Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Petronas Mercedes W14 - Will it match the Redbull?

I have to say, l am waiting with curiosity to see what Mercedes do to bounce back from a very disappointing season. Mercedes has underperformed well below the expectations of its drivers. Especially Hamilton who was looking to address the setback of the 2021 season. So what would the W14 look like and can it bridge the gap to Redbull that would most likely be making a step forward?

It is nearly car unveiling time, so watch this space. Also, check out this article

https://medium.com/motor-racing/petr...w-48d6cf98d004
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 668 Times in 466 Posts
    We won't know for sure until we know for sure, but I really don't expect Merc to make up major ground on either RB or Ferrari unless they really roll the dice in an effort to make up for lost ground. It seems to me that overall the concept of the W13 had more issues than they were really expecting. It seems like overall it's a very draggy car, as they struggled in the high speed sections even with a known strong powerplant.

Towards seasons end they did seem to be getting a much better grip on things, but I think to some extent the higher scoring finishes were just as much others getting it wrong as it was Merc getting it right. The floor height changes might bring things more in their direction, but they seem to still be struggling with suspension somewhat as well.

I really don't expect anyone to challenge RB at the start of the season any more than they could this season. Ferrari blew it as much with strategy as they did the car, but overall the RB was still a stronger package through the season. It's rumored that RB were also still running overweight, and that they decided it wasn't worth the budget to worry too much about it until they had changes in the pipeline anyway. If they can manage to drop some weight, that might make up the gaps where some of the others were strong, especially on the lower speed stuff.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    We won't know for sure until we know for sure, but I really don't expect Merc to make up major ground on either RB or Ferrari unless they really roll the dice in an effort to make up for lost ground. It seems to me that overall the concept of the W13 had more issues than they were really expecting. It seems like overall it's a very draggy car, as they struggled in the high speed sections even with a known strong powerplant.

Towards seasons end they did seem to be getting a much better grip on things, but I think to some extent the higher scoring finishes were just as much others getting it wrong as it was Merc getting it right. The floor height changes might bring things more in their direction, but they seem to still be struggling with suspension somewhat as well.

I really don't expect anyone to challenge RB at the start of the season any more than they could this season. Ferrari blew it as much with strategy as they did the car, but overall the RB was still a stronger package through the season. It's rumored that RB were also still running overweight, and that they decided it wasn't worth the budget to worry too much about it until they had changes in the pipeline anyway. If they can manage to drop some weight, that might make up the gaps where some of the others were strong, especially on the lower speed stuff.
    If they were running overweight all through the 2022 season, one would expect they would focus on weight reduction for 2023. Which would mean; as you say, that Mercedes and Ferrari may still be behind next season. I think Mercedes would need to go back to the drawing board and pen out a new chassis using all they have learnt throughout the 2023 season. I agree with you, in that if they try to run the 2023 season on a tweaked W13 car, they would not gain grounds on Redbull. Ferrari had a very strong car, they simply did not get the most out of the car and the season. It is one thing to have a fast car, it is another to win with it. Liked the last two Vettel seasons at Ferrari, they majestically threw away all potential to win one of the championship titles. To be fair, Redbull was well ahead in all departments.

The 2023 season would be very boring if it turns out to be a repeat of the 2022 season. The 2022 Regulations and its amendments for 2023 would have failed completely to deliver on its promise of tougher battles for race wins.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerantonio View Post
    Mercedes are going to give up on their zero-pods and copy Red Bull’s race-winning downwash sidepods for next season’s W14, so declares former F1 driver Marc Surer.
    Whatever Merc do they will be playing catchup, its going to be very difficult. They are a very accomplished team though, it wouldn't surprise me if they catch up enough to be competitive and grab a few wins in the 2nd half of the season.

Let's not forget that Red Bull have been given a 10% reduction in Wind tunnel/CFD development time for their overspend. Wolf reckons they could have as much as 24% less, I'm not sure how he comes to that figure but either way, it really has to hamper RB's 2023 development.

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Whatever Merc do they will be playing catchup, its going to be very difficult. They are a very accomplished team though, it wouldn't surprise me if they catch up enough to be competitive and grab a few wins in the 2nd half of the season.

Let's not forget that Red Bull have been given a 10% reduction in Wind tunnel/CFD development time for their overspend. Wolf reckons they could have as much as 24% less, I'm not sure how he comes to that figure but either way, it really has to hamper RB's 2023 development.
    I've seen quotes from Georgie that suggest Merc have stuck with the zero concept .

And , since Newey can see the wind , a tunnel is superfluous anyway , so Red Bull will be fine .

Liked 98 Times in 56 Posts
    No. F1 is enters a new cycle each time the rules change. Its red bull on the front and Ferrari will get a liiiitle bit closer around 2025, in the end of current rules. Like it has been since 2010