Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    How is a five-seconds penalty fair on a rolling last lap? Ferrari would not be impressed. A five seconds penalty only makes sense under active competitive conditions. In a controlled situation where all cars are bunched up, such a penalty translates to almost 30 seconds penalty compared to in-race situation.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd April 2023 at 07:27.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Lost in all the bs, a very good race by the boss. The Merc was a good car here

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    May the forza be with you

3. Likes: truefan72 (2nd April 2023)
    Fred.......The wily old Fox ....

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Sainz is the pure donkey of the race

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was not intentional, Alonso sort of moved into his path. Yes, he could have taken avoiding action but how would he know what is going on behind him that may also take him out? It was a racing incident. The stewards are being heavy-handed here. A blame mentality going on l think.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd April 2023 at 07:36.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    Lost in all the bs, a very good race by the boss. The Merc was a good car here

That really surprised me to see they had real pace at this track. There is inherent untapped performance in the W14. Not a crappy car after all.
    William Shakespeare

7. Likes: Tazio (2nd April 2023)
    Classic podium, congrats to all the Boyz
    Feel bad for Gas', and Oc'. Sucks to be Alpine
    Last edited by Tazio; 2nd April 2023 at 07:43.

9. Likes: Mia 01 (2nd April 2023)
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Strange race start to finish really.

The early safety car to red flag situation leaves some cars out to dry for pitting early, then essentially everyone end up on hards. I'm not really sure that first red flag was warranted, but Albon did kick up a lot of gravel. Sucks for a Williams to be placed that high on merit and go out like that. Sucked for George having the engine let go as well, and not something common for the Mercs.

Some good racing to be had after the restart, but a lot of people are somewhat in tire preservation mode, waiting to see who blinks first. And every time someone blinks, the cars up front pick up pace and for the most part keep the order, at least towards the front of the field. I think the only person likely to make any spot up before that last red flag was Perez, and then just maybe. The cars towards the front seemed able to respond to any real challenge, and they all seemed to have some tire life left to fight if need be.

As for the ending chaos, just that. Even the incident was strange. I think KMag must have just lost the track in the sun, as he didn't seem to correct at all and just kind of drove into the wall. From there it all went sideways with yet another standing start, and as is not uncommon with standing starts contact through the first corner. When all the dust settles, Alpine looses out big time with both cars out. Sainz and Ferrari lose out big time with the penalty given but no chance to defend against everyone stacking behind him.

As for the penalty itself, I think Ferrari should push the issue. No doubt Carlos made the contact that started the chaos. But had it been the first lap it would have been considered a racing incident. Or probably even the second restart. But in any case its' known that standing starts often create contact at the first turn or two. Ferrari could easily provide evidence that equal or greater contact on the first turn is often considered a racing incident. If the FIA doesn't want to risk those incidents, don't force a standing start. It will be interesting to see how they deal with it, as I think Fred is a different kind of animal and wise enough to push the issue.

Three world champs on the podium again for the first time in a while. All in all an interesting race, but some strange spins tossed into the mix. And up until that last red flag and the chaos at the end, 5 different manufacturers in the top 5 positions of the race, and not in orders we would really expect.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Tbh I think the penalty to Sainz was fair. He caused the chaos that affected 6 cars. I’m not sure what he was complaining about. Simply drove into Alonso and the carnage ensued. Even if it was the first lap he still would have gotten a penalty. Tbf Gasly should also have received a penalty as well for essentially taking out Ocon in the aftermath. If they Max and Hamilton had gone past the first sector before the red flag then Hulk would have gotten his first podium.
    The only certainty at the end was that the first 2 were going to maintain their positions and that sainz was going to get a penalty

you can't argue with results.

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Tbh I think the penalty to Sainz was fair. He caused the chaos that affected 6 cars. I’m not sure what he was complaining about. Simply drove into Alonso and the carnage ensued. Even if it was the first lap he still would have gotten a penalty. Tbf Gasly should also have received a penalty as well for essentially taking out Ocon in the aftermath. If they Max and Hamilton had gone past the first sector before the red flag then Hulk would have gotten his first podium.
    The only certainty at the end was that the first 2 were going to maintain their positions and that sainz was going to get a penalty

Alonso thinks it was a racing incident and the penalty was unfair. He would know.
    William Shakespeare

"Suicidal" restart......Ocon