilton's Mercedes lost its life quicker than expected on a track like Silverstone which is not a heavily abrasive tarmac. The mediums did not help Russell any better to fight Piastri in the Mclaren on the hard tires.

These new Pirelli compounds are going to be useless on abrasive tracks. I think the new Mediums are going to be the Softs at abrasive tracks, and the new hards would be the mediums there also.

While it was great to see Mclaren looking very strong at Silverstone. Budapest would most likely be a better track to establish the true measure of their progress.

Oh, Ferrari! Oh, Ferrari! What can l say eh?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 13th July 2023 at 16:20.
    William Shakespeare

7. Likes: N. Jones (15th July 2023)
    Seeing how close Mclaren was to Redbull, at Silverstone, l think the next big upgrades from Aston Martin and Mercedes could bring them right on the tails of Verstappen. Maybe not Mercedes, they have given up on this season it appears.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Well, Albon confirmed that Williams are already working on next years car and look at what he has been doing.
    I don't think Merc shifting focus to next year should hurt them too much.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."