Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

Let's talk Aston Martin

Courtesy Independent

I sort of had a reservation on Aston Martin's showing in Bahrain. My initial thought was it was a flash in the pan and they would disappear back into the midfield where they once were. But why did l think that? Firstly, their step forward is so big compared to last year at Bahrain, about 2 seconds which is enormous by F1 standards. That is the sort of jump that one expects from Mercedes or Ferrari. Certainly, not a midfield jockey like Force India in Aston Martin green. And Jeddah shows that they actually have genuine pace and are faster than Mercedes and Ferrari. They are the closest challenger to the mighty Redbull.

Aston Martin has a factor that is evident in all previous F1 teams that have tasted the successes of winning world championships. That is having a commanding figure that steers the team towards success. At Mclaren it was Ron Dennis, Williams it was Frank Williams, Redbull, it was Dietrich Mateschitz and Mercedes had Niki Lauda. The ultimate commander was Enzo Ferrari. We can now add Lawrence Stroll to this illustrious list. He has repositioned what was Force India into a major brand named team and assembled a dream team of engineers that is showing all the signs that this team has the potential of becoming a world championship contender; possibly this season. But l really hope that can do so by next season at least.

Alonso has really demonstrated the pace of the car and l can see it improving as the season progresses. The season would certainly develop into a classic season if a situation of Verstappen vs Alonso duelling transpires. Throw in Perez to spice it up. I really hope they have not hit the max capability at this stage, l hope there is still more performance in that car.

I was even so impressed with Lance Stroll jumping in the car with all that pain from his injury to do so well in the top ten at Bahrain and Jeddah. Their rate of progress has got to be a worry for Redbull and certainly Mercedes and Ferrari. The question is can they find the performance hike to give Redbull a bit of bother as the season progresses? Alonso has been here before in the Ferrari fighting Vettel in the Redbull, surely he would relish another close fight with them.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 29th March 2023 at 11:14.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
    I think its more a three way tie for second. Unless the Red Bull team's reliability is more fragile than we think. Then all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by Used to be Starter View Post
    I think its more a three way tie for second. Unless the Red Bull team's reliability is more fragile than we think. Then all bets are off.
    That is how it seems at the moment. But l think there may be some changes when the first raft of updates arrives at the various teams by a quarter of the season.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Used to be Starter View Post
    I’m genuinely surprised by Aston Martin’s pace so far this year. Probably not as surprised as the boys over in the Merc garage though.

And Starter, my man, how’s it going?! Any plans to head to Summit Point or VIR this year?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 578 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Aston Martin has a factor that is evident in all previous F1 teams that have tasted the successes of winning world championships. That is having a commanding figure that steers the team towards success. At Mclaren it was Ron Dennis, Williams it was Frank Williams, Redbull, it was Dietrich Mateschitz and Mercedes had Niki Lauda. The ultimate commander was Enzo Ferrari. We can now add Lawrence Stroll to this illustrious list.
    Sorry, what? After two races where Fernando Alonso - one of the most formidable racers in F1 history - has managed to drag one of his cars onto the bottom step of the podium, you're anointing Lawrence 'bought a team so that my boy has a permanent seat in F1' Stroll as the heir of Enzo Ferrari?

Come on now. Put the glue down.

6. Likes: Bagwan (30th March 2023),gm99 (30th March 2023)
    Quote Originally Posted by ouvreur View Post
    Sorry, what? After two races where Fernando Alonso - one of the most formidable racers in F1 history - has managed to drag one of his cars onto the bottom step of the podium, you're anointing Lawrence 'bought a team so that my boy has a permanent seat in F1' Stroll as the heir of Enzo Ferrari?

I see your point, he is not in the class of Enzo or Mateschitz yet as the Aston Martin has not won any of the F1 championship titles yet. But he has dragged that team to a level higher than it had ever achieved in all its previous guises. Since Mercedes is eating Aston Martin dust at the moment is worthy of some appreciation. He had the vision to bring Alonso into the team, so it is not all Alonso. It also the great team of engineers that has produced a car that is capable of beating Ferrari and Mercedes. And they certainly have their sights on Redbull now.

Yes, l do get carried away sometimes :-)
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 30th March 2023 at 10:13.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 578 Times in 196 Posts
    I see your point, he is not in the class of Enzo or Mateschitz yet as the Aston Martin has not won any of the F1 championship titles yet. But he has dragged that team to a level higher than it had ever achieved in all its previous guises. That Mercedes is eating Aston Martin dust is worthy of some appreciation. He had the vision to bring Alonso into the team, som it is not all Alonso. It also the great team of engineers that has produced a car that is capable of beating Ferrari and Mercedes. And they certainly have their sights on Redbull.

This is a team that has won races in the past, don't forget... 4 of them as Jordan... in 1999 they were legitimate championship chasers, capable of winning races on merit.

For Lawrence Stroll's undeniable vision, he has a significant blind spot when it comes to his kid. He's not a bad driver by any stretch of the imagination, but he's not someone that any other team would be in a rush to put in their car (unless of course he was bringing daddy's money along with him for the ride). Better drivers are available, or at least affordable.

They've done a good job of this year's car, that much is undeniable, but they're hardly kicking Ferrari or Mercedes' heads in. You'd have an easier time arguing Ferrari and Mercedes are kicking their own heads in, than being made to eat Aston Martin's dust. Any dust presently being eaten appears to be on an entirely voluntary basis.

As for being able to keep up with or beat Red Bull, that's another matter altogether, and one I'd be more confident in Ferrari and Mercedes eventually achieving this year than AM.

We're two races into the longest-ever season. Let's not get carried away. A good start does not guarantee a successful season overall.

9. Likes: airshifter (31st March 2023),Bagwan (30th March 2023),gm99 (30th March 2023)
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts

Just about sprayed coffee on the keyboard on that one .
    Thanks .

11. Likes: ouvreur (31st March 2023)
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts

Mind if we refer to this quote when you do ?

This is a team that has won races in the past, don't forget... 4 of them as Jordan... in 1999 they were legitimate championship chasers, capable of winning races on merit.

For Lawrence Stroll's undeniable vision, he has a significant blind spot when it comes to his kid. He's not a bad driver by any stretch of the imagination, but he's not someone that any other team would be in a rush to put in their car (unless of course he was bringing daddy's money along with him for the ride). Better drivers are available, or at least affordable.

They've done a good job of this year's car, that much is undeniable, but they're hardly kicking Ferrari or Mercedes' heads in. You'd have an easier time arguing Ferrari and Mercedes are kicking their own heads in, than being made to eat Aston Martin's dust. Any dust presently being eaten appears to be on an entirely voluntary basis.

As for being able to keep up with or beat Red Bull, that's another matter altogether, and one I'd be more confident in Ferrari and Mercedes eventually achieving this year than AM.

We're two races into the longest-ever season. Let's not get carried away. A good start does not guarantee a successful season overall.
    I am not sure why you are making this about Lance. What we are talking about is that this is the first time that this rendition of this team has had a real chance of a sniff at world championship title contention. It is a great F1 story and it would be a fairytale if they can at least finish second or even third in the championship. That would be an immense achievement, judging by where they have come from in the depths of the midfield. Not to mention the stiff competition they are likely to face in the near future from Mercedes and Ferrari.

However, l admit it is too early to be putting out praises. It is only two races in and the season is potentially full of twists and turns yet to unfold. Watch this space though.

A revisit of Hamilton vs Alonso would be a great spectacle to behold. Assuming Mercedes can find their mojo.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 30th March 2023 at 17:42.
    William Shakespeare