Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

What is the perceived 2023 pecking order at this early stages?

Testing came and went like a blip. Redbull rolled onto the tarmac in commanding form. Looking very much like the car to beat this season as we more or less predicted in the off-season. Ferrari seemed quick but the engine failure for Sauber puts a big question mark on power unit reliability for Ferrari going into the heat of the long season's racing. They are looking like they may be taking some engine penalty this season more than last. Then again, the failure might be a blip. Mercedes turned up and simply underplayed their programme. It is not clear if they are in trouble and how bad it may be. But the whole thing about Mercedes is spiced up by the rumours that they are sandbagging. With the very bouncy nature of the track, it is not clear if porpoising is actually gone for good. Nearly all cars could be seen nodding away at some parts of the track.

But the big sensation out of testing seems to be Alonso and the Aston Martin. The Aston seems quicker than the Mercedes, such that some have actually ventured to say they are ahead of the Mercedes. Alonso fighting in the top three is any racing fan's dream for the 2023 season. That said, some teams appear to have gotten it wrong from the get-go. Mclaren seems to have eggs on their faces and the Alpine just does not seem to have stepped forward from where they were last season. The Hulk is back and Haas is looking like they have their chest out with confidence. Sauber is also looking very impressive in Bottas' hands. And the Williams is looking reliable and solid.

So if asked, how do you see the pecking order
    1. after this weekend's race,
    2. at mid-season
    3. and by the end of the season?
    Who is your money to win the driver's championship?
    Who shall finish 2nd and 3rd?

Is Mercedes sandbagging?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th February 2023 at 19:51.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    I don't really expect major changes at the top early in the season. RB seem to have got it right from the start, Ferrari are tweaking details, and Merc is still somewhat struggling to get the car together. I'm not sure personally if I buy the AM hype, they are much improved but then again so is much of the grid. In testing times Williams improved times more than any other team. Of course easy to move up from the bottom but it shows progress.

By mid season the limits on CFD and wind tunnel time might catch up to the frontrunners and allow the midfield to close some. The big teams are finding tweaks that would be easy to copy once proven to work. Everyone is still playing with aero packaging, and it seems there are huge variations in wings... front, rear, and beam wings.

Seasons end is anyones guess really. I'm sure at least some teams will find major speed here and there. The driver pairings will shake out and this might hurt RB and Ferrari some. I think Merc will do well on points as long as Lewis and George don't start clashing. But as always, if it goes sideways, things get crazy.

Max for the WDC, big three WCC, but hard to say which will come out on top.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Red Bull have to be favs... but I honestly have no idea what the pecking order really is. Can I have a try after the first race?

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
    1. Red Bull
    2. Ferrari
    2. Aston Martin
    4. Mercedes
    5.-20. Everybody else

Quote Originally Posted by Used to be Starter View Post
    1. Red Bull
    2. Ferrari
    2. Aston Martin
    4. Mercedes
    5.-20. Everybody else
    Thias is what all tyhe journalists at the test are saying. Alonso might be a factor in the championship fight. He may not win it, but he could turnout to to be a king maker.

The midfield would be tougher than last year, it would be a jungle of dog-eat-dog racing.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 3rd March 2023 at 10:41.
    William Shakespeare

All would be clear in practice 3 tomorrow.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    1. Red Bull
    2. Everyone else