Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    This race holds so much promise to be the start of some sort of change in the competitive gaps between the front teams. This race is a mixture of engine grunt and cornering efficiency to be outright faster than the pack. The Mercedes should go well here but Redbull shall still be ahead by a good margin. Aston Martin would have their work cut out to keep the Mercedes behind. I wonder if Ferrari can recover some ground at this race, they are drifting backwards lately.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    The sprint format has been put out.

Friday will be qualifying for the race on Sunday
    Modified (shorter) qualifying rounds on Saturday for the sprint race.
    Sprint Race on Saturday - 17 laps. 8 points for the winner, 1 point for 8th
    Sprint race does not effect the Sunday race.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    The sprint format has been put out.

Friday will be qualifying for the race on Sunday
    Modified (shorter) qualifying rounds on Saturday for the sprint race.
    Sprint Race on Saturday - 17 laps. 8 points for the winner, 1 point for 8th
    Sprint race does not effect the Sunday race.
    So , yeah good idea they've got there .
    Why not add a qualifying session ?
    And why not make it shorter , so as to make the drivers even more under pressure to get a fast time for the sprint grid ?

Why not do it instead of practice sessions , so they have less time to get the cars set to the driver's preferences ?

And , why not do it the same day , so the drivers must deal with different conditions in the afternoon sun ?

And , last but not least , why not put the first test of the new format in a tight , walled track like Baku ?

4. Likes: airshifter (27th April 2023),Tazio (27th April 2023)
    Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    So , yeah good idea they've got there .
    Why not add a qualifying session ?
    And why not make it shorter , so as to make the drivers even more under pressure to get a fast time for the sprint grid ?

Why not do it instead of practice sessions , so they have less time to get the cars set to the driver's preferences ?

And , why not do it the same day , so the drivers must deal with different conditions in the afternoon sun ?

And , last but not least , why not put the first test of the new format in a tight , walled track like Baku ?
    No need to be a pessimist Bagwan. I mean after all, they don't make them run a 10K foot race before the Sprint, so they haven't exhausted every single stupid idea yet!

I'm not fond of the Sprint thing, old format or new. All it does is show short term race pace with limited setup and fine tuning time. Once you watch the sprint, you have a pretty good idea of who has pace for the full length race. They can use the tire info some, but not much else. If they did say P1, Sprint, P2, Qualy, Race... and allowed changes after the Sprint, it might leave room where the Sprint would show other teams strengths and weaknesses with their competition. And then with a chance to change setups someone, try to overcome and capitalize on how to place better. But as is, it just feels like they are trying to cram in more laps, and the teams that get it closer to right at first will still be closer to right when the race happens.

Maybe, just maybe Bagwan, we can figure out how they do all this in one day. Add the foot race before the Sprint, and a brief boxing match just before the main race commences. Those that win the boxing match have car selection. You match up in reverse grid order naturally, as this would be the only way to not make it appear artificial and just for the show feeling.

6. Likes: Bagwan (27th April 2023)
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    No need to be a pessimist Bagwan. I mean after all, they don't make them run a 10K foot race before the Sprint, so they haven't exhausted every single stupid idea yet!

I'm not fond of the Sprint thing, old format or new. All it does is show short term race pace with limited setup and fine tuning time. Once you watch the sprint, you have a pretty good idea of who has pace for the full length race. They can use the tire info some, but not much else. If they did say P1, Sprint, P2, Qualy, Race... and allowed changes after the Sprint, it might leave room where the Sprint would show other teams strengths and weaknesses with their competition. And then with a chance to change setups someone, try to overcome and capitalize on how to place better. But as is, it just feels like they are trying to cram in more laps, and the teams that get it closer to right at first will still be closer to right when the race happens.

Maybe, just maybe Bagwan, we can figure out how they do all this in one day. Add the foot race before the Sprint, and a brief boxing match just before the main race commences. Those that win the boxing match have car selection. You match up in reverse grid order naturally, as this would be the only way to not make it appear artificial and just for the show feeling.
    I like it , Shifter .
    If you add Bernie's sprinkler system around the track , and change the boxing to mud wrestling(the grid girls could use the work) , you might have enough to keep us all interested enough to watch .

I like it , Shifter .
    If you add Bernie's sprinkler system around the track , and change the boxing to mud wrestling(the grid girls could use the work) , you might have enough to keep us all interested enough to watch .
    I can tell, you are secretly loving it ha ha.

With the cost cap, any crashes could turn out to be very costly to Redbull especially, but it is the same for all teams. It makes you wonder if they have thought this through properly. I suppose we would see how it is going to turn out. It would be a great racing weekend. I have a feeling nobody would hold back.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 27th April 2023 at 18:19.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 578 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I can tell, you are secretly loving it ha ha.

With the cost cap, any crashes could turn out to be very costly to Redbull especially, but it is the same for all teams. It makes you wonder if they have thought this through properly. I suppose we would see how it is going to turn out. It would be a great racing weekend. I have a feeling nobody would hold back.
    Why RB especially? Won't they just go over it with impunity again?

With the shortened sprint qually , and only a few hours between it and racing , I expect a grid of 18 cars tomorrow .

I also expect sprint qually to take longer to complete than todays race qually .

F1 wasn't broken , yet they keep trying this stupid sprint idea to fix it .

Sorry , Charles , I should have congratulated your return to the pole , but I was distracted by the stupid sprint .

Nice to see the reds fighting back .

Sorry , Charles , I should have congratulated your return to the pole , but I was distracted by the stupid sprint .

Nice to see the reds fighting back .
    They don't have the race pace to keep the RedBulls behind. l think. But it is refreshing to see there is superior speed in that Ferrari. They just need to put all the pieces together and they shall be the team to beat again. But what a boost for Leclerc. The pecking order appears to be shaping out in Ferrari it seems.
    William Shakespeare