Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Do we need more cars on the grid?

Raging since the close of last season is the ongoing standoff between the FIA and the F1M on should Andretti F1 be allowed to join the grid in the near future. What should be a discussion is sort of marred by the argument of who has the right to determine who should be allowed to join the grid. In all of this, the FIA President is seen to be dictatorial on the matter, and the F1M is seen to be responding with resistance to corporate as they see their rights to manage the sport being encroached upon by the FIA.
    The really interesting thing is the resistance by most of the teams; especially the big three. Their gripes are the potential reduction in their share of the F1 profit which would be reduced to 1/11th if Andretti joined the grid. I think we the fans can understand this since the teams have weathered the Covid pandemic that almost wiped out most of the teams financially from the grid

But is that a solid argument to block new entrants? The aspiration of F1 was always to grow the number of teams on the grid for as long as l could remember. The problem was, did they have what it takes to stay in the sport? Many have morphed into the teams that we know today. Some simply disappeared completely. Hence it doesn't make sense to see resistance to new entrants willing to join the grid. Any true F1 fan would jump with joy that a new team is joining the grid.

Besides, it looks very ugly to see such an attitude from the teams. It comes across as selfish and greedy. And the FIA not staying in its lane stinks of the sport being run by a dictatorship. That said, the F1M need to raise above this and lead the way. And the fair path is inclusiveness. They should not allow loud-mouth team principles with Trump mentality to build a wall that ring-fence F1 into a strict ten-teams operation. We want to see Porsche and Andretti in F1 don't we?

This is my view on the matter, l wonder what you all think?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 4th March 2023 at 13:00.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: airshifter (20th February 2023)
    Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    I think your post sums things up fairly well. The power struggle and the greed are both obvious, and given what we have seen on the grid with team changes over the years, it seems that they want to keep the club even more exclusive and pocket more money, regardless of what hoops new teams are willing to jump through.

Andretti has given nothing but solid evidence of long term plans, goals, commitment, and available funding. I personally also tend to think that having such a strong team that is US based isn't desired by many of the teams, as if they perform well it puts a dent in the image that there is only one true hub of F1 activity for the teams.

4. Likes: I am Tifosi (27th February 2023)
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    I believe that if there is space within the paddock and a potential new entrant can show that they have the resources to be competetive and come with a track record from other series then they should be allowed to enter F1.

Although I can see the current teams perspective of not wanting to receive a smaller share of F1 revenues, this is partly what the $200,000,000 new entry fee was supposed o soften the blow. And I do not believe they should have the power to veto a capable new entrant.
    Time is the enemy.

6. Likes: Bagwan (26th February 2023),I am Tifosi (27th February 2023)
    Liked 1,066 Times in 598 Posts
    Yes, thirteen teams for a full grid of 26 cars. Points from 8th to 10th would mean more.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

8. Likes: Bagwan (26th February 2023),I am Tifosi (27th February 2023)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The more the merrier! Andretti is more than capable. Other teams are worried about that.

With three F1 races in the USA, we need a better representation on the starting grid. If not, then F1 increases the chance of alienating American fans.

It is disturbing to see that some folks suddenly want to increase the entrance fee. They never mentioned increasing the fee before. They are scared.
    Last edited by I am Tifosi; 27th February 2023 at 13:43.

10. Likes: Bagwan (27th February 2023)
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by I am Tifosi View Post
    The more the merrier! Andretti is more than capable. Other teams are worried about that.

With three F1 races in the USA, we need a better representation on the starting grid. If not, then F1 increases the chance of alienating American fans.

It is disturbing to see that some folks suddenly want to increase the entrance fee. They never mentioned increasing the fee before. They are scared.
    Welcome to the fray .

You're right .
    They are scared .

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Welcome to the fray .

You're right .
    They are scared .
    +1 What Bagwan and Tifosi said.

More Cars = More Overtaking = More Excitement

More Cars = More Backmarkers For The Leaders To Navigate = More Strategy = More Excitement.

Its a no-brainer if you want more excitement.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Using the current thinking, teams like Tyrrell (entered in 1970, Champions in 1971 and 73) would never have been allowed to compete, and this is just one example. Personally I think it is obscene that teams like Red Bull (a soft drink company with no racing pedigree when they first bought the Jaguar team and the current Mercedes team are now trying to prevent other teams from entering. Hypocracy at its worst

14. Likes: airshifter (8th March 2023),Bagwan (8th March 2023)
    Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    With the FIA giving the go ahead, now the balls lands in the FOM decision on the matter. And I suspect it will get messy, with them trying to justify why NOT to allow another team in. Andretti was the only team of four that met the approval of the FIA, so it would be hard to make it seem as if the FIA was swinging the doors wide open.

It's hard to say how this one might end up shaking out. There is no doubt that the Andretti name, along with Cadillac behind them, would being in a huge amount of new revenue within the US market. Even with three tracks now, the US market has room for a lot of growth. But with the comments and obvious greed of the existing teams and everyone wanting a bigger piece of the pie, they will be stuck in a position of exposing that greed or accepting new challenges with new teams. And if they stick with the attitude of the "good old boys club" that exists only for their own profit, it might hurt them in the US market.

Time to see what happens in the snake pit now.

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
    Right now is the "sweet spot" for F1 and traditional racing. Over the next ten years automotive technology will change greatly and F1 will not be immune. It's been interesting to note that Formula E, soon to be Formula H, announced recently they are looking into hydrogen power instead of batteries. I've felt for a long time that the future of the automobile was hydrogen and definitely not battery power. We'll see how it plays out. Meanwhile F1 should enjoy what it has and accept new participants - assuming they have the resources to be there.