Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Well of course, achievement counts for nothing nowadays. As you say it was luck, not talent. Seven titles just happen to fall in his lap while taking a stroll. If you have achieved anything substantial, you would not say these things. As you would recognize how bloody hard it is to attain one, not to talk of seven. You clearly can not stand his success in the sport. We have been here before.

I don't hear you saying the same for Alonso who is even older.
    I've done more than enough substantial stuff in my life to know none of it comes easy, yet I say these things.

I don't dislike any of the drivers really, some of them have had crap personalities or abilities but they are better drivers than the rest of us for the most part. But I simply don't idolize any of them for their accomplishments either. None of them did it in crap cars, and IMHO often the drivers with great track records against the other top drivers in top cars can easily make a bad move and end up with lesser records in a hurry.

If you want to build shrines to drivers go ahead, but don't think I'm going to do the same.

And if you actually paid attention, I mention Alonso right after Lewis. The names mean nothing other than some press coverage if they aren't driving well. Their value to the top teams will have a lot more to do with their driving then it will with press coverage.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    I've done more than enough substantial stuff in my life to know none of it comes easy, yet I say these things.

I don't dislike any of the drivers really, some of them have had crap personalities or abilities but they are better drivers than the rest of us for the most part. But I simply don't idolize any of them for their accomplishments either. None of them did it in crap cars, and IMHO often the drivers with great track records against the other top drivers in top cars can easily make a bad move and end up with lesser records in a hurry.

If you want to build shrines to drivers go ahead, but don't think I'm going to do the same.

And if you actually paid attention, I mention Alonso right after Lewis. The names mean nothing other than some press coverage if they aren't driving well. Their value to the top teams will have a lot more to do with their driving then it will with press coverage.
    Recognizing and appreciating talent is not idolizing as you put it. If you are able to properly appreciate talent without reservation, you would see that.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 184 Times in 148 Posts
    Wel, it is well known how you feel about Hamilton so l would say no more to you about the matter.
    LOL, you keep threatening to take you ball and run off, but you always come back an insult anybody who has contrarian view against yours. The world would be so much better if we could
    properly appreciate talent without reservation
    like you can.

4. Likes: airshifter (29th March 2023)
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    LOL, you keep threatening to take you ball and run off, but you always come back an insult anybody who has contrarian view against yours. The world would be so much better if we could like you can.
    Yawn!
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 25th March 2023 at 22:46.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    Recognizing and appreciating talent is not idolizing as you put it. If you are able to properly appreciate talent without reservation, you would see that.
    Once again, reading comprehension appears to escape your arguments. Having said they are all better drivers than us appreciates their talents. But a fast car isn't a talent, it's luck of the choices they have usually.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    I don't think anybody here questions whether Hamilton is talented .

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    I don't think anybody here questions whether Hamilton is talented .
    Hamilton is indeed a great driver, even if he did have the best car for the majority of his career, his many great performances over the years speaks for itself.

The GOAT term hasn't been used in the same sentence on here for quite a long time now.. so maybe the penny has finally dropped for one or two of us?

9. Likes: Mia 01 (28th March 2023)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Hamilton is indeed a great driver, even if he did have the best car for the majority of his career, his many great performances over the years speaks for itself.

The GOAT term hasn't been used in the same sentence on here for quite a long time now.. so maybe the penny has finally dropped for one or two of us?
    From my POV he has too many off days to be considered the GOAT and I feel he is lacking overall about 0.1-0.2 tenths per lap to the true GOAT's prime pace. Hamilton is not the best of all time that others claim.

11. Likes: Mia 01 (28th March 2023)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post

Hamilton's career is not over, so we should not discount him too early. Statistically, he currently is. On pace, it is impossible to really say, especially as Verstappen is laying down some astonishing times at the moment. To be fair, he was in a faster car but not with slow teammates. Even in the fast Mercedes, he still had to beat Rosberg who was super fast and Bottas was not shabby either. Certainly much different to any other multiple-world champion in recent memory, for instance, Verstappen who had it all laid out for him over the last two seasons, with his teammate assisting him at every turn.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th March 2023 at 12:43.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    That's why I place more worth in Hamilton's titles. He probably did have the best car for many years (like most champions). But unlike guys like Max and MS, Lewis is at least willing to battle for the title with his teammate.