Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Driver market Crazy season impending

It is not silly season yet, but a crazy season seems about to happen with Mercedes having such a crap start to the season for the second consecutive season. With frayed tempers evident behind the Mercedes closed doors, and Hamilton's contract not signed, the grapevine is he may jump ship and head to Ferrari.

Ferrari is not doing great either but seems most likely to bridge the gap to Redbull, so that makes sense. It is an open secret that Hamilton did not endorse the W13 and W14 chassis design, the W14 is showing all the hallmarks of being another dud. You do not have to be a seven times world champion to see that.

So, if Hamiton makes the move to Ferrari, assuming Ferrari wants him, this would set into motion some seismic driver movements from multiple teams. For a start which driver at Ferrari would lose his seat? Or should l say which driver would want to partner with Hamilton at Ferrari?

I suspect a swap between Leclere and Hamilton may take place. Or Norris would replace Hamilton with Sainz heading back to Mclaren. A more interesting scenario would be Nick Defries replacing Hamilton but leaving one of the Ferrari drivers looking for a seat. My guess would be Sainz which would put huge pressure on a number of drivers.

Somehow, l don't see it happening. Wolff and Hamilton have such a great relationship, l see them sorting out a solution. But this is F1, anything is possible. One thing is very clear, they need to make changes in the design department. Someone there is not going to provide Mercedes with a championship-winning car.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 15th March 2023 at 08:58.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: Mia 01 (15th March 2023)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Are Ferrari not happy with their driver line up...or is this just wishful thinking by yourself?

I don't see Ferrari/Hamilton as a good match for each other, I can't put my finger on exactly why... but I just can't see it. That would be a crazy weird to see. I also think Ferrari would rather have two young up and coming drivers rather than a super expensive former WDC who is now in his twilight years.

Even with any bad blood taken out of the equation.. A move to Red Bull is even more unlikely, well unless Max was ever tempted to sign for the Red team... as there is no way Lewis is ever going to beat Max as team mates... also, I cant see Red Bull paying Lewis's hefty wage demands. I guess AM might be a remote possibility but only if Fernando retires.. again unlikely given the half decent car.

I strongly suspect Lewis will finish his career with Merc... whether its one, two or even three seasons from now.. then maybe try and come back after a couple of years once he gets bored as we often see from retired drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Are Ferrari not happy with their driver line up...or is this just wishful thinking by yourself?

I don't see Ferrari/Hamilton as a good match for each other, I can't put my finger on exactly why... but I just can't see it. That would be a crazy weird to see. I also think Ferrari would rather have two young up and coming drivers rather than a super expensive former WDC who is now in his twilight years.

Even with any bad blood taken out of the equation.. A move to Red Bull is even more unlikely, well unless Max was ever tempted to sign for the Red team... as there is no way Lewis is ever going to beat Max as team mates... also, I cant see Red Bull paying Lewis's hefty wage demands. I guess AM might be a remote possibility but only if Fernando retires.. again unlikely given the half decent car.

I strongly suspect Lewis will finish his career with Merc... whether its one, two or even three seasons from now.. then maybe try and come back after a couple of years once he gets bored as we often see from retired drivers.
    I agree Hamilton may not go to Ferrari for other reasons than you mention. Ferrari would jump for the chance to give Hamilton a seat if there is a chance to do that. His immense experience could definitely help them turn their fortune around and make them a winning team again. But the stars have to align for that to happen. This is F1, anything is possible. Mind you, with two young drivers, the potential of becoming a world-championship-winning team is hit and miss but possible with a driver with the right mentality. To be honest, l see that mentality in Leclere.

Also, we must note that Ferrari had tried to rekindle their championship-winning ways with Alonso and Vettel without success. So they may be asking themselves if they want to go through that again. But Hamilton is a different proposition compared to Alonso and Vettel. Just the sheer number of titles to his name suggests that he would bring something vastly positive to Ferrari. Ferrari thrives with a dominant figure that is also capable of producing the desired results.

I think Ferrari and Hamilton are more aligned now than ever. Both are very hungry of winning a championship. Hence, this shared desire could throw them together if Mercedes cannot convince Hamilton that this repeated mistake of turning up with an embarrassing car would not happen again. Other than a shake-up in their design department, l have serious doubt they would convince Hamilton any different. So l would say lets wait and see.

On Redbull. l cannot see Hamilton going to Redbull either. Redbull has a championship-winning driver that is capable of winning the current 2023 championship and the next few if they provide him with a winning car. But, deep down they know that is only possible if Hamilton is not in a championship-winning car. Hamilton joining the team would only be disruptive to them as two prima donnas slugging it out would heighten tension in the Redbull garage. I think you are very mistaken to say Verstappen would beat Hamilton in the Redbull. Hamilton would be more than a threat to usurp Verstappen from winning any more titles if he had Hamilton in the same car, and he and Horner know it. The question is whether Redbull would rather have Hamilton in their car rather than have him fighting them in a Ferrari. The other question is, would Hamilton want to go to Redbull? I certainly would love to see Hamilton and Verstappen together in the Redbull for sake of establishing the relative talent of these two exceptional drivers.

I think Mercedes would be in for a shock if they do not take this threat seriously and expect Hamilton would happily accept staying with the team and hope they turn it around at some point eventually as they put it. Hamilton has experienced this at Mclaren 2008 - 2013 and saw Mclaren's performance gradually dwindle as the years pass. Hence, he would recognize that pattern and would recognize the need to make a change. So it is not inconceivable for Hamilton to move to another team with a better programme aimed at winning the championship.

The real question is where? Another question is can Mercedes bounce back?

Why is the Ferrari-Hamilton partnership likely to be worrisome for Redbull? A Hamilton move to Ferrari would inject Ferrari with new dynamics, and introduce a new crowd of people that Hamiton would have around him that would have the sort of Jean Todd - Ross Brawn effect that Schumacher brought to the Ferrari machinery. The potential effect of this mix is quite formidable and anyone at Ferrari with half a brain would see that.

By the way, l think winning the 8th title is more important to Hamilton than Money. Nonetheless, he is worth what he is paid tenfold.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 15th March 2023 at 18:11.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Whilst Hamilton , I believe I recall , has said that he would love to drive for them some day , since then , he , I believe I recall , has said that he would see his career out with Merc .

Since he changed his mind once , I guess he could again .

And , let's not forget he was beaten last year by young George .

I'm not so sure he has much choice but to stay there if they'll have him .
    And , the griping won't help .

I just read that Merc is looking at giving the hot motors to AM if the works team doesn't shape up soon .

6. Likes: Mia 01 (16th March 2023)
    Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    I really don't expect anything out of the ordinary to happen. With the loss of both the drivers and constructors titles Lewis is probably in a position where they have the upper hand on price negotiation.

That will get the rumors going but I doubt anybody is going to pay him top dollar for a switch. Both Red Bull and Ferrari beat him last year and they probably expect to do it this year as well without any contract games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Whilst Hamilton , I believe I recall , has said that he would love to drive for them some day , since then , he , I believe I recall , has said that he would see his career out with Merc .

Since he changed his mind once , I guess he could again .

And , let's not forget he was beaten last year by young George .

I'm not so sure he has much choice but to stay there if they'll have him .
    And , the griping won't help .

I just read that Merc is looking at giving the hot motors to AM if the works team doesn't shape up soon .
    That is true to some extent. I think the situation would be much different if they were racing for the championship. But we cannot take that away from George Russell.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 15th March 2023 at 21:51.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    I really don't expect anything out of the ordinary to happen. With the loss of both the drivers and constructors titles Lewis is probably in a position where they have the upper hand on price negotiation.

That will get the rumors going but I doubt anybody is going to pay him top dollar for a switch. Both Red Bull and Ferrari beat him last year and they probably expect to do it this year as well without any contract games.
    I very much doubt that is the way team bosses look at talent. If they do, Hulkenburg will not be on the grid today. The loss of the driver's title and constructors was down to Mercedes and the crappy car they brought for the 2022 season. Actually, it is the other way around l think.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 311 Times in 168 Posts
    Aww c'mon guys - why not go for Lewis & Fernando at Aston - that's got to be fun!

11. Likes: airshifter (17th March 2023)
    Liked 311 Times in 168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Just remind me, how many motors are they allowed to have in a season?
    And how many do you think they already have?
    Or, are we talking about motors for next season?

Ferrari could be a dark horse this season. If they can get on top of their engine reliability, they might surprise everyone with the real performance of their engine. Mind you it was the fastest in a straight line last season. There is a good chance that they have not properly turned the wick up thus far.
    William Shakespeare